Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche 911 design chief: Next GT3 will have only one transmission - and likely PDK

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 10:08 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Porsche 911 design chief: Next GT3 will have only one transmission - and likely PDK

So the Porsche 911 design chief told Edmunds/InsideLine that only one transmission will be offered on the new GT3, and they are leaning towards PDK. It's shocking to think that the GT3 will be offered without a manual transmission.

Even though I said in the past that I would buy a GT3 as soon as it became available with PDK*, I strongly disapprove of getting rid of the manual option. I think that car manufacturers deserve a lot of praise and respect when they stick to their roots and they give their fanbases what they want. I think it really showed the direction of Ferrari and the type of person they were trying to cater to when they eliminated manual transmissions from their entire lineup, and I never thought Porsche would do the same. I also think it's really funny that the design chief defends PDK-only by saying there were no complaints about the Turbo - well duh, that's not exactly the model that purists and driving enthusiasts are going for.

Hopefully they come to their senses and offer both transmissions. In some ways, I'd rather have them stick with the manual transmission option even if it means not offering PDK. There's something to be said to sticking to tradition and sticking up for purists.

* This was how I felt before they went to electric steering though, so I doubt I'll get one anyway... even though Chris Harris claims the electric steering is really good.

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/91...rbox-only.html

STUTTGART, Germany — Porsche is evaluating a PDK gearbox for the next-generation GT3, due next year. August Achleitner, the 911 project chief, confirmed that Porsche's motorsport division is currently testing both manual and PDK versions of the new GT3. Only one transmission will ultimately be offered for sale, and Achleitner reckons the PDK is the favorite to get the nod.

Stick-shift 911s currently account for just 30 percent of sales. "When we launched the 911 Turbo S, we did not offer a manual, but we have not had a single complaint," Achleitner told Inside Line. A PDK-equipped GT3 would be the next logical step.

Achleitner also confirmed that the next-generation GT3 and GT2 will definitely feature a variant of the electromechanical steering system introduced on the new Carrera. He defended the system, which has been criticized for offering less driver feedback than a traditional hydraulic setup. "The new system only removes the feedback you don't need," he said. "All our race drivers prefer it."
Old 03-06-12, 11:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

not surprising, but it would be nice if they still offered both
Old 03-06-12, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

also don't think it's surprising, though i feel kind of sad
Old 03-07-12, 06:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

lf-a doesn't have a manual. said it before... manuals are pretty stupid on really high HP cars.
Old 03-07-12, 07:37 AM
RaceSC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lf-a doesn't have a manual. said it before... manuals are pretty stupid on really high HP cars.
So because some people can't handle it, they shouldn't offer it at all?

For people who enjoy the art of driving, a manual is the only way to go. Watch video on Turbo Era F1, Group B rally cars, old BTCC races and tell me there isn't something magical about how the car and drivers move as one.

a DCT is faster and more consistent, yes, but you don't get the same egagement that you get from a manual. Hit a perfect heel and toe downshift, and tell me you don't feel two feet taller.
Old 03-07-12, 08:01 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick shifts are reaching a point where they will start to become a dying breed (especially in sport or performance vehicles). Like it or not, such a phenomenon is already happening as we speak......

P.S.
With that said, when was that last time a Lambo had a stick???
Old 03-07-12, 08:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Stick shifts are reaching a point where they will start to become a dying breed (especially in sport or performance vehicles). Like it or not, such a phenomenon is already happening as we speak......

P.S.
The Gallardo Spyder 06-08 was the last one I remember offering stick. Maybe I'm missing one
Old 03-07-12, 09:32 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The LP 670 had stick as an upgrade option, I believe even the LP SV had the manual option too.
Old 03-07-12, 09:33 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The clutch pedal is going away from all cars one day is inevitable, it is obsoleted technologies, even though the fun of driver involvement is undeniable. The question is when, not if.

