Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

20,000 Posts, and a Special Review....2008 Lexus IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 01:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default 20,000 Posts, and a Special Review....2008 Lexus IS350

A Special Review of the 2008 Lexus IS350

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/

In a Nutshell: Generally good competition for the automatic RWD BMW 330 and Infiniti G35, but hampered by lack of manual transmission and AWD options.

Well, I joined CL in late 2003, and though I'm not in a posting contest with Henry (rominl), Mike (1SICKLEX), Andrew (Robarapta), Paul (bitkahuna), or any other CL member with a huge number of posts, nevertheless, I'm going to celebrate a milestone today.....20,000 posts. And, as I pondered over how to do that, and what I would post, I figured that, since car reviews have been my forte, I'd celebrate it with a review of (what else?) a new Lexus product. And I think it is fitting for several reasons. One, it is a car that many of you either own, are interested in, or are contemplating a purchase/lease of. Two, I owned one of its predecessors myself, a yellow 2001 IS300, when I first joined CL, and, though unlikely, a future purchase of another IS for me cannot be completely ruled out, especially if they do an AWD IS350. Three, the IS350, in some ways, is an advance over the IS300, though there are some annoying marketing omissions and some things dropped from the old car. Fourth, though I've already reviewed the current-generation IS250 AWD, the RWD IS350, in a number of ways, is a totally different animal, especially in engine, drivetrain, and chassis. As such, IMO, it merited a totally new review, rather than a shorter mini or condensed-review.........I wasn't going to be lazy and take the easy way out, especially for a milestone post.

Lexus, in 2001, first introduced the IS300 to the American market as an extension of the Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS200 series sold in Canada and other overseas countries. To some extent, it was a response to Infiniti marketing the entry-level ill-fated G20 with its 2.0L four. But Lexus chose to go with the larger 3.0L straight-six in the American market.......there was a 2.0L engine available from the Altezza/IS200, but Lexus did not feel that it was suitable for the American market (I disagreed.....I would have seriously considered the IS200 had it been offered here). But, as it was, the 3.0L was made standard, and, even so, I liked the car so much in bright yellow that I bought one myself and kept it for the better part of 5 years. One of my closest friends and co-workers was at the 2001 Washington, D.C. Auto Show with me when we first saw a yellow IS300 on the floor, unlocked. We got in, I looked around, felt everything and quietly said, "Rick, this is my next car". He didn't believe me, but I was serious.....three months later, I had one. In fact, that is how I discovered CL....searching for IS300 technical service bulletin data on forums. The rest is history.

But a major marketing goof was made the first year. A manual transmission was not offered....this, in a car that designed to compete with BMW's 3-series. Lexus, rightly so, took a lot of flak for that (though I was not interested in a manual version myself....our DC-area traffic is too dense for a stick). Infiniti was to repeat that mistake, with its first-year G35 (another car designed to compete with the 3-series), by not offering a stick either....and they also took some flak. Anyhow, the 2002 IS300 rectified that error with a honest 5-speed manual, and a hatchback, 5-door IS300 SportCross was introduced that did little else but sit on the dealer lots and collect dust and bird droppings...it was one of the poorest-selling Lexus models ever. In my DC area, even with its huge numbers of cars, I don't remember seeing more than 5 or 6 of them......mostly in yellow or black.

The slow-selling SportCross was dropped after a couple of years, and the IS300 sedan soldiered on for a few more years, without any other major changes. Some power convienence features were added...........I can remember how happy Ryan (flipside909) was when they added the seat/mirror memory feature. But some badly needed features were never added. The RWD IS300 never got AWD despite its inadequate traction and tricky handling in snow, even with all-season tires, traction control, and snow-mode transmission feature. The prop-rod supported hood, taken from the sister Toyota Altezza, was WAY out of place in a Lexus product. And, though I wouldn't say that it was badly needed, a power tilt-telescope feature for the steering column would have been nice...it was never offered either. It was, however, a superbly built car, despite a couple of small automatic transmission shifting quirks in the ECU programing that would come and go. It was at the very top of Consumer Reports reliability rankings in their data base, outdoing even the LS430, and one year shared the VERY top spot with the Honda CR-V.

