Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2006 VW GTI (2 door)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 07:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,638 Posts
Default Review: 2006 VW GTI (2 door)

I just test drove a 2006 VW GTI with the 6 speed DSG transmission. I saw it in the C&D comparo with the new Civic Si and decided I wanted to look at it.

I believe this car was released in the U.S. in January of this year. The GTI is a 3 door hatchback that's roomier inside than you might expect. The front grill is similarly 'long and low' as the new Audi look. Some will like it, some won't. I thought it looked good on this model. The interior is, like many VW interiors, kind of "Audi-lite" - tasteful, high quality, but without wood of much other materials. The seats can be had in a funky 'plaid' cloth, or an outstanding stitched leather, and both styles have excellent bolstering, and the front seating and head room is PLENTY for me and I'm 6'3, 205 with long legs. The rear seat isn't bad (better than a new IS, for example) but I still wouldn't want to spend a long trip back there. The hatchback keeps rear headroom ok, and the storage space is excellent. Gotta love vertical back hatchbacks for that. The steering wheel is off the charts in feel - leather with the squared off bottom and chunky parts around 10a.m./2p.m. - feels awesome. The lights are bi-xenons and look awesome off or on! It comes with 17" or optional 18" rims. The guages have red needles, a red digital information center between the guages, and the main speedo/tach are lit BLUE when you turn on the lights. Took me a bit of getting used to - not sure if I really like it, but it's unique and pretty cool.

OK, enough of the look and feel, what about the go bits? It's FWD (hmm) with a 2.0 direct injection turbocharged engine. 200hp and 207lb/ft torque I believe. In other words, plenty, for a vehicle of this size. This vehicle is NOT slow and turbo lag feels just about non-existent, coming on strong at a low 1800rpm.

Now the real kicker - the vehicle is offered with a 6 speed manual (nice), or a 6 speed DSG transmission which means it has two clutches to pre-engage the next up AND down gears at all times, and gears can be changed with a snick forward or back of the gear stick, or using down/up (left/right) paddles behind the steering wheel. This is like no auto tranny you've ever used. Up and downshifts are basically instantaneous - it's incredible.

The car picks up speed deceptively quickly and the growl/roar from the engine is nice, although still 4-banger like, not like a V8 or anything.

The car transmits more road noise into the cabin than I might like, but it's not too bad.

But somewhere among the combination of the seats, steering wheel, roominess, the DSG, this is one FUN but still fairly practical car.

I think the car is between 25-30K, and the value is hard to guage, but it seemed good to me. Hard to know on reliability - VW hasn't been so hot in recent years I believe, but everyone I know who has a VW *LOVES* it. I know people with Jettas, Bugs, Passats.

Anyway, here's a grab of the dash from one of those 360 view things (that's why it's a bit distorted):
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2006 VW GTI (2 door)-gti-dash.jpg  
Old 04-20-06, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Those lights
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2006 VW GTI (2 door)-gti-lights.jpg  
Old 04-20-06, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

One more - the unique blue/red guages.
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2006 VW GTI (2 door)-gti-guages.jpg  
Old 04-20-06, 07:49 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

ahhh nice review. Even though the GTI is really not my style, I kinda like it. Very clean design.

A friend of mine got an A3 late last year and I got to drive it as well. Man that DSG tranny is remarkable. Lightening quick shifts(up and down) and it was kinda smooth too. Oh and turbo lag like you said is pretty much non existant. The DSG completely transforms these little cars into a very fun ride. I loved the A3.

So you getting one soon Paul?? Or is this an option for your friend(the one that was looking at the Civic)??
Old 04-20-06, 08:03 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything you said. I test drove one last Friday for the hell of it. Same package. And I actually liked that car a lot. That DSG tranny is definitely the one to have in that car.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I just test drove a 2006 VW GTI with the 6 speed DSG transmission. I saw it in the C&D comparo with the new Civic Si and decided I wanted to look at it.

I believe this car was released in the U.S. in January of this year. The GTI is a 3 door hatchback that's roomier inside than you might expect. The front grill is similarly 'long and low' as the new Audi look. Some will like it, some won't. I thought it looked good on this model. The interior is, like many VW interiors, kind of "Audi-lite" - tasteful, high quality, but without wood of much other materials. The seats can be had in a funky 'plaid' cloth, or an outstanding stitched leather, and both styles have excellent bolstering, and the front seating and head room is PLENTY for me and I'm 6'3, 205 with long legs. The rear seat isn't bad (better than a new IS, for example) but I still wouldn't want to spend a long trip back there. The hatchback keeps rear headroom ok, and the storage space is excellent. Gotta love vertical back hatchbacks for that. The steering wheel is off the charts in feel - leather with the squared off bottom and chunky parts around 10a.m./2p.m. - feels awesome. The lights are bi-xenons and look awesome off or on! It comes with 17" or optional 18" rims. The guages have red needles, a red digital information center between the guages, and the main speedo/tach are lit BLUE when you turn on the lights. Took me a bit of getting used to - not sure if I really like it, but it's unique and pretty cool.

