Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's up with Toyota poor performance this season at F1 ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 07:05 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with Toyota poor performance this season at F1 ??

What's going on at Toyota, I had high hopes for their F1 program this year, but they didn't even finish the Top 5 in manufacturer standings.
Old 10-30-06, 10:04 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

The first thing I'd look at is the drivers. Without good drivers, having even the fastest cars on the circuit isn't going to win you races.
Old 10-30-06, 10:27 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ff_
The first thing I'd look at is the drivers. Without good drivers, having even the fastest cars on the circuit isn't going to win you races.
They don't even have the fastest car.
Old 10-30-06, 01:05 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't really think Toyota had "Poor" performance per se, but that Toyota didn't improve or overachieve this season. Their manufacturer standings after this season is pretty much exactly where everyone thought they would be. Their only real challenge was maybe toward BMW in which they did in fact challenge and came up short by 1 point. Next year should be a lot closer from top to bottom, but with Williams getting Toyota power the "Toyota Factory" team could be in jeopardy of finishing behind Williams/Toyota.
Old 10-30-06, 01:28 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i think the aerodynamics of toyota F1 needs to be worked on
drivers arent bad esp at some tracks, just that the cars have been reliable but not that high performance yet
the drivers can only do so much with the cars they have

is Ralf Schumacher still driving for Toyota next year?
i know Truli signed a 3 years contract so he will be in up to 2009

maybe toyota needs some new faces into F1, look at the good stuff Kubica is doing for the BMW Sauber team
Old 10-30-06, 04:22 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drivers are not the problem. Both Trulli and Ralf have proven they can win races. Reliability has been a problem for them, including unique, non-recurring failures that were very hard to track down and resolve.

The car itself was mediocre. This was probably Mike Gascoyne's fault. He had a fetish for aero, and that was the focus of the TF106's design. They should have focused more on mechanical grip and handling, something the team started to do once Gascoyne left mid-season (his departure obviously caused its own problems as well).

The team had/has some serious issues to work through. I've been cheering for them since 2002, but they're really trying my patience. I can only hope next season will be better. They should be at an advantage since they already have experience with Bridgestone, but who knows.

I'm certainly cheering for Kubica, even if he does drive for BMW. I hope Williams does well by Toyota, I could see Toyota eventually absorbing the Williams operation if this happens (ala BMW-Sauber).