Lexus decided to replace it, though, with a completely redesigned IS250/350 line, dumped the durable and superb in-line 6, and replaced it with the 2.5L V6 IS250 and the 3.5L V6 IS350. AWD (finally) was added to the 250 as an option, but not the 350. At least partially repeating the mistake of 2001, a manual transmission was offered only on the RWD IS250, not the AWD version or on the 350. That will, of course, once again, hurt the 350's competition with the BMW 330.....and the 330 also comes in an Xi AWD version. Numerous luxury and sport packages, however, were offered on the second-generation IS models, and the interiors, at least on the surface, were made more plush-looking than the Altezza-based IS300 interior with its chronograph-style gauges and real metal chrome-ball shifter. But, as the review will point out, some of that glitz and plushness inside, despite its eye appeal, comes with more plasticky and less-durable materials than on the IS300. The same is true of the new ES350, which lost a LOT of interior quality over the ES330 that it replaces......but that is the subject for another thread.

Having reviewed both the IS250 AWD and now the IS350, I still have mixed opinons about the series. There are things I like and things I dislike. And, perhaps because of the expansion in the equipment and package options, these cars are not cheap, especially considering that my own IS300 listed for around 31K. My test IS350, with the Luxury and NAV packages, started at 36K and listed for the better part of 45K even without all the available options.......and more packages are available if your wallet is thick enough. And the upcoming IS-F high-performance sport sedan, due out in February (I wanted to test the IS-F for this special review, but Lexus won't release it yet) will run even more....a LOT more. While final pricing is not set, I've heard of 55-60K estimates.

So, let's take a closer and in-depth look now at the IS350, the latest Lexus BMW-fighting machine.

Model Reviewed: 2008 Lexus IS350

Base Price: $35,905

Major Options:

Headlamp Washers: $100

Luxury Package: $4325

NAV system/Bluetooth: $2550

Front/Rear Parking Sensors: $500

Preferred Accecssory Package: $210

Rear Lip Spoiler: $355

Destination: $765

List Price as Reviewed: $44,710

Exterior Color: Smoky Granite Mica

Interior: Black Leather

Drivetrain:

RWD, Longitudinal-mounted 3.5L VVT-i V6, 306 HP @ 6400 RPM, 277 ft-lbs. torque @ 4800 RPM, 6-speed sequential automatic transmission with
manual paddle-shifts.

I couldn't tell from the specs and the literature if an LSD (Limited-Slip-Differential) was included or not.

PLUSSES:

Substantially more power than the IS300 it replaces.

Silky-smooth, refined powertrain.

Well-done brakes.

Many different option packages offered.

Comfortable, well-designed front seats with high-quality leather.

Superlative backlit gauges.

Killer stereo.

Typical Toyota-Lexus flawless paint job.

Slick-acting shift lever and steering column paddles.

Relatively good ride-handling combination for a sports sedan.

Nicely padded upper-dash a major improvement over the IS300.

Hood struts another major improvement over the prop-rod IS300.

Nice though generally subdued exterior paint colors, with a reasonably wide choice.

Three different interior colors instead of the usual two.

Choice of metallic or wood interior trim.

Front and rear dome/reading lights.

Extremely well-finished trunk.

Arctic-Cool air conditioning.

Clear, well-marked controls and displays.

Generally good and solid exterior trim, hardware, and mirrors.

MINUSES:

Pricey with major options.

Tight headroom, with sunroof, in both front and rear seats.

Munchkin-sized rear seat and legroom unfit for taller persons.

No manual transmission or AWD system offered like on its brother IS250.

Very poor underhood access.

Doors, hood, and sheet metal not as solid as previous IS300.

Too much plastic on the lower dash, buttons, shifter, and console.

Noise isolation not as good as in other Lexus products.

