Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche readying seven-speed DSG for lineup

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 07:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Porsche readying seven-speed DSG for lineup

Porsche had hoped to complete work on its sequential manual gearbox in time for this summer’s introduction of the 997-based 911 Turbo, but that car initially arrives with a Tiptronic automatic or a six-speed manual

Porsche is getting ready to roll out a new seven-speed twin-clutch Direct-Shift Gearbox for everything from the Boxster to the forthcoming GT1 supercar, according to a new report by AutoWeek. Citing patent filings, the magazine said Porsche appeared to be planning to offer the technology on all its models. Porsche has long offered customers a choice of either a standard manual gearbox, or a Tiptronic automatic transmission. The DSG system would likely replace the Tiptronic technology, and could even woo some six-speed fans due to its incredible shift speed. According to AutoWeek, Porsche had hoped to have DSG ready for the launch of the 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo, but fell short of that goal.

source : autoweek, leftlanenews
Old 07-25-06, 09:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Oh that's awesome. I'm starting to sell blood plasma right away...
Old 07-25-06, 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very nice. i have always heard that the auto on the porsche is a bit sluggish and doesn't really go with the car too well. i hope this will change it all
Old 07-25-06, 10:02 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
very nice. i have always heard that the auto on the porsche is a bit sluggish and doesn't really go with the car too well. i hope this will change it all
The 997s are supposedly quicker in auto trim than manual. Don't remember the article but I heard it somewhere, or I'm crazy.
Old 07-25-06, 10:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
The 997s are supposedly quicker in auto trim than manual. Don't remember the article but I heard it somewhere, or I'm crazy.
Yes, even the tiptronic it has now is marginally faster than the 6 speed manual, but for a 997, I'd still take a true manual over the tiptronic or even the new DSG anyday.
Old 07-25-06, 10:25 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

That is true about the auto in the 997, my father was mentioning that to me last night after a trip to the Porsche dealer in my neighborhood.

In some cases I would rather have a stickshift, but where I live quite tough to enjoy it in daily traffic.

Also depends on how competent the driver is with a stick versus the tiptronic.
Old 07-25-06, 01:11 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Clutchless shifting takes away from the fun. Porsche's are meant to be driven with a stick.
Old 07-25-06, 02:32 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6 speed manual FTW
Old 07-25-06, 09:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
ah good point, i totally forgot about that. yes the 997 auto is faster than the stick

but yes, same here, if i get the porsche, there is absolutely NO WAY i am getting auto. stick shift all the way. i can care less about the 0.2 sec faster, i want more control and fun
Old 07-25-06, 09:48 PM
LexFather

This will make Porsches even more so, the most drivable sports cars/super cars (turbo).

Incredible.

Yo Lexus, can we get this tranny?

Old 07-27-06, 04:10 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tiptronic 2.0: Porsche Working on 7-Speed Double-Clutch Gearbox

Date posted: 07-26-2006

ZUFFENHAUSEN, Germany — A series of patent applications filed by Porsche hints the German carmaker is planning to replace its existing 5-speed Tiptronic gearbox with a new 7-speed double-clutch gearbox in the Boxster, Cayman and 911.

It was originally intended to be launched on the recently introduced 911 Turbo, but delays in the development of the new gearbox now mean it is unlikely to appear until the face-lifted version of the current 997-series 911 is unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show next year.

Although remaining tight-lipped on when the new gearbox will be introduced, Porsche's head of R&D, Wolfgang Durheimer, describes the double-clutch system as a significant breakthrough. "It will take us to the next performance plane, particularly in terms of acceleration," he told Inside Line.

Porsche is planning to offer the 7-speed unit as an option alongside its standard 6-speed manual gearbox. The existing 5-speed Tiptronic is expected to be dropped, since the new gearbox will have both manual and automatic shift modes.

Porsche isn't the only carmaker planning to introduce a 7-speed double-clutch gearbox. Volkswagen is working on a similar system, albeit for transverse engine applications, as the next step up from its existing 6-speed DSG unit; it could be used on future Polo, Golf, and Passat models. And Audi is using the same technology to develop such a gearbox for longitudinal engine layouts.

What this means to you: Porsche is taking its time sorting its new double-clutch gearbox, but you can be sure that when it arrives, it will give its cars a major boost in performance.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116301