Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Acura RL now offered in 3 instead of 2 trims and Autospies Acura article

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 12:58 AM
LexFather

Post 2007 Acura RL now offered in 3 instead of 2 trims and Autospies Acura article

For 2007 the RL will recieve a new trim level, which will be its new base model.

RL - Base model with NO Navigation.

RL Tech - Same as base but adds Navigation (Same model as base 2006 RL).

RL CMBS/PAX (no offical name yet) - Same as RL Tech but adds collision mitigation braking system, PAX (run-flat) tires, and adaptive cruise control (Same model as 2006 RL TECH).

Prices are unannounced but obviously prices will be basically the same as the current ones.

Current base RL is $49,300, which will become the RL TECH's base price while the RL CMBS/PAX will be $53,100 which is the current RL Tech's base price. Acura charges a $1500-$2000 premium on all other models for Navigation...so expect the new Base RL to hit between $47,300-$47,800.

My 2 cents, they still have no clue

Old 07-09-06, 01:03 AM
LexFather

http://www.autospies.com/news/Acura-...dn-t-fix-6500/

Tags: Acura, RSX, TSX, CL, TL, RL, NSX
Acura - Yea, they've got problems, but it's nothing a little automotive rehab couldn't fix.
Acura's problem is that they do not position themselves directly in competition against their competitors, it seems. Also, they lack focus. As another Autospies.com poster put it, they lack variations on their models and they are also uncertain of their brand image. The reason I say that they are uncertain of their brand image is because there is not a genuine theme that really ties each model to one another. The RSX is a 2-door Civic/Japanese Integra still, the TSX is a Euro Accord, and the TL is basically an Accord, and the RL is inexcusably soft. For a flagship, the RL lacks that certain something that it must be remembered by to really make it a success. What is its standout feature? That's what's missing guys.

Quite often, you will see magazine comparos of small sport sedans. These comparisons are very common. There will be the usual competitors such as: 3-Series, C-Class, G35, IS-Series, A4, and then there is the Acura entry. Many magazine reviewers seem confused as to what competes in this category. Is it the TSX or TL? Who really knows? Essentially, this is why the Acura brand image is a tad foggy.

Acura models lack differentiation between each other. If I was looking for a mid-sized luxury sedan, I wouldn't be certain which Acura to be looking at. Would I be looking for a TL or an RL. Looking for a $40k Canadian sport sedan, do I look at a TSX or TL? To be very honest, though, there are differences, but not enough for me to say that Acura isn't sitting on the fence of where they want their cars to compete.

In Canada, the CSX is completely unnecessary. The CSX is a badge-engineered Civic sedan. The CSX is too close to the TSX. The CSX confirms Acura's confused image. Not only is Acura confused within its own product line-up, but they are confused between themselves and Honda.

In today's automotive market, there has been established various categories. If Acura wants their cars to seriously compete, they have to go head to head DIRECTLY with their rivals. This means making a direct 3/IS/C/G/A4 competitor. Take the TSX, give it a makeover for 2008, and come out with 2 engines, choice of SH-AWD or FWD, and 3 body styles (sedan, coupe, and coupe/convertible). Next is the TL! Redesign the TL to go head-to-head with the ES 350. Offer SH-AWD on the TL to steal ES 350 customers that would like AWD on a midsize entry-level luxury sedan. Once again, undercut the cost of the ES 350 and offer the base AWD variant for a few grand more than a base ES 350. Redo the RL from the ground up - ASAP. Nice interior, but nothing memorable. Include SH-AWD as STANDARD. Offer either a 3.5L V6 or a new V8. Do not release the RL without one! That would be death times 2! If Acura does not make the RL's styling eye-catching and upscale/classy, then they have lost us, and even worse, lost that market segment. Currently, the generic exterior that the RL has is pathetic.

Acura needs a real flagship car, whether it is an LS, S, 7, and A8 competitor, or a reborn NSX. Really, it should be one or the other right now. Acura should get its ducks in a row before it tackles a flagship sedan. Really, I don't think it has even occurred to them either way anyways. For the reborn NSX, I see the car competing against the 911 4S, Corvette, Viper, and SL550. There is no need to price the car above $100,000 USD ($150,000 CANADIAN). There is enough seriously fast competition in the $75-100K USD sports car category for a well-engineered and styled NSX to give itself and Acura a proper image that should lift Acura to a whole new level.

