Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 06:37 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks kind of like an Altima Coupe from the rear... haha
Old 09-26-07, 08:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Under current Japanese law it's illegal.
Subaru can def. benefit from Toyota though in their current situation. Subaru has the potential to be profitable, but these recent designs (Tribeca before the refresh, and the new Impreza) are hitting them hard. Though the Impreza still has time to redeem itself since its relatively new, but unfortunately everyone I talk to about it thinks its hideous. Yuck IMO.

Subaru is a very small company. They only sell 200,000 or so a year. I think with better advertising and if they had their own small car like this, their sales would increase. Toyota should be a good thing for them.
Old 09-26-07, 08:31 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda like the car in the pics cant wait to see the production version. If they make it.
Old 09-27-07, 03:22 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Doesn't look to bad.. I bet it will get great gas mileage...
Old 09-27-07, 03:51 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like a redesigned Scion tC.
Old 09-27-07, 11:49 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If Subaru and Toyota are going to be sharing some technology and products then instead of a new Supra or high performance sports car getting that hybrid powerplant which is a very poor choice for a sports car due to its added weight and the batteries not being able to sustain long acceleration like on a track they should twin turbo the Subura flat six after they strengthen it of course to handle the power and make a legitimate 911, Corvette, and GTR fighter. The Lexus LFA is going to be too expensive and exotic to compete with those cars and will be competing with higher priced cars. The turbo flat six would be an ideal powerplant for a new Supra because it would be highly tunable like the last one, it would have a lower center of gravity, it would be different then anything else out on the market and could achieve hp numbers at or above its competition fairly easily. If they can make it for around 45K I think it would be a hit as long as it was aggressive and did not look like anything in the Toyota lineup. They could also have a turbo v-8 version to compete with the Z06, 911 GT2, Viper and price it below its competition. I would much rather have a turbo flat six in a sports car then some unproven heavy hybrid powerplant that will run out of charge during repeated fast driving.

As for that concept it does not excite me in any way. With that power it will probrably be slower then Avalons and Camrys. It needs more power and more aggressive looks.
Old 09-27-07, 12:21 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by UDel
If Subaru and Toyota are going to be sharing some technology and products then instead of a new Supra or high performance sports car getting that hybrid powerplant which is a very poor choice for a sports car due to its added weight and the batteries not being able to sustain long acceleration like on a track they should twin turbo the Subura flat six after they strengthen it of course to handle the power and make a legitimate 911, Corvette, and GTR fighter. The Lexus LFA is going to be too expensive and exotic to compete with those cars and will be competing with higher priced cars. The turbo flat six would be an ideal powerplant for a new Supra because it would be highly tunable like the last one, it would have a lower center of gravity, it would be different then anything else out on the market and could achieve hp numbers at or above its competition fairly easily. If they can make it for around 45K I think it would be a hit as long as it was aggressive and did not look like anything in the Toyota lineup. They could also have a turbo v-8 version to compete with the Z06, 911 GT2, Viper and price it below its competition. I would much rather have a turbo flat six in a sports car then some unproven heavy hybrid powerplant that will run out of charge during repeated fast driving.

As for that concept it does not excite me in any way. With that power it will probrably be slower then Avalons and Camrys. It needs more power and more aggressive looks.
I think they're focusing more on handling with this car, economy and affordability.
Old 09-27-07, 12:30 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm.. 1100kg, 110hp.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's very very close to the 120hp (old SAE) non-VVTi 98-99 Corolla LE. Similar weight and power (assuming the old 120hp is closer to 110hp if it were to be rated now).

Interesting....
Old 09-27-07, 01:08 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
they should twin turbo the Subura flat six after they strengthen it of course to handle the power and make a legitimate 911, Corvette, and GTR fighter.
3.0L or 3.6L?
Old 09-27-07, 01:21 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

More power.....

remember what happened to the MK111 MR-2 Spyder?
Old 09-27-07, 01:55 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by MR_F1
More power.....

remember what happened to the MK111 MR-2 Spyder?
It was a convertible that's what it's problem was.
Old 09-27-07, 02:29 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
It was a convertible that's what it's problem was.
One could say it was ugly, that it was a convertible, that it was too expensive or that it had no storage space, but had it come with the 180hp 2ZZ, I can bet you it would have sold well enough to still be on the market.
Old 05-28-08, 05:07 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Update

In Detail: Toyota-Subaru's Rear Wheel Drive Sports Car
Posted on: May 28th, 2008
Filed under: Subaru, Toyota

Toyota and Subaru have both confirmed that they are indeed working on a rear-wheel-drive sports car that will arrive on the market by the end of 2011. Toyota will be handling the basic design of the car while Subaru will provide the technicals.

InsideLine has some new info on the sports car and has learned that it will be sold as a Toyota model exclusively in Japan while the rest of the world will get it with a Subaru badge. Mechanicals on both cars will be ‘identical’, but both models will have different exterior looks.

Engineers are working on Subaru’s 4WD powertrain and are modifying it to create a new rear-wheel-drive architecture. Power will come from Impreza WRX STI’s 2.0 liter engine that produces 220-hp. It will be mated to a six-speed manual gearbox.

Expect pricing to start just under $20,000.

Old 05-28-08, 05:48 AM
Koma

The WRX STI 2.0 motor makes over 300hp...
So is this article saying in Japan there will only be a Toyota model and the rest of the world gets only a Subaru model? Or are they saying that Japan will get a Toyota only model and the rest of the world gets both a Toyota and Subaru model.
Old 05-28-08, 06:12 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wonder if it has enough room for a JZ motor lol.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!