Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota fears bigger 2008 Sequoia is too big

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 09:12 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Toyota fears bigger 2008 Sequoia is too big

We're beginning to feel like ToMoCo's having a real Goldilocks-like internal management problem. The past few years of the first-gen model of the Sequoia have been criticized by many as having a model smaller than other SUV's in the "large and in charge" segment, but now some execs inside the automaker from the land of the rising sun are afraid that pendulum's eschewed "just right" and swung way too far in the other direction. While normally, we'd expect the execs talking all sorts of trash internally to remain nameless, this time they're going on the record. Automotive News reports Don Esmond, senior veep of automotive ops at Toyota Motor Sales USA as saying:

"I worry about the Sequoia being too big and not having enough fuel economy, more than I do with the (redesigned) Tundra...[A driver of a full-sized pickup]...won't worry about getting two miles per gallon less, if it's the only thing that can haul his work gear. But there are a lot of choices besides an SUV for hauling your kids to soccer practice."

Esmond's of course...

...talking about the Sequoia's platform, the same humongous one used by the new Tundra pickup, a full-size pickup that's so full-size (how full-size is it?), it doesn't even fit in dealership service bays. You'll remember we reported last month that was a major reason for the one year delay between the unveiling of the truck and its actual release...this next year.

But, now that Toyota's tasted the higher per vehicle profits of the large- and premium-SUV market -- they've been quite unhappy with the drop from a 9.8% share of the market in 2002 to the 6.4% share so far this year. Because no matter how many Prius (Priii?) they sell -- the sales of one Sequoia we hear garners more profit. – Ray Wert
http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/to...rge-206418.php
Old 10-10-06, 01:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always thought that having both the Sequoia and Land Cruiser (as well as the GX and LX) was a bit overkill for Toyota/Lexus. Current market trends are leaning away from SUVs, and although there is a need for more space/capacity, bigger sometimes isn't better.

Toyota has a good divide between the Rav4-Highlander-4Runner-Sequoia. Since the Land Cruiser is going, I think the Sequoia is fine as the lone max-sized SUV in Toyota's lots...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 10-10-06 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 01:04 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

The Sequoia was big enough as it was. What crowd are they going after the Excursion buyers that found out they don't make them anymore?
Old 10-10-06, 01:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

We never got the Sequoia down here (Rav4, 4Runner and Landcruiser only), but I have a friend from Texas with one who lives down the street and he remembers one time he took it over to the local Toyota we have here for service of some kind and was just near the entrance to the service bay and he could hear someone above in Spanish saying, "No quiero este Landcruiser, quiero este camioneta" "I don't want this Landcruiser, I want this SUV" and he pointed at the Sequoia.

Not everyone's cup of tea with its size, but it is one huge vehicle to be admired.
Old 10-10-06, 02:26 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah sequoia was already big enuf

my friend bought it because it didnt look overly big
if it was any bigger, he wouldnt have bought it
Old 10-10-06, 06:53 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Even though big trucks are played out, And yes they had their shine. The Sequoia in my opinion is a (BBT) Beautiful Big Truck.
Old 10-10-06, 07:47 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I always thought that having both the Sequoia and Land Cruiser (as well as the GX and LX) was a bit overkill for Toyota/Lexus. Current market trends are leaning away from SUVs, and although there is a need for more space/capacity, bigger sometimes isn't better.

Toyota has a good divide between the Rav4-Highlander-4Runner-Sequoia. Since the Land Cruiser is gone, I think the Sequoia is fine as the lone max-sized SUV in Toyota's lots...

I really sincerely hope that you are wrong about Land Cruiser being discontinued.

How did you know?
Old 10-10-06, 08:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I see no need for this truck to be significantly bigger than it already is. I liked the fact that the Sequoia was directly in between the Expedition and Suburban size wise. It was a nice alternative. I dont think anyone was complaining about the size of the current one. But considering that the new Tundra is rediculously bigger than the model it replaces, I assume the Sequoia will get the same treatment.

Every car/truck is getting bigger and bigger each generation. Its crazy.

EDIT: I never heard of Toyota discontinuing the LC. That truck is a legend. We have seen spy shots of the LC too less than a month ago(as well as the LX). Unless you mean there is not going to be a 2007/8 model and it will come back the following year.

Last edited by GFerg; 10-10-06 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 09:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I really sincerely hope that you are wrong about Land Cruiser being discontinued.

How did you know?
The LC will live as the LX.

I think people have been moving away from a $50k+ Toyota. People would rather buy a $50k+ Lexus.
Old 10-10-06, 10:23 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

I think people have been moving away from a $50k+ Toyota. People would rather buy a $50k+ Lexus.
As much as I love the Land Crusier and respect its heritage. Your above statement makes so much sense, it's not even funny.
Old 10-10-06, 10:56 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I see no need for this truck to be significantly bigger than it already is. I liked the fact that the Sequoia was directly in between the Expedition and Suburban size wise. It was a nice alternative. I dont think anyone was complaining about the size of the current one. But considering that the new Tundra is rediculously bigger than the model it replaces, I assume the Sequoia will get the same treatment.

Everything car/truck is getting bigger and bigger each generation. Its crazy.
Case in point: the Sienna. The Sienna when it first came out fall of 1997 was pretty small, and when the Honda released the US Odyssey the following year, the Odyssey was the biggest minivan made. Fast forward to 2003 and the new Sienna was huge. And the LS - it gotten bigger from 1995-2000, and bigger still for 2001-2006, and bigger yet for 2007 when the LS600hL and LS460L comes out.
Old 10-11-06, 02:57 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Toyota knows americans like big cars. They are doing what they do best - giving them what they want.
Old 10-11-06, 06:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Agreed.

I have a friend who works in a Toyota dealer down here and he gets asked about Lexus about every other time someone comes in to look at the Landcruiser (no Lexus here yet), and people comment they would rather buy a Range Rover or Mercedes than get the Landcruiser (the concept of quality is rather vague down here, honestly people don't know, but prestige they know very well). I know of a similar type story with the Touareg.

Take a look at the Mexican price in USD:
http://mx.autos.yahoo.com/newcars/to...e_overview.php
Old 10-11-06, 03:10 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I found the Seqouia to be big enough. Are Americans really getting that much bigger?
Old 10-11-06, 05:02 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the Sequoia was a good size for a full size truck. I think he should be worried that it's too big lol. There are definitely people ready to criticise Toyota for coming out with a big truck and denounce Toyota for pretending to be green by promoting the Prius and the other hybrids.

Honestly, they should just offer two powertrains for the Sequoia - V6 hybrid and a diesel lol.