OK, enough of the look and feel, what about the go bits? It's FWD (hmm) with a 2.0 direct injection turbocharged engine. 200hp and 207lb/ft torque I believe. In other words, plenty, for a vehicle of this size. This vehicle is NOT slow and turbo lag feels just about non-existent, coming on strong at a low 1800rpm.

Now the real kicker - the vehicle is offered with a 6 speed manual (nice), or a 6 speed DSG transmission which means it has two clutches to pre-engage the next up AND down gears at all times, and gears can be changed with a snick forward or back of the gear stick, or using down/up (left/right) paddles behind the steering wheel. This is like no auto tranny you've ever used. Up and downshifts are basically instantaneous - it's incredible.

The car picks up speed deceptively quickly and the growl/roar from the engine is nice, although still 4-banger like, not like a V8 or anything.

The car transmits more road noise into the cabin than I might like, but it's not too bad.

But somewhere among the combination of the seats, steering wheel, roominess, the DSG, this is one FUN but still fairly practical car.

I think the car is between 25-30K, and the value is hard to guage, but it seemed good to me. Hard to know on reliability - VW hasn't been so hot in recent years I believe, but everyone I know who has a VW *LOVES* it. I know people with Jettas, Bugs, Passats.

Anyway, here's a grab of the dash from one of those 360 view things (that's why it's a bit distorted):
Old 04-20-06, 08:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
A friend of mine got an A3 late last year and I got to drive it as well. Man that DSG tranny is remarkable. Lightening quick shifts(up and down) and it was kinda smooth too. Oh and turbo lag like you said is pretty much non existant. The DSG completely transforms these little cars into a very fun ride. I loved the A3.
Hmmm... A3 - yeah, I should check that out too! Thanks.

So you getting one soon Paul?? Or is this an option for your friend(the one that was looking at the Civic)??
I'm looking for another vehicle, yes, and obviously not as expensive as a Lexus!

A friend was interested in the Civic Si and I went to look at that for grins too. Sweetest stick shift EVER. Not much power though, short of stratospheric revs.
Old 04-20-06, 09:21 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the local Subaru dealership sells VW together...and while test driving a legacy...i was completely smitten by the GTi. the plaid fabric seats are just gorgeous.
Old 04-21-06, 02:14 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol my buddy has a VR6 jetta and he hates the repair costs...

the parts cost just as much as MB or BMW parts...
Old 04-21-06, 03:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice review, bit.
VW received a lot of complaints about the last GTI being too heavy and softly-sprung for a true pocket-rocket and supposedly took pains this time to restore some of its former athletic qualities.
I have not driven or reviewed a DSG-equipped car myself yet but have read much about this transmission in auto mags and other reviews. Did you find the shift quality smooth? One of the most common complaints with auto-manuals without torque converters ( such as BMW's Sequential Manual Transmission, or SMT ) is that the shifts tend to be harsh....sometimes unnecessarily so. Other reviews of the DSG I have read have said that is generally not the case with this transmission, in addition to the lightning-quick gear engagement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-06 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-21-06, 04:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

New GTI handles much better due to mulitlink at the back, definetly an nice car. AMS rated it better than 130i.
Old 04-21-06, 06:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the DSG tranny has its own lubrication and the fluid must be watched and serviced properly (more frequent than an auto) or it will mess up. Its a small sacrifice for the huge performance the DSG has
Old 04-21-06, 06:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have not driven or reviewed a DSG-equipped car myself yet but have read much about this transmission in auto mags and other reviews. Did you find the shift quality smooth? One of the most common complaints with auto-manuals without torque converters ( such as BMW's Sequential Manual Transmission, or SMT ) is that the shifts tend to be harsh....sometimes unnecessarily so. Other reviews of the DSG I have read have said that is generally not the case with this transmission, in addition to the lightning-quick gear engagement.
Good question - Initially I was literally PUZZLED, like as I shifted with DSG because I felt NOTHING - I just saw the tach needle go up or down as I shifted! It's THAT good.
Old 04-21-06, 06:33 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

bitkahuna - Great review. My friend has had his GTI for about 3 months now and just about everything you've said sums it up pretty well. It really is a fun car to drive especially with the DSG

Here's a couple shots he took of his GTI when he first got it...

With his 99' GTI in the background

Old 04-21-06, 11:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Seize - thanks for the feedback and pics. Looks great!

Too bad they raised the suspension 15mm for the U.S. market though.
Old 04-21-06, 12:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Good question - Initially I was literally PUZZLED, like as I shifted with DSG because I felt NOTHING - I just saw the tach needle go up or down as I shifted! It's THAT good.
did you put it into Auto mode and simply mashed the pedal to the redline?

Quick Reply: Review: 2006 VW GTI (2 door)