NAV system and controls clear but complex.

Cloth seats and 55-series tires no longer available like on IS300.

Standard automatic transmission blunts sense of acceleration, even with manual paddle-shifts.

Low ground clearance of body and trim panels invites damage from speed bumps and angled driveways.

As you first walk up to the new IS, you notice that it is roughly the same size as the old car, but perhaps with a slightltly lower roofline (more on that later about headroom). The new front end styling is roughly similiar to the new ES350; the rear end shorter and more bob-tailed. The low front dam under the grille and low body skirts on the sides may look sporty, but invite damage from speed bumps, driveways, and other bstructions....another classic example of putting form before function. The headlights upsweep and flow back more, the twin outside mirrors stand out more from the body, and the cat's eye taillights are completely different from the sport-type, clear-plastic-lenses of the old car. The outside hardware and trim seems OK and solid enough (though the chrome plastic grille feels a little flimsy); the body sheet metal, doors, hood, and trunk are noticeably less solid than the old car. The choice of 10 exterior paint colors is wider than on a number of other vehicles these days, and the colors themselves, though somewhat muted
except for the gorgeous Matador Red Mica, is nice enough......in addition to the superb Matador red, I liked the Desert Sage Metallic (a smoky metallic green) and the always-nice Starfire White Pearl.

Open the gas strut-supported hood (a major improvement over the cheap prop-rod of the previous car, despite the lighter,thiner-gauge hood itself), and you'll want to kick the guy who designed the underhood compartment. NOTHING on the engine block or hardware is readily accessable because of the huge, silver plastic engine cover. The battery, though exposed for easy access, is back up on the left side of the rear firewall. The oil dipstick, oil filler cap, and windshield washer cap is exposed......nothing else. As I said recently with the MazdaSpeed 3 and Infiniti M45, there ought to be a law against designs like this....the stylists want to cover up everything underhood for a slick, tidy, aero look, and you can't REACH anything.

Now, go around back and open the trunk (the release is inside, next to the hood release). The rakish rear roofline cuts down on the size of the trunk opening, and the trunk lid itself feels of thinner metal than the old car. But inside, like the old car, the new trunk is extremely well-finished. The black carpet on the floor and the sides is very thick and plush. and another, thick black carpeted pull-out mat rests on top of THAT. The traditional Lexus First-Aid kit, bound in nice black leather, sits off in a little well on the left, and the equally nice black leather case for the Owners' Manual nd factory suppliments in a matching little well on the right. The spare tire and jack (I forgot to check and see if it was a real spare tire and wheel or just a dummy) lie in the usual place under the floor (My old IS300 had a real spare tire and alloy wheel). The rear seats don't fold down, but there is a small pass-through for long, narrow items such as fishing poles or skis. The usual yellow child-emergency handle sticks down from the roof.

Open the doors, get in, and it is clear that the interior is totally different from the old car's. Gone are the unique Swiss-watch-style chronograph-style gauges, orange dash lights, metal chrome-ball shifter, and hard-ridge, unpadded dash. Gone also are the old car's cloth-seat option. The new NAV system is purposely designed-in instead of just being grafted into an upper dash flip-up panel like on the old car. And more different interior colors, packages, and trim options are available as well. I found the leather on the seats, steering wheel, and shift-**** quite nice.....of virtual Jaguar quality. The seats themselves were comfortable and well-shaped for supprt, but still accomodating of larger torsos and legs. The new gauges, with their electroflouroescent white back-lighting and thin white needles, were as good or better than those in many BMWs....large, ultra-clear, and easily visible. The steering wheel buttons were clear, solid, and easily operated. Sport-package cars get alumnium-drilled foot pedals (my car didn't have it). There are dome and reading lights built into the ceiling, both front and rear. The interior hardware seem generally well-done (better, IMO, than on the disappointing ES350)...the glovebox latch and console cover lid closed solidly and securely (those are weak spots, BTW, in many new cars). The stereo, though not quite the unbelievable Mark Levinson unit from the LS460, was nevertheless a killer also....there is no such thing as a poor Lexus sound system. Classic 80's Heavy Metal (Judas Priest, AC/DC, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, etc...among my favorites) in this car means just that...H-E-A-V-Y. All of the controls, buttons, dials, etc...are clear and legible in the Toyota/Lexus tradition. The NAV system, likewise, is complex but clear and legible (I haven't seen a NAV system yet that I consider simple, but of course I'm from the old school of simpler dash controls and am not into much high-tech stuff).

