Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: 2007 Lexus RX 400h FWD. "A Turbo Techno Test"

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 08:48 AM
LexFather

Exclamation 1SICKREVIEW: 2007 Lexus RX 400h FWD. "A Turbo Techno Test"

"A Turbo Techno Test"
by 1SICKLEX

Well gang it has been awhile since there has been a loaner, simply b/c Lexus cars work and you just need to bring them in for maintenance . Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett was nice enough to provide a VIP loaner, a Lexus RX 400h for use (best dealer in GA). This model is FWD (I didn't know at the time) and no NAV.

Now the RX is a vehicle I used to not understand and almost dislike, until I drove it constantly. Now I think its amazing, (my RX 330 review here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=1sickreview ). Also, I have driven a loaded RX 400h with bitkahuna
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=1sickreview

so I was expecting to really just hop in and enjoy this RX 400h for the weekend....however, this Lexus is not one I would want to marry...
FWD+more power= me no likey
First, didn't know it was a FWD by looking at it, it was clearly obvious as soon as you hit the gas. YUCK is the best word I can say. SImply too much power for a FWD car. Like many, I like the 200hp FWD cars of old, the 250hp and up FWD cars/SUVs to me, just have too much power for an engineering setup that is for packaging efficiency. Mild torque steer under acceleration from a stop and a slight pull when your at speed, but much less noticeable. So I wasn't happy, as I promised myself, my future kids and my family I will never let then own another FWD car. You might like FWD, I don't. You like high hp FWD cars, then you might like this SUV.
Steering
Then what was worse is the steering. OMG, way to light. For some reason it feels lighter than the standard RX 330, which is heavier than the old 1RX 300. So we are coupling torque steer with light steering. Not Lincoln Town Car steering but the lightest I've felt in a Lexus. Did I tell you I don't like light steering. Maybe you do though so you might not mind. I did.
Brakes
To make things WORSE (I know, can you believe I am writing this Lexus review, the fanboys of other marques will finally take down the "kill 1SICKLEX" banners hanging in their bedroom) the brakes are just HORRIBLE. OMG, they are the electric brakes but they feel like standard brakes with no brake fluid. I've driven this car for 2 days now and I just can't get used to it. Here is how it works
1. You brake
2. Nothing happens
3. SCREEEEECH, the #()$)# brake then, well, BRAKES
4. You then have to push damn near to the floor to stop.

You have to do this every time. The brakes feel the same every time. Which means I want to puke everytime I brake. Since we all hit the brakes during normal driving, I've been puking for 2 days now. I've lost 10 lbs driving this loaner. Now I understand why Mercedes got rid of their brakes. Well, their sactually didn't work, you would plow into people but that they got rid of it, shows Lexus needs to do the same.
CVT
CVT. Now this is a revelation. I love the CVT. I liked it in the RX 400h AWD, I like it in this RX 400h. It did take about 1/2 a day of getting used to, you simply are ALWAYS in the right gear. It is so damn smooth, I mean you simply go the desired speed you want and it is there. No waiting for a shift, when you step off the gas, no downshifting. This tranny rocks. Everyone should drive a CVT car/SUV once to see the difference, you might like it, I did. It does feel weird knowing instead of 5 or 6 (hell 8) gears (and seeing no 3/2/1 on the shifter) you are ALWAYS in the correct gear. This is where the review gets better, b/c the CVT with the engine= FAAAST
Acceleration
This is one swift SUV. I will post my kills in the Stories forum but here is the list:
BMW X3
Acura TSX
Honda Accord (new with the LED lights)
Buick Rendezvous

As well as BLOWING by people on the highway at speed. How fast? I took her to 120mph and it took NO TIME at all. This SUV is VERY scary fast. Coupled with the CVT and almost no wind noise, you are doing 85mph in no time and not knowing it. Once you are at speed, you simply push the gas and you WILL be at the speed you want in no time at all. Passing power is INCREDIBLE for a SUV. What makes it cooler is there is no shifting, its like you think "hey I want to pass this car" and wham there you are. The RX doesn't argue at all about it. I will say sometimes, it feels like having a TURBO car b/c the immediate torque from the batteries kicks in and with some torque steer. So if you have driven a turbo car, its weird b/c it feels like one WITHOUT the turbo. Batteries=new age turbo
Acceleration from a start is good if less impressive but I think the FWD setup takes it away from me. Again, there is no hard shift, you go 0- whenever you take the foot off the gas. Weird but cool.

