Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus and Volkswagen highest in vehicle longevity, analyst says

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 09:36 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Lexus and Volkswagen highest in vehicle longevity, analyst says

Lexus and Volkswagen highest in vehicle longevity, analyst says

Richmond Hill, Ontario - Lexus cars and Volkswagen light trucks top the lists in survival rates, according to a report issued by industry analyst Dennis DesRosiers. The report looks at vehicles bought between 11 and 20 years ago, and the percentage that are still on the road today.

The study was conducted by comparing original sales numbers with Polk's current vehicle-on-the-road data, to determine how many units are still in operation and from there, the percentage of survival rates. "Some 64 per cent of light trucks and 53 per cent of passenger cars survive fifteen years of active ownership," DesRosiers says. But he warns that, "Older vehicles are, by a large margin, the least fuel efficient and highest polluting road users. The sooner they disappear, the sooner some of our environmental targets will be met. A cursory look at survival rates makes it crystal clear that all levels of government should be focusing on getting older vehicles off the road, rather than the much more difficult goal of persuading consumers to purchase more fuel-efficient vehicles."

Among passenger cars, Lexus led the list with a 61.60 per cent survival rate, followed by Mercedes-Benz at 44.30 per cent, and Saturn at 41.60 per cent. Cars above the industry average, following those three, were (in order) Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Volvo, Cadillac, Jaguar, Lincoln, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Saab, Buick, Volkswagen, Chrysler and Nissan. Oldsmobile was below the industry average, at minus 0.10 per cent, followed in descending order by Subaru, Chevrolet, Ford, Pontiac, Audi, Mercury, Eagle, Dodge, Suzuki, Plymouth, Isuzu, Hyundai and finally Lada, at minus 28.70 per cent.

Among light trucks, Volkswagen was highest at 27.80 per cent, followed by Chrysler, Pontiac, Land Rover, Chevrolet, Jeep, Toyota and GMC; below the industry average, in descending order, were Mazda, Dodge, Isuzu, Nissan, Ford, Plymouth, Suzuki, and Lada. All below the industry average were only by a slight margin, with second-last Suzuki at minus 8.70 per cent, but Lada was at minus 37.40 per cent.

DesRosiers warns, however, that the numbers do not necessarily reflect quality, and may be affected by such factors as initial inexpensive prices, which may "write off" a vehicle more easily than an expensive model; exportation of vehicles to the U.S.; and fleet vehicles, which tend to reach high mileage sooner than private vehicles.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/060905-1.htm
Old 09-05-06, 09:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
. . . Lexus led the list with a 61.60 per cent survival rate, followed by Mercedes-Benz at 44.30 per cent, and Saturn at 41.60 per cent. Cars above the industry average, following those three, were (in order) Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Volvo, Cadillac, Jaguar, Lincoln, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Saab, Buick, Volkswagen, Chrysler and Nissan. Oldsmobile was below the industry average, at minus 0.10 per cent, followed in descending order by Subaru, Chevrolet, Ford, Pontiac, Audi, Mercury, Eagle, Dodge, Suzuki, Plymouth, Isuzu, Hyundai and finally Lada, at minus 28.70 per cent.
Wow, it isn't even close
Old 09-05-06, 09:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Poor little LADAs. I knew someone who had one down here and boy did he ever keep that car running. A POS but I had to respect it.
Old 09-05-06, 09:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

wow! light trucks VW?
Old 09-05-06, 09:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
wow! light trucks VW?
Ah yes, we have the VW Pointer pickups down here.
Old 09-05-06, 10:06 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this suppose to come at a suprise?

Look at how many people in this club alone has early model Lexus cars that are all going very strong. 17 year old LS's, 15 year old SC's.....

My '93 SC400 has 231,000 miles and runs way the hell better than a brand new Chevy or Ford.

Old 09-05-06, 11:19 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4

My '93 SC400 has 231,000 miles and runs way the hell better than a brand new Chevy or Ford.

Wow. It is you who maintain the car so well, of course also because of Lexus's ultra-superior quality.
Old 09-05-06, 11:52 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
wow! light trucks VW?
Yeah, slightly deceiving. VWlight trucks , not cars.
Old 09-05-06, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

First, I don't think you can compare this company to Consumer Reports when it comes to vehicle reliability, customer satisfaction, etc.....

Second, they themselves admit, at the bottom of the article, that it is not necessarily a measure of vehicle quality. M-B, for example, though second behind Lexus, is a LONG way from Lexus in vehicle quality.
Old 09-05-06, 01:48 PM
LexFather

2 Lexus from 1992 in the family, over 240k miles here........

Old 09-06-06, 04:16 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First, I don't think you can compare this company to Consumer Reports when it comes to vehicle reliability, customer satisfaction, etc.....

Second, they themselves admit, at the bottom of the article, that it is not necessarily a measure of vehicle quality. M-B, for example, though second behind Lexus, is a LONG way from Lexus in vehicle quality.
Right - but constant electrical gremlins do not doom a car to the junk heap - failed engine/trans combos do. The fact is that the Europeans get some serious mileage out of their powertrains*. The wife's aunt just totalled her 1986 E class -had like 200K on it and was actually pretty solid. Maintenance and repairs were not cheap, but they were never major.

* of note, BMW for one has been moving to longer service intervals and doing things like lifetime fills on their differentials. Most people believe this will lead to earlier failures of these components - in fact those who have found a way to drain their differentials report finding the expected metal parts - which are not healthy for long term reliability.
Old 09-06-06, 08:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

My 2004 IS turns 3 years old midway this month. I have 92K on the odometer and the car still runs strong as it did when I first bought it brand new. Even my OEM front brake pads were not changed out until my 90k, and i'm still on my OEM battery. Now that's longevity!