But the interior has three things I thought were sub-par. One, mentioned earlier, was the lack of headroom, front and rear, under the sunroof housing.....even with the power seat controls down all the way....though the rear headroom wasn't as bad as in the Ford Fusion or Satura Aura/Chevy Malibu twins. The lower, more rakish roof this year, another concession to the stylists, pays its price. Two, the rear seat itself, like on the old car. is fit for little more than Munchkins and little kids, especially with the front seat back for tall persons. And, three, the plastic and buttons/dials on the lower dash and console were made of noticeably lighter and cheaper, though better-finished, plastic, than those on the old car. The Auburn wood trim on my test car's door panels and console (metallic trim is standard) was polished a little too much for my tastes (I like matte-wood trim), but that is not a complaint...just a matter of personal preference. In fact, that is one thing the old car lacked and the new car, at least, has.....an adequate amount of wood trim.

OK, start it up. As expected of a new Lexus and most upmarket cars today. with the proximity key in the area, press the START button and the 3.5L V6 settles into (what else?) a Lexus-smooth, quiet idle....though that hush-hush idle disappears fast when you hit the gas. This is not an LS or a GS.....or even an ES.....when RPM's start to build. You definitely hear the engine and exhaust, and know you are in a sports sedan. The engine generally pulls strongly, but its rather peaky nature (max torque of 277 ft-lbs. is at 4800 RPM) and automatic transmission combine to blunt some of the performance, even shifting manually with the nice, firm-acting steering wheel paddles. Lexus quotes a 5.3 second 0-60 time, but this car, to me, didn't feel quite that fast, even though it was fully broken in (with 3700 miles) and I didn't have to baby it as much as with many of my new-car reviews. The response is a little flat at first, but then as RPM's build, you get that nice shove in the back you expect from a sports sedan...but you are definitely not going to keep up with the BMW M-cars. Much of it is the automatic transmission......this engine, IMO, would be substantially quicker with a true manual, but Lexus, as of yet, will not offer one with the 3.5L.

The transmision itself, though sapping some power from the engine, is otherwise flawless, which is to be expected from a Lexus, notwithstanding some of the shifting quirks of the old IS and ES. The new transmission, with six speeds (the old one had five) was smooth, quiet, shifted silkily in full-automatic mode, and almost as silkily manually with the paddles. The shift lever, as I indicated earlier, had a nice-feeling leather wrap, but the plastic lever itself felt notably less solid and snappy then the all-metal shifter and metal chrome ball in the old car.

Noise control is found somewhat lacking in the ride as well. Ths IS350, on the road, was significantly noisier than either the current-generation ES350, GS300, and LS460 that I reviewed....and that of my old IS300 with the now-discontinued 55-series all-season tires. Road noise from the tires and wind noise from the weather seals were both noticeable, but still not too bad.......after all, sport sedan or not, this is still a Lexus.

The ride-handling combination, though, was not bad at all for the level of steering handling response you got, tough the two were not as superbly integrated as in most BMWs. The ride, as to be expected with the relatively firm suspension and low-profile 45-series tires, was a little on the stiff side for my tastes.....definitely stiffer than on my old IS300 with the 55-series tires, but not stiff enough that I found it objectionable (I did not list it in the MINUS column above). Bumps were heard and felt with a mild thud, but the ride on good pavement was relatively smooth. Steering response was good, though not quite as sport-sharp as some othe recent sports sedans I've sampled, and the steering feel was good but, of course, not the equal of BMW's superb road feel. Sharp cornering was relatively flat, with little body roll....the suspension is just stiff enough to keep the body flat in corners but not overly harsh. Again, though it's a little stiffer ride than I like, still a good overall chassis/steering/suspension job by the Lexus engineers.....they earned their pay wih this one. And, of course, this is not meant to be a soft-riding luxury car.