Acura does have a few problems now, but nothing that cannot be fixed. The company needs to re-align its products against its direct competitors and at the same time find a niche such as what Infiniti has found that distinguishes itself from the rest. I am looking forward to what Acura has to offer in the next 5-10 years. This will be enough time for Acura to be taken seriously in North America (Global recognition is a whole other can of worms, yet is tangential to this article. I am sure many of you could find out how, i.e. badge-engineering...).

Old 07-09-06, 08:30 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remembered reading that Acura TL wants to compete against the BMW 5. Im certain that i either read or listen to this. Well like you said, acura needs either two entry level cars,

wether its the TSX & the TL or TSX & a brand new model,
or
have the TSX as their entry level sport sedan (G,IS,C,3,A4 market)
make the TL into the midsize sport sedan (E,5,GS,A6 market)
and make the RL a real FULL SIZED luxury sedan with a size atlease 197 inches long (S,7,LS,A8 market)

but Acura/Honda i think really needs is an RWD so those sedans can compete better against other cars in it class, hopefully the nex MDX is bigger somewhat to. The current MDX is a awquard car, its weird, meaing it looks big, the way the body is shaped, but in the market as the RX and ML such cars like that

But anywho i like acura, was gonna do a trade in for a black on black TL with the aero kit fully loaded with a flowmaster exhaust (sounds AWESOME).
Old 07-09-06, 08:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Have you driven a new RL yet, Mike? If not, go test one out and see if you feel the same way. If you do, then fine....I will respect your opinion. This car, IMO, is superb, despite its Accord-based looks....and the V6, while not having 8 cylinders, will make you think you actually have 8. The SH AWD holds curves like on rails., and the build quality will remind you of a Swiss Watch. The only problem with this car is that, like the also superb Lexus GS300 AWD, it is not cheap...it costs MUCHO pesos.

The way I see it, more model and price choices among the RL line just mean more of a good thing. I myself like the idea of a non-NAV version.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-06 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-09-06, 08:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by AJL0365
I remembered reading that Acura TL wants to compete against the BMW 5. Im certain that i either read or listen to this. Well like you said, acura needs either two entry level cars,

wether its the TSX & the TL or TSX & a brand new model,
or
have the TSX as their entry level sport sedan (G,IS,C,3,A4 market)
make the TL into the midsize sport sedan (E,5,GS,A6 market)
and make the RL a real FULL SIZED luxury sedan with a size atlease 197 inches long (S,7,LS,A8 market)

but Acura/Honda i think really needs is an RWD so those sedans can compete better against other cars in it class
The TL , like the G35 sedan, is already a mid-size sport sedan although it's entry level lux. in price range.
They need to make the RL bigger to compete against the competitor's flagship, preferably with a RWD/AWD V8. Right now the RL 's interior is not more spacious than the TL.
Old 07-09-06, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
The TL , like the G35 sedan, is already a mid-size sport sedan although it's entry level lux. in price range.
They need to make the RL bigger to compete against the competitor's flagship, preferably with a RWD/AWD V8. Right now the RL 's interior is not more spacious than the TL.
True, The RL is not arena-sized inside, but that interior is extremely well-crafted and assembled.
I still think it is, hands-down, the best mass-produced car Acura ever built. Will it be even better with a V8? Maybe........time will tell. We'll find out when the next one is released in a few years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-06 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-09-06, 05:04 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now Autospies, clearly not an objective and unbiased source, has fallen into the trap of thinking that all carmakers have to offer the same competing models in the same classes. Why? In order to fit their preconceived notions of what vehicles to pit against each other in comparos?

The bottom line is that Acura has done very well (REMARKABLY well) by NOT fitting into those stereotypes. There is very clearly a market, though not perhaps among automotive journalists and 1SickLex, for people who don't need things simplified to that degree for them.

People could face worse decisions in their life than whether a TSX, TL, or RL is the best vehicle for them.
Old 07-09-06, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
So now Autospies, clearly not an objective and unbiased source, has fallen into the trap of thinking that all carmakers have to offer the same competing models in the same classes. Why? In order to fit their preconceived notions of what vehicles to pit against each other in comparos?

It's not just a marketing question....it is financial as well. Not every company can AFFORD to offer a vehicle in every category. For instance, it would be unrealistic to see a small company in the American market like Suzuki or Isuzu try and offer literally dozens of different vehicles like Ford, Chevy, or Toyota does.