Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW!! 2005 Lexus RX 330

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 09:02 PM
LexFather

Smile 1SICKREVIEW!! 2005 Lexus RX 330

Well, all I can say is, It is CLEAR how this is the standard in this segment, as well as the best seller in class. Mind you I am NOT Mr. SUV. And the RX 300 really conivinced me of how incredible this car is. In all honesty, IMO, the RX 330 is so good, I cannot see getting an ES over it It rides just as well, just as luxurious, same platform but with more space and the utility of a SUV. This in a week of driving.

Thats right, I would get a RX 330 over an ES 330. Crazy? Read on.

Well as much as people act like it doesn't matter, it does. You "SEE" yourself in your ride. And RX gets flack for being a "womans" ride. Well your right, in the week I had it, WOMEN love it. All my lady friends commented on how they love this truck. And it gets a couple stares down the block (or maybe its me) . No, its not a Ferrari, its not breaking necks. But its a very good looking truck. It took some time for it to grow on me and it has. So it gets 7 out of ten stars for image. "Oh, thats the new Lexus truck"! Nuff said.
8 out of 10 stars

Luxury

Real wood, and all over. Nice silver trim. The usual, electrolumicent gauges (That everyone else has now copied). Comfy, soft leather (not the best but far from the worst). Features galore. "BEEP BEEP BEEP" there is a hidden compartment with a couple buttons, the mirror controls and the POWER rear gate. Yeah, that is luxury. FIt and Finish most companies can only dream of. Panel gaps ARE NOT luxurious in a 40k car/SUV. Great stock soundsystem, dual zone Air.
8 out of 10 stars
Performance
I don't EXPECT too much, BECAUSE ITS NOT A PERFORMANCE CAR. Looked at the stopwatch, 0-60 in about 8+ seconds. No problem EVER with me merging in traffic. Funny, the car is heavier with only 10 more HP than the RX 300 but its CLEARLY a better performer. Body does roll but not as bad as most SUVs and better than the RX 300. The 18s ride well, like it has the 16s on the RX 300. Tires DO squeal when pushed, which shows its not for performance. Overall, more than competant. And the VSC does not kick in as bad as the RX 300. It DOES have FWD torque steer sometimes and it really SUCKS as it really is obvious when it happens. THis is only when turning and punching the gas.
7 out of 10 stars.
Gas
Yes, I think I am the first reviewer with an offical fuel economy column. Well, I was getting about 20 MPG in city and highway miles mixed. And I was pushing this SUV hard. So you can get BETTER fuel economy I am sure. I DOUBT you can get much worse, as I really was pushing it. IT does have the fuel meter which shows you what your avg is as you drive.
7 out of 10 stars

Review/Conclusion

This SUV is perfect for most people. Not too big, not too small. Luxury, adequate performance. Great ride and features. Image and prestige. It does have torque steer but who is really going to push it like that besides crazy people like me (that means YOU, lol). I left just SOLD on this truck, except I would get AWD like I did my mothers RX. And if I had the money, I'd get a RX 400h in a HEARTBEAT.

You come away feeling this SUV is worth MORE than its asking price. Its that damn solid. The car SMELLS of quality. THe door handles, the plastics, the way everything fits. It embaresses many more expensive SUVs.

Overall.
8 out of 10 stars

Old 09-15-05, 09:04 PM
LexFather

Please, if you have questions, ask

Old 09-15-05, 09:18 PM
Variance
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the transmission feel? My mother has a RX300 and I drive it occasionally. When it's not warmed up the transmission is kind of hesistant to shift.
Old 09-15-05, 09:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Variance
How's the transmission feel? My mother has a RX300 and I drive it occasionally. When it's not warmed up the transmission is kind of hesistant to shift.
GREAT point.

The transmission was smooth 90% of the time, which is satisfactory to most, but IMO, unsatisfactory for a Lexus. There were MANY times, the car could not decide to be in 2nd or 3rd gear. Then it would pick one and the torque steer would kick in.

Thanks for asking, this is something Lexus has been working on but IMO, is NOT fixed and NEEDS to be fixed.

Not sure WHY, the car only has 10 more HP than the RX 300 with an additional gear.

The RX 300 tranny is much smoother as in, it knows what gear to be in.

SO yes, I was not 100% happy with this and I am glad you asked.

Old 09-15-05, 11:00 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, how did you get a RX330 for a week?