Brakes, like on the last IS300, are definitely one of the car's best features. They stop shortly, smoothly, with good pedal modulation, a reasonably firm pedal, and almost no sponginess. They come standard, of course, as befits a Lexus, with numerous electronic braking aids. I didn't get a chance to sample the aluminum pedals on the Sport package, but the standard pedals had no problems with height, spacing, or my big shoes hanging up on them like they do on some cars.

The verdict?

Lexus, overall, has done a good job with the new IS series, though its overall build quality and solidness of materials, while still not bad, are a slight step down from the last-generation IS300 it replaces (that, of course, is the case with several new Lexus produsts). Though not quite BMW road-worthy, the RWD chassis is a good combination of handling and ride. The automatic transmisson is smooth and silky, but hampers the otherwise powerful V6 too much..........Lexus needs to serious consider adding a true 6-speed manual or SMT for sport-oriented drivers. Though bad-weather drivers have the AWD option on the IS250 with its smaller engine, that car is sluggish enough that AWD, IMO, should be seriously considered for the 350 as well. The interior is more plush than the old car, but seems to have less-durable materials...though the seat leather is superb. And it is not a car for NBA guys, especially in the kiddie-car rear seat.

The obvious comparison......IS350 vs. BMW 330? I'd still choose the IS for build quality, interior ambience, paint quality, powertrain smoothness, and dealer service/courtesy. I'd take the BMW for its unmatched steering feel, chassis/suspension sophistication, handling, engine response, and AWD availaility for bad weather.

The choice, of course, is up to you....as with the Infiniti G35, Audi A4, Mercedes C-Class, and the IS350's other competitiors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-08 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 05:20 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

first let me say...that was a bloody long review, but i read it all, and that says a lot. lol

second, as seen in my signature, i also own a 1st gen IS300. let me say that that car is in so many ways a disapointment. It was made of cheap stuff, and equals my toyota sienna on quality. Sure the car has never ever broken down, never any troubles with anything, but the interior (black) is filled with everything plastic. no wood, no leather (i had the cloth seats), just plain old black plastic. plus the cup holders were a mess too. dont get me started on those dumb things.

but once i get into the car and start driving, the car is a dream. make me forget about all the quirks of the car.

since the 2nd gen came out, i have been in them a few times. let me just say that the interior design is a major improvement. IMO, there is nothing that was on the IS300 that i would put in the IS350. Except maybe the green backlighting needs to be changed for blue/white.

now, after my small review, let me answer the question about the spare wheel. it is not a full alloy. its a yellow dummy. lol

congrats on your post count!
Old 01-13-08, 05:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the review and congrats!!!
Old 01-13-08, 06:23 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Good review MM. I like the IS but iI wish the Taillights were different. I know you don't do long term test but one of buddies had AN IS 350 he had a problem with it leaking oil.
Old 01-13-08, 07:11 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congratulations for the posts !

I have not read the review yet, but will. It's takes time to read everything on the net, I commend you on the length of time it must take you to do so many and great quality reviews.
Old 01-13-08, 09:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the 20k milestone Mike!

Quick question:

Since you've tested both the IS250 and IS350, do you think that the IS250 is "sufficient", or is the IS350 "worth the extra premium"? Which do you think is a better value when you compare these two (instead of comparing it to its competitors)?

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 01-13-08 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 09:47 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bit of a question... in near the beginning of your review, you've said Lexus, in 2001, first introduced the IS300 to the American market as an extension of the Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS200 series sold in Canada and other overseas countries.

