Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one?
NEW Acura TL
74.55%
2005 Mercedes Benz E 320
25.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

which car to get : TL or E320

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 01:07 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me the E-Class is the best looking Executive car class and I always
enjoy looking at them, BUT...

-The kid is 19 and let's face it the E Class is an "old man" car.

- As people mentioned before, if it were new, it is one thing, but a USED E
class does not exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Is a new C class an option? I think they look quite nice in some colors and
with the right wheels
Old 01-11-08, 01:48 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That is ashame you have not been happy with your TL. That does not mean the TL is not a great car. My parents own a 99 TL and 03 CL and have never had one issue with those cars. They have been much more reliable and trouble free then my supposidly better made GS430. I know alot of people with TLs especially the current gen and have talked to a bunch more and they all have said they really like the TL and have not had any issues. Working at an Acura dealership/service dept or any dealership you are definitely going to see a bunch of problems and issues with those cars but it does not mean that is the norm. I know someone who worked at a Lexus dealership and he pretty much said the same thing that their is alot of problems with Lexus cars and can't see why they are rated so high but that is because that is all he sees everyday is Lexus cars being worked on with problems.

Saying the TL has as many issues as the E class just does not hold any water considering all the data from surveys, consumer reports, edmonds, etc. You are much more likely to have a more trouble free experience with the TL then the E class, you can't argue that, also many of the issues with TLs were related to people not liking the stiffer ride, squeeks/rattles/ things that are not going to cost much to fix or leave you stranded on the road or without a car.

An IS is a nice car but current Lexus models are having their share of problems too, look at all the threads on the newer lexus cars. I would recommend him getting a less expensive and larger TSX over the IS if he was going for a car that size but I still think even a TSX is not really a great car for a 19 year old as they are still pretty expensive and unless he is getting a very good high paying secure job at his age something a lot less expensive would be much better in his position.

Why doesn't he wait until he is a little older with more money/experience with cars/maturity/job security before he goes getting a expensive luxury car from upmarket brands, 30-35K cars are very expensive for kids his age and are more for people in their upper 20s,30's, and 40's. I just have a issue with people recommending 19 year olds getting pricey luxury cars that don't really offer much over regular cars aside from a nameplate/prestige/few options when they should be getting something much more reasonable/practical like a used/new Accord, civic, Corrola, Scion Tc, Altima, Sentra, Mazda 3, Mazda 6, Prelude, Integra, RSX, etc. I know so many younger guys around his age who end up getting themselves into a ton of debt because they go out and get cars that are too expensive, get expensive apartments/houses they can't afford, get big expensive TVs, electronics, go out to expensive places, etc. Then they find out they can't afford all that stuff and are stuck paying off something for along time with terrible credit. Spending 20K or under for a car at his age is much smarter then spending 30-35K or over for a car that will be more expensive to maintain, use more expensive premium gas, usually higher insurance, attract more unwanted attention. He should use the money he saved for more important things then having some more fancy options or a fancier brand name.
your parents 99 TL is a great car, owned the same and never should have traded up for the newer model. when they came out with the TLS it was all down hill and has been since. i didnt work in the service department but had direct communication with them also. everyone in that place told me all the problems they where having. no car is perfect and my IS has some minor issues of its own. Just being honest from all angles. everyone i know that owned the TL thru 05/06 had all the same problems. the biggest problem is the trans on the car. im postive that your parents CL has an extended warranty from Acura on the trans. the CL was not a trouble car other then the trans and missed that in my post. I dont believe the CL was built in the states from what i can recall. i worked for the #4 Acura dealer and with the amount of cars that where sold and serviced there the numbers showed it all. I would be curious to see if your parents traded in the 99 TL for a new one to see how they feel about the car after having it for a year. Its just not the same car or quality that it was. Having had 3 of them i can tell you how they took more and more short cuts on the car. Great looking car and that is why i ended up there to begin with. Everyone will have there opinion on cars and there own experience. i just feel this goes farther then my experience. Just to throw it out there when i got the 05 model Aspec TL Acura gave me a credit towards that and purchased me out of my lease. Being close friends to the owner of the dealer im sure helped out but im glad to be out of the TL. My wife drives a TSX and we havent had one issue with the car. So take my info for what its worth...
Old 01-11-08, 02:11 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither. He would feel like he is driving his parents' car soon if he picked E320. TL is a nice car, but not that much better than Accord, especially the 2008 one. For $35k, I think there are better choices. I would first consider a 08 base BMW 328i sedan, a Lexus IS250, a 08 Honda Accord coupe or sedan, a 08 Subaru Impreza WRX, a 08 Honda Civic Si sedan, a 08 Mazda MX-5, a 08 Honda Fit Sport, a 08 Infiniti G35 sedan, a 08 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport, a 08 Honda S2000.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 01-11-08 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 03:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Go with the TL. IMO the only good reason to buy an E class is if you can't afford the S class. And nothing screams "LOOSER" louder than "320" on the back of your Mercedes
Old 01-11-08, 03:23 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by texan629
exactly, this board has mostly asian members so they will be biased towards japanese cars. If acura is american does that mean there's the Big 4 now?
Way to assume there and come off looking like an ignorant person....

New TL vs 05 E? No question, new TL.
Old 01-11-08, 04:29 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So your screename is Texan629. So you must wear a cowboy hat, boots and ride a horse to work?
No, that is an ignorant an unfair assumption, as ridiculous as what you just said.