Also, you say you'd buy the RH400 in a heartbeat. Did you get to drive one, and if so, for how long? Lastly, what sets it apart from the RX330 aside from its hybrid technology?
Old 09-15-05, 11:31 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

i drove the highlander hybrid and that thing MOVES...

so definitely it makes sense that someone would want a 400h badly...
Old 09-15-05, 11:52 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the '06's have a new wheel option that's darker around the edge? It looks horrible IMO and no I'm NOT talking about the RX400h. It looks like the normal 5 spoke but has darker edges, not sure what that's about. Also, there was a small badge on the front fender, just some little things.

Anyways, I worked at a Lexus dealer last year for about 4 months or so detailing and we had RXs and ESs day in, day out. The RX is an amazing vehicle that is PERFECT for the everyday, small SUV needs. The luxury was sufficient without taking away from its ability to be used as an SUV should. It handles like a car, is quiet like one, and is no problem getting in or out of. It's honestly just perfect for what it does and that's why Lexus is selling every last one that they make.

James
Old 09-16-05, 05:54 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

I like the Rx330, but my girlfriend has one and never likes to drive, so everytime im with her I get to drive it. Its a very comfy ride, but I just cant get over the engine noise. It has also been in the shop for many things, i.e. the passanger window would randomly fall, the sun roof would catch something while tilting up and make a huge bang sound, power seats would fail alot, windshield wipers would stop working for a few seconds when on automatic every now and then.
Old 09-16-05, 06:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Variance
This is normal for many late-model automatics. Most of them will not go into their top overdrive gear until the engine coolant and transmission fluid temperature gets to 140 degrees or so...about two or three notches up the temperature gauge. This is done to quicken warm-up and lower emissions. Some transmissions....like the one on my IS300....also delay somewhat on the first 3-4 upshift when cold. You just have to go slow, keep the RPM down for a minute or two until the tranny gets warm enough to upshift. I don't like these features myself, but that is just the way some transmissions are designed nowadays.
Old 09-16-05, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Overclocker

Also, you say you'd buy the RH400 in a heartbeat.
Yes, the RX400H ( and the Highlander hybrid ) is quite a piece of technology....one of the most complex street vehicles ever produced. But I'm not impressed with the RX400H interior. IMO it looks cheap compared to the RX330..... Lexus made a mistake not putting wood in it like the rich-looking RX330.
Old 09-16-05, 07:17 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the RX400H ( and the Highlander hybrid ) is quite a piece of technology....one of the most complex street vehicles ever produced. But I'm not impressed with the RX400H interior. IMO it looks cheap compared to the RX330..... Lexus made a mistake not putting wood in it like the rich-looking RX330.
I agree with that. Wood should have been the way to go in the Hybrid. I can't stand the aluminum like trim in the 400H. Since I'm an owner of a RX330 I can say the interior is adequate and quite nice even, but not near real luxury standards. I can see where the short cuts or at least cost cutting measures were taken.
Old 09-16-05, 07:20 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is normal for many late-model automatics. Most of them will not go into their top overdrive gear until the engine coolant and transmission fluid temperature gets to 140 degrees or so...about two or three notches up the temperature gauge. This is done to quicken warm-up and lower emissions. Some transmissions....like the one on my IS300....also delay somewhat on the first 3-4 upshift when cold. You just have to go slow, keep the RPM down for a minute or two until the tranny gets warm enough to upshift. I don't like these features myself, but that is just the way some transmissions are designed nowadays.
It also could be that they still haven't fully figured out the tranny problem in the RX330. Us 2004 and most 2005 owners still suffer from funky tranny shifting at times. I believe they are on their 3rd tranny reflash software update which I hrear from owners seem to be much improved, but not 100% so. I'll probably go and get mine updated soon, but my problems were not as bad as other owners. It's probably due to driving style though.
Old 09-16-05, 08:44 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice review. My brother is looking to trade in his Solara for one at the end of the year. We shall see what gas prices are like in the coming months.
Old 09-17-05, 06:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Overclocker

Also, you say you'd buy the RH400 in a heartbeat. Did you get to drive one, and if so, for how long? Lastly, what sets it apart from the RX330 aside from its hybrid technology?
I don't have near 20k posts for shiats and giggles

Old 09-17-05, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't have near 20k posts for shiats and giggles
True.....or for nonsense either.
When 1SICKLEX posts something.......especially about vehicles........he usually has something to say. Apart from my own judgement on a vehicle I trust his, Jet864's, AmethySC's, GS3TEK's, and flipside's the most......though lately UDel and RON430 have also made some good observations too.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-05 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW!! 2005 Lexus RX 330