I've never heard of IS200 or Altezza ever in Canada.... only IS300, L-tuned and sportcross is offered in Canada as far as I know
Old 01-14-08, 05:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
A bit of a question... in near the beginning of your review, you've said Lexus, in 2001, first introduced the IS300 to the American market as an extension of the Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS200 series sold in Canada and other overseas countries.

I've never heard of IS200 or Altezza ever in Canada.... only IS300, L-tuned and sportcross is offered in Canada as far as I know
It just depended on what country you were in, and whether the Lexus name was marketed there or not. The IS series, particularly the 200, was just a rebadged Altezza with slightly different trim. In Canada, as you note, the IS200 may not have been offered, but the 300 was. My comment was based on a very broad, worldwide scale....the point was that is was the same car, and varied only by nameplate and engine size.
Old 01-14-08, 05:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Good review MM. I like the IS but iI wish the Taillights were different. I know you don't do long term test but one of buddies had AN IS 350 he had a problem with it leaking oil.
Thanks.

Did he drive at too-high RPM's while the oil was still cold? A cold engine should be warmed up slowly. High RPM's at cold temperatures can cause high oil pressure and weaken the seals.
Old 01-14-08, 05:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
congratulations for the posts !

I have not read the review yet, but will. It's takes time to read everything on the net, I commend you on the length of time it must take you to do so many and great quality reviews.
Thanks.

You're right. I don't do them in 10 minutes. That's one reason why you don't see even more of them. I put a lot of time and effort into them mainly because I haven't been impressed with many of the auto reviews I've read in the newspaper auto sections.....some of them, IMO, are awful. Car and Driver, Road and Track, and some of the other auto mags do a good job, though....I've always liked Car and Driver's write-ups. But those mags rate and test cars mostly from a sporty, track-oriented setup, and their staff is mostly hard-driving enthusiasts. My reviews, on the other hand, are done for a different purpose.....to give you guys a complete and thorough overview of the cars, a good idea of what you are getting for your money (you guys have to pay for your cars out of your pocket instead of driving donated ones like the mags do), and what the cars are like in everyday driving conditions.....when you buy a car, of course, you will usually have to live with it for some time. I'm not terribly interested in minimum 0-60/quarter mile times, G-limit cornering, or panic-stop braking distances. First, with the (usually) brand-new cars I'm driving, you aren't going to be driving at the limits anyway, and, second, that's what you have the enthusiast mags for.....to give you those performance-at-the-limit figures. My reviews are not the place for that.

Consumer Reports, in my experience, was and still is the best publication, not necessarily for general auto write-ups, but for auto reliability. They get more data and input from actual car owners than anybody else in the buisness, with the possible exception of J.D. Power. And their reliability charts and general chart format is simpler then Power's and often more up-to-date..

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-14-08 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-14-08, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Congrats on the 20k milestone Mike!

Quick question:

Since you've tested both the IS250 and IS350, do you think that the IS250 is "sufficient", or is the IS350 "worth the extra premium"? Which do you think is a better value when you compare these two (instead of comparing it to its competitors)?
Thanks.

It was not a direct comparison. The IS250 I tested had AWD, which, with its smaller engine, weight and drag, combined with the automatic, made the car MUCH slower than the automatic RWD 350. If you want acceleration, of course, get the 350....and it only comes in RWD. But even the 350, as I noted in the review, could be faster than it is if Lexus would offer a stick with it, which it (currently) does not. The 250, in RWD form, DOES offer a stick.....that could be a good choice if you want to save some money, have reasonable acceleration, get better gas mileage, and maybe have a little better underhood access....the 350's underhood access is awful.
But with RWD, of course, you will give up traction on slippery roads...the RWD version is not a good snow car even with ABS, all-season tires, traction/stability control, and electronic winter transmision modes. That is one reason why I didn't keep my own IS longer than I did (4 years).

Interiorwise, there is little difference betwen the 250 and 350....most of the differences depend more on the options and trim packages rather than the car's model line. Perhaps the biggest interior difference is between the metallic and wood-trimmed versions (I, of couse, have always liked wood).