Gas mileage
There have been many owners saying "I am not getting the 40mpg or 30mpg I thought I was going to get" and now I feel them. The issue is the car is so damn smooth under acceleration, its hard NOT to speed. Averaging 85mph, I did 22mpg. Now you may say that is only 1 over the RX 330, but I was going 30 mpg FASTER than squeaking that 21mpg out the RX 330. That is a HUGE difference. Under traffic (I went downtown to see all the Dallas fans gloat about their victory) its weird seeing you GAIN gas mileage, stuck in traffic! I got to 25mpg in the city. I am sure you can get 30mpg if you tried and didn't punch the gas and drive the speed limit EVERY time, but that also depends on your highway vs city driving. It did seem TO ME, the gas gauge didn't move as fast as it would in the RX 330.

Luxury
I guess Lexus heard the complaints of RX 400h owners WANTING the wood, b/c this car had wood AND aluminum and the wood steering wheel. The wood was lighter than in normal RXs. Seats are comfy, this cabin is a top quality cabin. I love it. Everything feels solid to the touch and the door design is impressive. I still wish for more sculpted seats and front legroom is not as much as I would like. This RX 400h though does speak "yes I am a luxury SUV, you do not get an entry level luxury feeling like in some of the competition". The power door, I just get a kick out of that, it is useful. Oh, please ugrade to ML b/c the stock sound system sounds like a, stock sound system.
Well you do feel a little "smug" driving a hybrid
And I had a b-day even at Andretti Speedlabs and did enjoy talking to people about the RX 400h as there was huge interest. It doesn't really scream hybrid, outside the different:
Grill
Wheels
h badge
You cannot tell this is a hybrid. Which is cool but maybe a little more to say "hey I give a little more of a **** than you do"

Now you may want slalom speeds for those that want degrees in magazine racing but when you drive this type of vehicle, you don't WANT to take corners at a high rate of speed. I didn't which is odd as I usually drive hard.

There is no Tach, but it is replaced with a battery volt thingie, which is cool. There is also a display under the speedometer which shows how the SUV is using gas or is it using the battery, gas or both or neither. Pretty cool and trick.

In conclusion, I cannot help but think that is truly is an experiment as I can see so much tech packed into it but it doesn't come totally together. The RX 400h AWD is the way to go, you elminate the torque steer and the package feels better put together. We will come back 10 years from now and crown this SUV a "Godfather" of hybrids. Today, I crown it the annoying geek who runs pretty fast from bullys.
Rating
6 out of 10 stars

Old 12-17-06, 09:11 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up, even though I don't agree with some of the points you listed.

However, or the "120 mph" part. Isn't this car limited to 112 mph (which translates to approx 180 km/h)? I've taken this car to the top speed and I don't recall hitting the 120 mark. I have an 2006 though.

And nope, AWD doesn't help the Torque steer issue, as the drive-train between front and rear is not linked with any differential. Try flooring it from let's say 55 and switch to the next lane, like trying to pass a semi. You will feel the torque steer even at highway speed.

Last edited by JZA80MHU38; 12-17-06 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-17-06, 09:17 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

great review mike! You should do a back to back review with the MDX since many people tend to cross-shop between the two!

Nice kill list btw
Old 12-17-06, 09:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
great review mike! You should do a back to back review with the MDX since many people tend to cross-shop between the two!

Nice kill list btw
I actually visited a few dealers yesterday and stopped by teh Acura dealer, they were closed. The MDX Remington steele shaver front end is so horrendous, I don't want people thinking I am driving by trying to shave their beard or legs.
Maybe get MMarshall to test it

Old 12-17-06, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I did a review on the outgoing 2006 MDX and took a very quick look at the smaller RDX ( without a review ).....the new 2007 MDX's were not available yet.
I will look at the new 2007 MDX myself at the D.C. Auto show next month, but I agree with you that it might be an good idea for Mike (1SICK) to do a cross-shop on the new MDX, since he has already checked out the new RX and would have more of a basis for comparison than I would. Unlike Mike, I drove a last-gen RX300 several years ago but have not gotten around to testing another one since then.
Old 12-17-06, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

In conclusion, I cannot help but think that is truly is an experiment as I can see so much tech packed into it but it doesn't come totally together. The RX 400h AWD is the way to go, you elminate the torque steer and the package feels better put together. We will come back 10 years from now and crown this SUV a "Godfather" of hybrids. Today, I crown it the annoying geek who runs pretty fast from bullys.
Rating
6 out of 10 stars
Thanks, Mike...and as usual, good job.

