Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one?
NEW Acura TL
74.55%
2005 Mercedes Benz E 320
25.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

which car to get : TL or E320

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 06:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mike...........change the poll title. The choice was between a new TL and a 2005 E320. You put 2005 TL and 2005 E320.
Done, I always like the current generation E-class, but in this case, between the 2 choices, I think TL is more suitable for a 19-year old, plus I think it's probably an overall better car.
Old 01-12-08, 07:17 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll say TL, also. Keep in mind, working in a dealership or knowing someone who works in a dealership is not indicative of how reliable a car is. You could work at a Toyota Corolla (the most reliable car on earth) dealership and see nothing but but problems with Corollas. Does that make them a POS? No.
Now, I know Corolla dealerships don't exist but I'm trying to make a point. Service departments exist to fix issues with cars, so what do you find there? You got it, cars with issues.
Old 01-12-08, 07:27 AM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for $35k i would get a used bmw... e46 m3. if you had a TL and pulled up next to an m3, you would feel hopeless and inadequate.
Old 01-12-08, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by flipsp33d
for $35k i would get a used bmw... e46 m3. if you had a TL and pulled up next to an m3, you would feel hopeless and inadequate.
Why? What's hopeless about a TL? Though it is not my favorite Acura by any means (that honor goes to the RL), there is nothing really wrong with it. It is a good car at a reasonable price. It won't accelerate and corner as well as an M3, but so what? Not everyone wants (or needs) a racing car....and the TL is a much better 4-season car that is more useful in winter.
Old 01-12-08, 12:24 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why? What's hopeless about a TL? Though it is not my favorite Acura by any means (that honor goes to the RL), there is nothing really wrong with it. It is a good car at a reasonable price. It won't accelerate and corner as well as an M3, but so what? Not everyone wants (or needs) a racing car....and the TL is a much better 4-season car that is more useful in winter.
what's the point of a 4 season car for a kid that lives in texas? i agree the TL is a good car. it's got 4 door and honda practicality and despite being fwd, i've read long ago that it's quicker on a track than an is350. however, $35k is a lot of money and you would have turn down a lot of better cars out there before you consider a TL.
Old 01-12-08, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by flipsp33d
what's the point of a 4 season car for a kid that lives in texas? i agree the TL is a good car. it's got 4 door and honda practicality and despite being fwd, i've read long ago that it's quicker on a track than an is350. however, $35k is a lot of money and you would have turn down a lot of better cars out there before you consider a TL.
Depends in where you are in TX. North TX gets snow and ice storms, especially up around Amarillo. FWD helps in rain, too, not just winter conditions. But I agree...he will have to go drive them and decide for himself.
Heck, when I was 19, I liked and drove some cars that my friends didn't particularly like.
Old 01-12-08, 01:34 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Between those two, the TL. But, he should really consider an Audi or Lexus.
Old 01-12-08, 05:34 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

For 35K you can get a nicely optioned IS250, as that is what I would do. But between those two I would get the TL.
Old 01-13-08, 07:59 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

i know there's many other choices that you can get for 35k... but those are the 2 cars that he's looking it.

my cousin is reading this thread but wont make a decision yet since he's in the middle of moving/adjusting in to the new school.. i think he's moving to a&m.

he was actually looking at audis and a few SUVs, but narrowed his choices to the TL and E-class.
Old 01-13-08, 10:47 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by texan629
exactly, this board has mostly asian members so they will be biased towards japanese cars. If acura is american does that mean there's the Big 4 now?
That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard this week. WOW!

Originally Posted by passnu2
im going to say look at the IS250.

I have owned many Acura TLs and they are not as great of a car as everyone thinks. Trust me they have there fair share of troubles just as a Benz does. To be honest im not sure how most of the stuff isnt posted in write ups? so im going to say stay away from the TL both from having worked at an Acura dealer for a year back in 05/06 and having owned many TLs as you can see in my sig.

i would think more reliable and a better car IMO would be an IS250 awd? not the power of the TL but having an IS350 and comparing it to the TL.

Many may ask why i kept leasing the TL if i had so many troubles. Well my work paid for it and i am friends with the owner of the dealership. so i could drive a ford taurus for a company car or lease a TL at no expense to me?? the company suffered greatly back when the economy crashed and i was out of work for close to a year and this is why and when i worked at Acura.

Hope this is of help and good luck on the purchase!
I noticed you've had older TL's (up to '05). Too bad, because the TL was greatly improved for '07 / '08. I drive TL's all day long (all years) and there is no comparison. The '07's + feel waaay more solid right from the start of the engine. The interiors are also much improved which many people may not realize.
Old 01-13-08, 12:12 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'd say just get a g35 and call it a day. the tl body is not becoming dated, and while it is very nice, IT'S NOT one of those cars with a TIMELESS
Old 01-13-08, 03:36 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by excluesive
i'd say just get a g35 and call it a day. the tl body is not becoming dated, and while it is very nice, IT'S NOT one of those cars with a TIMELESS
The TL's design is a lot more timeless than the G35. And the TL also has a much higher quality interior.

I would say Lexus IS250 or TL. But then again I too don't agree with a 19 year old buying a $35K car. He should be buying a Civic or something.

Where is he getting this money from again??
Old 01-13-08, 06:46 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

The TL actually has decent modding potential. Put good tires on it, a descent suspension with drop, cold air intake, upgraded rear sway bar, and the sucker becomes a whole different vehicle.
Old 01-13-08, 07:19 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I voted for the TL because I was pretty much set on getting that car but ended up getting the much cheaper used 02 RSX because I did not want to make any payments. I loved the interior and exterior of the current TL. You should tell your cousin to wait for the newly redesigned 2009 Acura TL rumored to have SH-AWD that's coming out in a couple of months.
Old 01-14-08, 03:28 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Thomas C
I voted for the TL because I was pretty much set on getting that car but ended up getting the much cheaper used 02 RSX because I did not want to make any payments. I loved the interior and exterior of the current TL. You should tell your cousin to wait for the newly redesigned 2009 Acura TL rumored to have SH-AWD that's coming out in a couple of months.
It won't be out that soon. It hasn't even been revealed yet.

Quick Reply: which car to get : TL or E320