If I myself were buying a new IS, out of my pocket, I would take the 250AWD...especially after my good experience with 2.5L AWD Subarus. Yes, it is sluggish compared to other cars in its class, but acceleration, though nice to have, is not as terribly big a priority with me as traction. And, I would say, forget ANY IS model if you are going to regularly carry tall people in the rear seat.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-14-08 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-14-08, 06:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the automatic shifts significantly faster and more consistant than I could if I was driving a manual. 250 6MT gets 4 mpg less than the auto, go see for yourself at the website. Shifter feel is not great, even more so since I came from a honda who makes some of the best feeling and smoothest manuals out there
Old 01-14-08, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
first let me say...that was a bloody long review, but i read it all, and that says a lot. lol

second, as seen in my signature, i also own a 1st gen IS300. let me say that that car is in so many ways a disapointment. It was made of cheap stuff, and equals my toyota sienna on quality. Sure the car has never ever broken down, never any troubles with anything, but the interior (black) is filled with everything plastic. no wood, no leather (i had the cloth seats), just plain old black plastic. plus the cup holders were a mess too. dont get me started on those dumb things.

but once i get into the car and start driving, the car is a dream. make me forget about all the quirks of the car.

since the 2nd gen came out, i have been in them a few times. let me just say that the interior design is a major improvement. IMO, there is nothing that was on the IS300 that i would put in the IS350. Except maybe the green backlighting needs to be changed for blue/white.

now, after my small review, let me answer the question about the spare wheel. it is not a full alloy. its a yellow dummy. lol

congrats on your post count!
Thanks. And thanks for the spare tire info. (I check so many things when I review a car that I occasionally forget something...and it is not alwsys in the brochure or web site). That, then, is just cost-cutting on the new one...the old car DID have a real spare.

No, the old car did not have a luxury interior...but it was, IMO, a GOOD grade of plastic, unlike the new IS with its ligher-grade plastic inside. My 2001 had the black cloth seats like yours. I actually liked the cloth more than the Alcantra Leather.....the cloth was cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter (until seat heaters kick in), offered more grip, and was generally easier to take care of. But the standard leather in the new car is superb...IMO, of Jaguar quality.

Did you also notice that the old car has a quirk in the climate-control dials that often resets the fresh-air intake to Recirculate when you want fresh-air? That is something that has been taken care of in the new car...and the new automatic transmission shifter, though not as durable or classy as the metal chrome ball in the old car, is less restrictive to use and allows more different shift programs.
Old 01-14-08, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the automatic shifts significantly faster and more consistant than I could if I was driving a manual. 250 6MT gets 4 mpg less than the auto, go see for yourself at the website. Shifter feel is not great, even more so since I came from a honda who makes some of the best feeling and smoothest manuals out there
I'll take your word on the shifter feel............I haven't tested a new MT IS250, but I wasn't impressed with the shift feel in the old IS300's manual. And I agree that Honda indeed does some of the best manual transmissions on the planet...even more amazing when you consider that most of them are FWD, with the transmission itself out in front, some distance away from the shifter and clutch pedal, necessating long linkages.

Manual-vs. Automatic gas mileage figures can't always be taken from official EPA numbers. The published numbers are from strict controlled lab tests...what you actually get on the road will depend on driving habits, transmission/final drive gearing, road conditions, air and engine temperature, and many other factors. Though many modern automatics are indeed more efficient than earlier ones, and closer to manual transmissions in mileage, in most cases, a well and carefully-driven stick will still outdo the slushbox in real-world conditions.

If, however, in this case, a well-driven, RWD, 250 MT will actually GET worse mileage than the same car with an automatic (and that, I don't know), then I'll stand corrected.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-14-08 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-14-08, 10:22 AM
insider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

powertrain smoothness? Are you saying you feel the Lexus V6 is smoother than the BMW inline six?

Quick Reply: 20,000 Posts, and a Special Review....2008 Lexus IS350