The reason to stop offering it is R&D cost and manufacturing cost. What doesn't make sense is, if they want to stop offering it, it would be across the entire line of 991. Why would they offer it on the Carrera / S and not on the GT3 that will only have like 50 more hp? Should be the same tranny right? Maybe just different ratio at the most?
Old 03-07-12, 09:36 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the greatest car's I ever drove (if not the greatest) is the GT3 RS. Such an amazing car, but it's showing that against it's competition that the gearbox is putting it behind. They still need to offer a manual though, just need to have PDK available to achieve the numbers that we all perceive as whether the car is good or not.
Old 03-07-12, 09:40 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
P.S.
Like mikez said, the LP670-4 had a manual option, even though only like 3 guys bought one. That's why companies stop offering it, nobody buy it.

The BMW M boss said in an interview in frustration, people kept saying they want a manual, so they spend a tons of money to develop it and offer it, then nobody buys it.

The recent Gallardo Balboni LP550-2 had manual option too, I stop paying attention but I would guess the currently offer LP550-2 would have a manual option as well, it is the same car afterall.
Old 03-07-12, 09:45 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamls2
One of the greatest car's I ever drove (if not the greatest) is the GT3 RS. Such an amazing car, but it's showing that against it's competition that the gearbox is putting it behind. They still need to offer a manual though, just need to have PDK available to achieve the numbers that we all perceive as whether the car is good or not.
Performance # is one thing, I think the bottom line is, very few people want to buy one anymore. The old saying is, as long as people buys it, they would make it.

Even diehard manual purists are changing their mind once they feel how good the latest PDK is.

Jerry Seinfeld compare the manual clutch pedal to the hand crank starter, it is done. Time to move on. And he is a pretty old school kind of guy.

Last edited by BNR34; 03-07-12 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-07-12, 11:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceSC300
So because some people can't handle it, they shouldn't offer it at all?
several factors - if the market's too small then it's not worth it, plus, if people can't handle it, it may produce more warranty claims, making it less worthwhile to do.

For people who enjoy the art of driving, a manual is the only way to go. Watch video on Turbo Era F1, Group B rally cars, old BTCC races and tell me there isn't something magical about how the car and drivers move as one.
i disagree. i guess you're saying owners of new lambos, the lexus lf-a, even the is-f, don't get to enjoy the art of driving.

a DCT is faster and more consistent, yes, but you don't get the same egagement that you get from a manual. Hit a perfect heel and toe downshift, and tell me you don't feel two feet taller.
i agree it's fun, but for me it only makes sense on low HP cars... the new FR-S and the Miata are two great examples.
Old 03-07-12, 02:39 PM
RaceSC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
several factors - if the market's too small then it's not worth it, plus, if people can't handle it, it may produce more warranty claims, making it less worthwhile to do.

i disagree. i guess you're saying owners of new lambos, the lexus lf-a, even the is-f, don't get to enjoy the art of driving.

i agree it's fun, but for me it only makes sense on low HP cars... the new FR-S and the Miata are two great examples.
I am not saying it doesn't make sense for manufacturers to stop making them, the buy rate is 3-5% i have heard, but that doesn't mean people can't lament their passing.

I didn't say it was wholey absent. I am certainly saying that the art of driving is severly diminished with DCT/shift your own autos. For people who have driven both, flicking a paddle and clipping a perfect apex isn't as involving and satisfying as dancing on the pedals to hit the perfect heel and toe and clipping a perfect apex. Also, we all know that 90% of supercars are bought solely to cruise the boulevard, so the art of driving is lost completely lost on them.

I am not here to argue. I know people have different preferences. I just wish people weren't so quick to dismiss a manual gearbox because their are older technology.

P.S. I might be biased, I drive a 600hp manual car in traffic and on the track.
Old 03-07-12, 06:03 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take this as great news and it is about time.

high rev, NA, with PDK, winna!

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 design chief: Next GT3 will have only one transmission - and likely PDK