Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's your thoughts on Replica X?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 11:28 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your thoughts on Replica X?

Ok i've been purusing the newer BMW E90 forums and i've noticed something very interesting and kind of troubling.

Here you've got an average owner age of early 20's driving a 35k+ entry level BMW and they clammer all over replica AC Schnitzer this and Replica that. WTF is wrong with these people that they have total disregard for the tuners that took the time to develop test and certify their products (TUV if german) and jump on the next group buy for some replica spoiler etc.

I notice this more w/ the E90 owners than i've noticed with any other car makes. Audi guys insist on the original and shun those that buy replicas. Lexus owners are the same, very discerning. Even the VW crowd that are typically in their teens will save their lunch money so they can get Oettinger this or Abt that.

WTF?

Input?
Old 07-15-06, 12:58 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get used to it. In europe one of the trends is to put wheels from a different vehicle on your ride, like benz wheels on a jetta or corvette wheels on a GTI. Let people do what they want and just forget about it. There are knock-off brabus kits on ebay all over, you get what you pay for with poor fitiment... ect... an enthusiast will spot the difference easy. With all respect to the VIP crowd a few of them throw knock-off kits and wheels on their rides and roll around playing elitist. No group of car people is excluded from this.

I agree that it is unfortunate that people choose replica pieces over the real deal, though in all fairness in some cases they may not have access to the real deal for one reason or another. It’s also unfortunate how hostile some people become over stuff like that, the guy in the AC schintizer BMW looks down on the guy in the knock off AC bimmer who looks down on the dude in the knock of Q45 who looks down on the dude with the kia who looks down on the dude riding a bicycle whos looking back at them thinking “look at those jackasses and their gasoline engines”

Live and let live, Mod and let mod.

Last edited by BigVIPness; 07-15-06 at 01:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-06, 01:15 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think sometimes too, there are more replicas for certain makes and models of cars. Thus, giving people the option to opt for these replicas. With the popularity of the 3 Series its easy to see why there would be lots of replicas to choose from. If you drive something less popular to mod, you'll probably find less replica stuff and you'd be more or less forced to buy "the real deal." Also, for mods, seeing how some people view them as not adding any monetary value to their car, such as wheels and body-kits they dont mind opting for replicas.
Old 07-15-06, 06:22 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think it is just the BMW E90 folks. I see it in most every main stream car forum. Even right here on CL it seems like more people have a copy or replica than the original JDM part. I think it is just human nature that people want to pay a cheaper price. Some are into the "All authentic" name brand parts, but most are just into the look. Peronsally, I think the owners with all authentic parts for any main stream car are in the minority. That includes rims as well. Me personally, I don't care what an individual does to his own car. As long as they are happy.