I've met literally hundreds, if not a couple thousand members and that could not be FURTHER from the truth. This forum is a melting pot, its not one race of people.

I am going to ask you stop trying to paint this forum one color as it makes the poster look childish and clueless.

Acura can't be a big 4 b/c they don't SELL in those quantities.

Stop trying to stir the pot.
well said

i personally would get TL. I like E320, but im still 28....i dont want people start calling me "Mr" or teasing me "hey grandpa...."
Old 01-11-08, 05:23 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

I'd say the TL because its new, but if he wants a new car for that price, how about the new Mercedes C 300. It starts at 31 and change and I bet it could get some nice options for 35 grand. But out of the E and the TL, Take the TL
Old 01-11-08, 05:29 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get a tl mercedes are crap lmao. i had a 2000 e320 and yea so many problems. i believe it has 60k right now and the o2 sensor went out, air bag sensor, and what not.
Old 01-11-08, 05:51 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd take a TL over that anyday. But E500 is a whole different story.
Old 01-11-08, 05:59 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
your parents 99 TL is a great car, owned the same and never should have traded up for the newer model. when they came out with the TLS it was all down hill and has been since. i didnt work in the service department but had direct communication with them also. everyone in that place told me all the problems they where having. no car is perfect and my IS has some minor issues of its own. Just being honest from all angles. everyone i know that owned the TL thru 05/06 had all the same problems. the biggest problem is the trans on the car. im postive that your parents CL has an extended warranty from Acura on the trans. the CL was not a trouble car other then the trans and missed that in my post. I dont believe the CL was built in the states from what i can recall. i worked for the #4 Acura dealer and with the amount of cars that where sold and serviced there the numbers showed it all. I would be curious to see if your parents traded in the 99 TL for a new one to see how they feel about the car after having it for a year. Its just not the same car or quality that it was. Having had 3 of them i can tell you how they took more and more short cuts on the car. Great looking car and that is why i ended up there to begin with. Everyone will have there opinion on cars and there own experience. i just feel this goes farther then my experience. Just to throw it out there when i got the 05 model Aspec TL Acura gave me a credit towards that and purchased me out of my lease. Being close friends to the owner of the dealer im sure helped out but im glad to be out of the TL. My wife drives a TSX and we havent had one issue with the car. So take my info for what its worth...

Where you talking about the 2005/2006 or newer current gen TL when you said everyone you know with the 05/06 TLs had the same transmission problems because I have not heard of any of the transmissions for the new body style 2004+ having any problems nor do I believe there was a need for a warranty extension on the trannies because they had corrected the problem that affected some of the previous generation 99-03 TL/CL/ with the new 04 model.

My parents TL and CL have the warranty extension for the trans to 100K miles but they have never had any issues, the TL has close to 100K miles and the CL has close to 40K. Some people say there was no need for the 1999 TL 4 speed trans to have the extended warranty because the 4 speed did not have any issues.
Old 01-11-08, 10:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
Where you talking about the 2005/2006 or newer current gen TL when you said everyone you know with the 05/06 TLs had the same transmission problems because I have not heard of any of the transmissions for the new body style 2004+ having any problems nor do I believe there was a need for a warranty extension on the trannies because they had corrected the problem that affected some of the previous generation 99-03 TL/CL/ with the new 04 model.

My parents TL and CL have the warranty extension for the trans to 100K miles but they have never had any issues, the TL has close to 100K miles and the CL has close to 40K. Some people say there was no need for the 1999 TL 4 speed trans to have the extended warranty because the 4 speed did not have any issues.
Please stop it. So you "hear" Lexus has tons of issues but you DEFEND when people state Acura has issues. Its bigger than Acura, it has affected Honda's as well.

Corrections seem to have been made (like later ES trannies) but both companies have some cars where the tranny just is crap.

Old 01-12-08, 12:33 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Please stop it. So you "hear" Lexus has tons of issues but you DEFEND when people state Acura has issues. Its bigger than Acura, it has affected Honda's as well.

Corrections seem to have been made (like later ES trannies) but both companies have some cars where the tranny just is crap.
What are you talking about? I was asking passnu2 if he was talking about the newer TL because I thought he said he heard a bunch of people saying the newer gen 05/06 TL had tranny problems which I have not heard or even read on the internet of the 05s and 06s having problems. I just wanted to know what problems these people he knew or talked to had with the newer TL transmission.
Old 01-12-08, 04:48 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually voted for the Benz before reading the threads. I didn't know that the driver was only 19 and that the TL is brand new. I would definitely go with the TL. A 19 year old driving a E class will look like he borrowed his Mommy's car. The TL is definitely a good car and a great bang for the buck. When I was buying my 2IS, it was one of the cars I narrowed my choices down to, but went with the Lexus becuase it handled better and had a bit more power.
Old 01-12-08, 06:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll add a poll!
Mike...........change the poll title. The choice was between a new TL and a 2005 E320. You put 2005 TL and 2005 E320.

I'll PM you.
Old 01-12-08, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Having said that, count me in for the TL as the choice. IMO $35,000 for a brand-new car from a maker like Acura, with a good reliability record, makes far more sense than for a three-year-old Mercedes product with their notorious electrical problems. Yes, the E320 may be slightly more crashworthy in an accident, but the Acura has many state-of-the-art safety features too. The Acura, with its FWD, all else equal, will have better traction on slick roads.

Quick Reply: which car to get : TL or E320