You found out for yourself what those electro-hydraulic brakes are like.

Back in the 50's, when power hydraulic drum brakes were starting to get more popular even on non-luxury cars, it took a long time for the engineers to get the system right, with correct proportioning valves and master cylinder boost. They weren't perfected until well into the 60's.
You would just touch the pedal and almost lock up the wheels...and you didn't have belts back then to hold you in place either.

Looks like we're going to have to go through the same teething problems with the electro-hydraulic systems, although I'm not sure that these systems will ever be as perfected as the all-hydraulic systems eventually were.....the problems are much more complex, and Mercedes, especially, has run into LOTS of problems with them.

I agree with you that the all-metal trim interior of the previous RX400 was a little too cold and hi-tech looking.......I'm glad to see that a warmer and more Lexus-like wood and aluminum is now available. That was something I commented on to the Lexus people last year.

One thing I didn't quite follow, though, on the review.......did you feel that the high-torque acceleration provided by the hybrid system was worth the level of torque steer? You praised the power level but, like most car enthusiasts, commented negatively on the torque steer....apparantly in this vehicle you have to take one with the other.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-17-06 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-17-06, 08:45 PM
LexFather

Been driving the car all day, still don't like the brakes...I had a bud drive it (techno guy), he liked the brakes. Maybe something you can get used to with ownership.
Some cool things I didn't point out.
1. The standard HIDs that swivel. You can see them move at night, pretty cool and useful. They move more to the driver's side than the passengers side.
2. How seamless and quiet this SUV is. The move from electric to petrol to both to none is just seamless. When you are at a light, when the engine cuts off, just incredible.
3. Ride quality is supple and fine with the 245/55/18 tires. No issues at all and I have only gotten her to squeal a couple times. I wonder if the tires are different. Handling is fine, not sloppy at all but not like an Infiniti FX or Porsche Cayenne.

Old 12-18-06, 05:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The RX is a nice looking suv, but drives like a hovercraft imo. Wow 120mph in a 400h? That was one special Rx400h Was the X3 you beat a 2.5 or a 3.0? Also was it from a roll or from a dead stop? I ask because I beat an Rx400h on the highway with my X3 3.0 thanks to steptronic
Old 12-18-06, 07:27 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
3. Ride quality is supple and fine with the 245/55/18 tires. No issues at all and I have only gotten her to squeal a couple times. I wonder if the tires are different. Handling is fine, not sloppy at all but not like an Infiniti FX or Porsche Cayenne.
What tires does that RX have? I thought all 18" equipped RX come with 235/55-18 tires, either Michelin or Goodyear. What 245/55-18 tires is that?
Old 12-18-06, 07:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
What tires does that RX have? I thought all 18" equipped RX come with 235/55-18 tires, either Michelin or Goodyear. What 245/55-18 tires is that?
LOL.. too many inconsistencies by Mike. That Rx400h must have took him to a fantastic voyage
Old 12-18-06, 08:08 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
LOL.. too many inconsistencies by Mike. That Rx400h must have took him to a fantastic voyage
I do want to know what kind of tire and wheel combo on that particular car he drove if it's not a typo. I put 235/65-17 snow tires on the RX400h and there's very little space between the tire side wall and the rear shock. So if it's really 245/55-18 then I think the dealer may have switch to another set of rims also with different offsets.
Old 12-18-06, 08:22 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
No one is more consistent as me as no one has posted more pics of myself, no one has met more CL members, my life=CL. I can't lie or hide about anything here
Hell, my close personal friends bought a Lexus and are on here.

Nothing to lie about. If I post something off, it is a mistake.