Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you had to buy a SUV in the next 8-10 months what would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 03:47 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you had to buy a SUV in the next 8-10 months what would you buy?

OK I have a 2000 Trooper, it's from MY 00, but it's roots are probably 10+ years old.

I am planning on getting a car-based SUV, but could be talked into a truck-based SUV.

I don't care about 3-rows, either 2 or 3 rows would do, I already have a minivan.

I don't tow.

Must have AWD

I'd prefer most of the newest features (ipod, keyless-go, active headlights etc..) but can do without. But no ipod controls is a bummer.

I'm looking at a HARD price cap, under $50K no exceptions. Would prefer low-$40s but could go higher.

I'm not goingto buy for (hopefully) 6-9 months. But want to see what-all you guys think.

Right now I'm thinking the new MDX looks to be better than the RX350.

new MDX has most powerful V6 in any SUV.

Guess I'm interested in:

RX
FX
MDX
XC90 (V8)
Old 09-05-06, 04:04 PM
LexFather

RX 400h. Tax credit. V-8 like power and passing power. Looks like the RX 350. Features galore. The "it" SUV, something to get people to talk about. Most reliable in class, created the car based luxury SUV segment.

Old 09-05-06, 04:32 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How do you plan to use the SUV? Long touring on the interstate, secondary roads, or urban commuting? Do you plan to take it into a serious offroad environment, camping, fishing, hunting, exploring the outback, or just a little extra insurance that you can get home when you go on dirt roads or off-pavement? If you are thinking about taking it to the beach or to snow country, you may need slightly different capabilities. How much passenger/cargo acommodation?

The reason I ask is that many people purchase an off-road vehicle when less than 1% of their driving will really require a hard-core off-roader. Most of these highly capable go-anywhere machines can be pretty wearing when driven on pavement that other 99% of the time. For me, the RX offers a good compromise of on-road manners and comfort with some soft-road capability. If you are thinking about an urban commuter, Sick's recommendation of the RX 400h is excellent - but if you are going to spend most of your time on the interstate and require a bit more real AWD capability, the RX 350 might be a better choice. The advantages of a hybrid, significant from one stoplight to the next, largely disappear out on the highway.

Among the big crossovers, MB offers a pair of options, but have not been particularly reliable in service. That's going to be a big consideration no matter what SUV you choose. Poor reliability and miserable dealer service will color your experience in very dark hues.

If your needs tilt a bit more toward towing capacity and more serious off-roading, a truck-based SUV would make more sense than a crossover. The GX and LX in the Lexus line are great choices, but run into your budget cap pretty quickly. The Jeep Commander would rank right up there - except for its reputation and possible low resale value, and the Suburban/Tahoe/Explorer can be optioned quite nicely at your price point, and have overcome many of their earlier problems.
Old 09-05-06, 04:41 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>50k VW Touareg
<50k Range Rover Sport

I'll probably have to pay a arm and leg for service and repairs though...
Old 09-05-06, 04:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Forget RX, FX, X5.

The MDX is defenately the way to go. Unlike most of it's competitors, it actually has utility and capability of truck based SUVs, yet it rides just a smooth as the RX, has great power and luxury features. Can't go wrong with it.
Old 09-05-06, 04:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Forget RX, FX, X5.

The MDX is defenately the way to go. Unlike most of it's competitors, it actually has utility and capability of truck based SUVs, yet it rides just a smooth as the RX, has great power and luxury features. Can't go wrong with it.
I find utility in the RX and X5 and they are quite capable. The MDX is not truck based, its mini-van based, off the Odyessy. Its a good competitor in this segment though.

Old 09-05-06, 04:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd never buy an SUV. Just not functional for me.

Therefore, if I was to choose for any reason, I'd go for the G55 AMG.

Old 09-05-06, 06:09 PM
rai
Lead Lap

thanks for the replies. I don't go in mud or rocks, mostly just regular driving.

some will say we don't need an SUV, but we both have jobs (at the same place) where we need to be there even if we have 10"+ of snow. We dont get a lot of snow, but a few times a year it comes in handy where I don't trust our cars.

Guess it's too early to say about the MDX and the new X5, but not too long till they are out (I guess).
Old 09-05-06, 07:06 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The MDX is not truck based, its mini-van based, off the Odyessy.
Actually, I believe the MDX was the first vehicle off of its frame. The Pilot and Odyssey, then, are MDX-based rather than the other way around.
Old 09-05-06, 08:34 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I think the best bang for the buck is the new V6 Rav4 Limited. Great MPG & looks good too.
Old 09-05-06, 08:43 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I will wait for new Land Cruiser, or new X5.
Old 09-05-06, 09:29 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new BMW X5
Old 09-05-06, 09:42 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

06 Range Rover
Old 09-06-06, 05:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tuddy
06 Range Rover
hes gonna love driving loaners, im sure you know where land rover is on the reliability charts
Old 09-06-06, 06:13 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
I will wait for new Land Cruiser, or new X5.
OK they're both greater than $50K (I'd assume) as is the RR.

However when is the Land Cruiser going to come out? Is it soon? Any early pics or info?

Thanks

Quick Reply: If you had to buy a SUV in the next 8-10 months what would you buy?