Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus switching to Sirius?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 07:39 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Lexus switching to Sirius?

Did a search and didn't really come up with anything. I picked up my IS on Saturday (also got the clear bra from Aerotect, write up coming later) and my sales rep told me to come back another day for a free Sirius hookup. I thought Lexus was using XM? Also, has anyone installed satellite radio after the fact? I haven't really determined whether I want to get it installed, but if it is fully integrated into the center stack (don't want to see any wires or anything like that), I might consider it.

TIA
Old 05-29-07, 07:42 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been waiting for the sirius to come out as well because i do not want XM, it just never happened (had my car for about a year now).

I would really like it if i could get sirius integrated into the nav, just like the factory can give you XM. Anyone have any info on this? Or was this another sales rep that didnt know much from his left and right foot???
Old 05-29-07, 08:05 AM
tgara
Pole Position

The two companies are merging, so this decision will be moot very soon.
Old 05-29-07, 08:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tgara
The two companies are merging, so this decision will be moot very soon.
Actually, that was scrapped. It's still on the table, but both companies are leaning against it.

As far as Lexus is concerned, they're still contracted with XM. No confirmed changes yet.
Old 05-29-07, 08:26 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Actually, that was scrapped. It's still on the table, but both companies are leaning against it.

As far as Lexus is concerned, they're still contracted with XM. No confirmed changes yet.
yeah i have read about this, supposedly even if it goes through it will not be totally done until late 07/early 08
Old 05-29-07, 09:47 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by mwaull
Or was this another sales rep that didnt know much from his left and right foot???
The dealer (Longo Lexus) did have a new GS(?) with a sticker that advertised it was using Sirius, but I didn't see any other car there

Last edited by Allen K; 05-29-07 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-29-07, 10:11 AM
gwong
Rookie

Sirius, as a satellite radio option became available on the 2007 IS and 2007 ES at the end of April.
Old 05-29-07, 10:40 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gwong
Sirius, as a satellite radio option became available on the 2007 IS and 2007 ES at the end of April.
so they have the equipment to add sirius to my 06 IS350? I want sirius badly, but do not it unless it is integrated into the NAV
Old 05-29-07, 10:42 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by mwaull
so they have the equipment to add sirius to my 06 IS350? I want sirius badly, but do not it unless it is integrated into the NAV
Rep told me that it was integrated, but I want to get a look at how the install is before going for it. I will probably set an appointment for about 2 weeks from now so if you still need info I can get it for you then
Old 05-29-07, 11:09 AM
tonyscv
Driver

Just by an '06 IS and you can have your choice of Sirius or XM - and you can ask the dealer to hide your antenna from view.

I chose to have XM installed in my '06, and the antenna is completely hidden from view. It's nice to have XM without the fin.

- T
Old 05-29-07, 11:18 AM
gwong
Rookie

The listing is for the 2007 model year. Unfortunately there is no mention for the 2006. The Sirius antenna is mounted on the front windshield.
Old 05-29-07, 11:28 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Have they solved the reception issues with the Sirius module? In earlier threads, I recall reading that owners were experiencing frequent dropouts.
Old 05-29-07, 05:40 PM
totoro1224
Driver

I have a 2006 IS250 with NAV and I installed the Sirius myself over the past weekend. There is a cable, like a Y adapter with 10 pins that one side plug into the stock radio and the other side goes into the Sirius brain, then you will also have to run an antenna which I placed below the rear windshield. There are different type or version of Sirius with different number on the brain and different design on the antenna. The old antenna are kinda huge in a triangle shape which double side taped to the front windshield, but the one that I am using now is the newer verstion, like the size of your fob remote key which can be place on the dash or mount it on the trunk. It took me like 45 mins for everything, nothing too difficult.

If anyone in SoCal area, I will be happy to show anyone who is interested.

Last edited by totoro1224; 05-29-07 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-29-07, 05:50 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by totoro1224
I have a 2006 IS250 with NAV and I installed the Sirius myself over the past weekend. There is a cable, like a Y adapter with 10 pins that one side plug into the stock radio and the other side goes into the Sirius brain, then you will also have to run an antenna which I placed below the rear windshield. There are different type or version of Sirius with different number on the brain and different design on the antenna. The old antenna are kinda huge in a triangle shape which double side taped to the front windshield, but the one that I am using now is the newer verstion, like the size of your fob remote key which can be place on the dash or mount it on the trunk. It took me like 45 mins for everything, nothing too difficult.

If anyone in SoCal area, I will be happy to show anyone who is interested.
totoro,

Is your setup fully integrated into your navigation screen? If so, I would be interested in details of your setup. I live in Texas, so I wouldn't be able to see it in person.
Old 05-29-07, 05:53 PM
totoro1224
Driver

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
totoro,

Is your setup fully integrated into your navigation screen? If so, I would be interested in details of your setup. I live in Texas, so I wouldn't be able to see it in person.
Yes, when you press the "SAT" button, you will have SAT1, SAT2 & SAT3, and you can save 6 station on each of those tab. You can see what kind of station, with title or description of the song. I can post some picture of the screen later tonight if anyone interested.

Found a pic from another post, not taken from me:

Here is the list for Sirius channels:
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1139320914821

Last edited by totoro1224; 05-29-07 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus switching to Sirius?