Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Valet Parking???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 07:22 AM
Hotwheels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valet Parking???

Forgive me if this thread has appeared before... I'm still new to the site... since we are on the subject of parking what do you do to get assurance that your car will come back from the valet without scratches, dings, etc.? I try to avoid using a valet at all by parking on a neighborhood street or in the non-valet section, but some restaurants in Atlanta only have that option, and I always worry until I get the car back.
Old 02-11-07, 07:53 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Give them a tip when dropping it off and tell them to be careful with the car.
Old 02-11-07, 08:02 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I would never valet my car. If I were in Atlanta and there was no safe parking within walking distance of the restaurant, I'd find a good spot as close I could and then take a taxi the rest of the way.
Old 02-11-07, 08:14 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I work down on South Beach and have seen numerous Valet peeling out and ragging out cars. They have to park the vehicles blocks away from the restaurants, hotels, etc. so they have the opportunity to do it. I have also seen numerous valet car accidents due to careless driving. I rather park it myself!
Old 02-11-07, 08:17 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We have the same thing in Houston and Dallas area. Sometimes you'll find restaurants in shopping centers with acres of free parking, yet they will 'cone off' the area in front of the restaurant and use it for valet parking. This is BS. I'll park at the outer edge and walk in to the restaurant. Atlanta is not Manhattan, ie, a shortage of space. I never let them valet my car as they will disavow any responsibility for any damage to your car.
Old 02-11-07, 09:43 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

If there is no other choice but to valet, I won't bring my IS...I'll drive my old car or ask somebody else to drive. There is no way I'll let them "play" with my IS.
Old 02-11-07, 11:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

since imtoo poor to afford a velt (and rarely use them anyways) it isnt really a problem for me.

but i do plan on using a switch or relay that when activated, will cut the right O2 sensor (or some other vital ecm sensor, havent decided yet, still toying with the idea) which would cause the motor to be in a constant "limp home" mode.

would be hidden switch of course.
Old 02-11-07, 11:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear where you are coming from man. EVERYTHING in Atlanta is valet now, and it's hard to trust someone else with your car. Not sure how to make sure they take good care of it though.

I was out to dinner with a friend a while ago and we valet-ed his 9-3 and it was in one of the first spaces, and the guy HIT the valet sign when he pulled out, right in front of us. Unbelievable. Just dropped the car off like nothing was wrong or had happened, and we were standing twenty feet away the entire time.
Old 02-11-07, 03:35 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I try to avoid valet whenever possible and park on the street, but if I have to use valet I ask to speak to the manager in charge. I pay him a little extra to self park in valet lot and keep my keys. No one's refused my request yet.
Old 02-11-07, 07:56 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I hear where you are coming from man. EVERYTHING in Atlanta is valet now, and it's hard to trust someone else with your car. Not sure how to make sure they take good care of it though.

I was out to dinner with a friend a while ago and we valet-ed his 9-3 and it was in one of the first spaces, and the guy HIT the valet sign when he pulled out, right in front of us. Unbelievable. Just dropped the car off like nothing was wrong or had happened, and we were standing twenty feet away the entire time.
Wow man, that's nuts. If I ever saw someone damaging my car, o.m.g., the wrath that would immediately befall upon his head.

One time, a tow truck tried to tow my car (for no apparent reason either, I was actually parked where I was supposed to be, paid and all) I heard my horn go and came outside to find my car hoisted up onto the truck (FRONT WHEELS UP, IS300 = rear wheel drive moron). Wow did I ever scream at him, all the while hes trying to tell me he knows what he's doing and that my 'infiniti' is front wheel dirve, you're supposed to tow them this way. I gave him so much ***** he didn't know what to say. I ended up having to sit on the winch where it met my front bumper (pants got totally nasty from the grease) because he was actually going to take my car. It was deffinately one of my better tantrums I've ever thrown. In the end he put my car down, but the a-hole wanted me to pay him, I told him what he could do with that concept.

But on topic, no a valet may not drive my car. I'll park and walk thx, or get some1 else to drive.
Old 02-12-07, 08:06 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

In the past I would have let valets park my car... but since getting my Lexus and reading some of the horror stories on here, NO WAY that will ever happen again, regardless of the car I am driving!
Old 02-12-07, 08:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A valet parking attendant in Manhattan nicked one of my rear wheels on my x3 a few months back I had no idea that it was nicked until i got home to wash the car. Inspect your car including wheels with attendant before and after you park. Lesson learned
Old 02-12-07, 10:20 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy. Take the wife's car out. I could care less what they do to a 2000 Grand Am!!!
Old 02-12-07, 11:19 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to valet as one of my first jobs in high school. NEVER do it. Knowing what I used to do back then, I never valet my car, even if it is a 14 year old SC. If you must, however, give them a tip up front. I recall I used to actually try to be more careful with people who gave me a tip... "try" being the word here. If you drive up in a $70k+ car, though, don't expect the teenage attendant to stop his hormones from flowing, even if you do give hime a tip. S classes, bimmers, vettes, and anything remotely exotic got worked.