Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Used car choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 03:08 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used car choices

I'm looking for a sedan and came across these 2 cars i'm going to look at this weekend.

http://www.bydesignautogroup.com/photos.php?id=348
http://www.bydesignautogroup.com/photos.php?id=431

To see the vehicle info click on cars and scroll down, you'll see both on the first page.

Right now it will replace our Jeep GC as our third "extra" vehicle. Eventually it will be the vehicle my daughter drives, she's 12 now, and serve as a family vehicle in the mean time. I'm going to look at the ES but the LS caught my eye and figured I'd give it a look too.

So all you Lexus gurus give me the low down on these 2 particular vehicles, years, etc. Obviously you can't see them in person so base what you can on what you see.
Old 05-18-06, 03:51 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you want big or small? If your daughter will be driving it one day, the ES is probably a
better choice for a teenager. It's much more manageable and easier on gas too.

The family will definitely ride much better in comfort with the LS and it does have significantly
much more road presense than the ES.

They are both really good cars, it all depends on your budget. I would go for the LS personally
since it's still a good looking car despite it being over 10 years old.
Old 05-18-06, 04:08 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LS >> ES. More comfort, luxury, and room.

If your daughter drives the LS in the future, it shouldn't be too difficult of a car to handle. Just have her take her time in learning how to parallel park. Insurance between the two cars won't be that different either, because insurance for any teenager is killer anyways.
Old 05-18-06, 05:12 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS is a much larger and more "family" oriented vehicle, but my vote goes to the ES... even though it is more money.

My reasoning is such: If the plan is to have your daughter driving the car as her first vehicle, then I'm sure vehicle safety is of the utmost concern to you. The ES features more safety features than the LS including side-impact airbags and xenon headlights. Also, as un-fun as it may be to drive, FWD does provide much better traction in less-than-ideal weather conditions making it safer in the rain (although the LS does come with traction control so that's a plus)

The ES was designed to be a sort of poor-man's LS, so comfort and refinement in the ES are at near LS levels. As long as you keep that oil changed regularly, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the ES from a comfort and reliability stance.
Old 05-18-06, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

My reasoning is much the same as that of Leets above....the ES, for a number of reasons, will make a better daily driver. And the white color of that one will help it stay cool in hot weather. However, regular oil changes with the 3.0L V6 are a MUST........do NOT skip them. And, obviously, try and find out what the service history is.....somtimes CarFax can help out here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-18-06 at 05:27 PM.