Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Its been awhile. 1SICKRANT. Why do pickups towing something drive in the fast lane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 05:46 PM
LexFather

Angry Its been awhile. 1SICKRANT. Why do pickups towing something drive in the fast lane?

Yeah, its that time, and its hot today, so that is enough reason.

What the hell is it with assclowns in a pickup or SUV or hell even a car, TOWING something, driving in the FAST LANE!?!??!? They drive 50mph and I can't see around your giant rig, now I can't see ANYTHING with this BUILDING your towing!?!?!

This also seems to affect ******** in moving trucks, a big giant Ryder or UHaul truck in the fast lane.

Has anyone ever driven a Uhaul truck? I have a few times and I STAY out the fast lane, ESPECIALLY when I have a full cargo bed. The truck stops 0-60 in 1000 feet I think. It wobbles and feels as safe as swimming next to a great white shark bleeding.

So i cannot understand how people drive these things going 60mph in the FAST LANE!?!?!

Lets go on to these towing idiots. WHATEVER you are TOWING is swaying left and right in front of me, while you go 50mph in the fast lane. You seem OBLIVIOUS that you are TOWING something!?!!? Stay in the SLOW LANE.

Why would anyone tow a boat, trailer another car, some huge GIANT object, in the fast lane? It makes no sense! Its UNSAFE!!!!!

ITS RUDE!!!!!

I don't what is wrong with people. COmmon sense and common courtesy would tell me, hey, I am towing something, I better stay in the slow lane in case I have to move over quickly. Not only that, people can't see around me and its harder for me to see behind me. Not only that, I can't travel that fast or react quickly while I tow this item.

But no, in peoples usual rudeness, they tow in the fast lane.

Idots.

Old 05-20-06, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Tell you what, Mike....instead of a 1.00 SICKrant, would you settle for an 0.99 SICKrant?

In most cases I agree with you, but in a few cases ( like here in No VA at the I66/ I495 / Dulles Access Road interchanges ) there are left-hand exits off a freeway where you HAVE to get in the left lane to make the exit....and heavy traffic forces the driver to do it quite a ways back or he might not be able to get off. And that, of course, is complicated even more by a long, heavy truck towing a trailer or another vehicle behind it.
You no doubt have a LOT of traffic in the Atlanta area.....it is right behind DC and third in the nation in traffic density. However, in most places, most of the time, what you say is correct.....drivers like this are lane hogs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-20-06 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-20-06, 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Left lane exits on major highways suck. They're dangerous.

But as for truck/trailers in left lane when it's not an exit - yes, truly BAD driving.
Old 05-20-06, 08:05 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm even less patient than you. I don't think cargo vans or mini vans should be allowed in the fast lane. Actually scrap that, anything over 60 inches high = no more left lane, imo.

Edit - no 4 cylinders either, unless they're turbo'd in which case we'll let them slide...
Old 05-20-06, 10:42 PM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

Truck isnt bad actually....
buses driving on the fast lane is the worst, I see that everyday. At first i just get pissed off and go pass them, now I just cant stand it and cant control myself anymore I go next to them, HOOK until they look at me and give me a WTF look, i give the driver a finger ( you can call me an *** but they seriously **** me off) and then gun it...because I am sure a bus driver know better on which lane are they suppose to stay
I hate slow drivers just ignore which lane are they really belong to and they get pissed at people passing them!!!
Old 05-21-06, 07:49 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hate that too. The road in front of my house is 55. Unless I leave somewhere after 8:30 at night, I never do more than 30-35. Always because ONE person is going slow.
Old 05-21-06, 11:03 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

One time driving into Charleston on I-26 there was a flatbed truck in front of me in the far-left lane carrying bricks. The truck hit a break in the road and a couple bricks fell off and almost hit my Explorer (the car I had at the time) - I swerved to miss them just in time. Almost tipping that piece of crap is one of the primary reasons I'm no longer a fan of SUVs or anything huge and heavy on the road - especially in the fast lane.

M.
Old 05-21-06, 02:20 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The worst is when you have a bus or box truck taking the carpool lane. They shouldn't even be allowed to go in diamond lanes period. AND it sucks even more when they are in there when there
is not traffic or congestion.

What are these idoits thinking? Its drivers that put their needs first without thinking about the
greater good and flow of traffic.
Old 05-21-06, 04:34 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Driving on the 610 South Loop this morning, I came up on a car towing a van with a badly frayed nylon strap. About the time I got alongside, I saw the strap break. Not wanting to remain on the scene for the ensuing accident, I floored it and broke for the far left lane. The van, without the engine running had no power steering and the small man (possibly a woman) at the wheel had a fight on his hands after instinctively heading for the shoulder - at highway speed.

It was about this same time the "dirver" discovered he had no power brakes either - and his buddy in the tow car decided to hit the brakes to help the guy in the van. Not a good idea. . . . Long story short, no obvious wreck (I was concentrating on my own situation, trying to avoid the circus playing out in my mirrors).

Fortunately, there was no traffic on the Loop early on Sunday morning, which probably saved the lives of these two morons - and possibly others. I'm filing this one with the guys changing a tire in the center lane of the freeway. There must be some chlorination of the gene pool going on!
Old 05-22-06, 09:17 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I love left lane bandits. They are poking along, yacking on their cell phone...
I approach, casually flash my high-beams as a friendly reminder to move over...
The bandit gives me the one-finger salute... somehow, I'm the a-hole?
Old 05-22-06, 10:51 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I love left lane bandits. They are poking along, yacking on their cell phone...
I approach, casually flash my high-beams as a friendly reminder to move over...
The bandit gives me the one-finger salute... somehow, I'm the a-hole?
Bob, just get someone to go with you so you can take the carpool lane