Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3 technologies worth watching

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 08:23 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 3 technologies worth watching

3 technologies worth watching
Automotive News / April 3, 2006 - 6:00 am

DETROIT - When an automaker or one of its suppliers develops a new technology, there's no guarantee it will be embraced by the car-buying public. But Staff Reporter Richard Truett says three innovations bear watching. Here they are with his predictions for each.

1. Four-wheel steering

Four-wheel steering failed on compact Japanese cars in the 1980s and 1990s. It failed on General Motors' big trucks this decade. But don't write off four-wheel steering just yet.

Delphi Corp. engineered the system offered on the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups and Chevy Suburban and GMC Yukon SUVs from 2002 to 2005. The innovation was greeted with little enthusiasm by consumers. But that probably had more to do with poor marketing than a lack of performance.

By electronically enabling the rear wheels to turn as much as 12 degrees - it was the first production application of steer-by-wire - the so-called Quadrasteer system reduced the turning radius of those GM trucks from 44 feet to just 36.5 feet.

Also, Quadrasteer improved high-speed cornering stability because it helped keep the vehicle's body from leaning during turns. It was aimed at drivers who often towed boats and trailers. Quadrasteer hit the market as a hefty $4,495 option. GM later reduced the price to $2,000 but did little to promote it.

The technology may not be dead. Delphi hopes to sell it to another manufacturer.

Prediction: Because the big pickup market is becoming so competitive, look for four-wheel steering, by Delphi or another supplier, to appear on a Ford, Dodge, Toyota or Nissan pickup.

2. Night vision

The idea of using an infrared camera to detect heat-emitting objects in front or on the sides of a vehicle was a good one. GM's choice of the 2000 Cadillac DeVille to roll out the technology by Raytheon was not. Nor was the method of display, on the windshield. The grille-mounted camera focused on the area around the front of the car and could see as far ahead as 500 yards. Ghostly images were projected on the lower left portion of the windshield. But if the car was moving at, say, 50 mph, it could be hard for the driver to stay focused on the road while looking at the picture on the windshield.

It was also a pricey option (about $2,200). More than 6,000 units were sold the first model year; then volume plummeted, and Cadillac dropped the option after the 2005 model year.

Instead of discontinuing the technology, GM could have found a more suitable vehicle line for the technology - say, Hummer. Also, the system could have been used by hunters and sportsmen who often take their vehicles off-road.

But night vision systems are not dead. Autoliv and Siemens VDO offer newer versions with better displays that are much easier on the eyes.

Prediction: Look for see-in-the-dark systems to make a comeback and be installed in mainstream vehicles within five years.

3. Black boxes

Just who owns the information contained in a car's data recorder is the subject of debate not only in the auto industry but also by those in state and federal government agencies.

Many vehicles on the road already have at least some ability to capture and store data such as vehicle speed and seat belt status.

Black boxes can help automakers diagnose hard-to-trace electrical problems. The devices also can assist accident investigators as they determine what happened before, during and after a crash. Any part of the vehicle that has a sensor, from the seats to the brake system, can feed data into the black box.

Automakers could use the information in black boxes to defend themselves against lawsuits involving claims of defects. Or lawyers could use the information in the boxes to prove a component failed. Black boxes are controversial, some feel, because the information they contain could be used to usurp a person's right to privacy.

Prediction: There will be uniform requirements spelling out what data can be captured, who can have access to it and how it can be used. But, even then, this is a technology that virtually all cars will have soon.
\
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...fsect=BREAKING
Old 04-03-06, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

night vision indeed is getting on a lot of cars now. i am still kinda wondering about it though. unless i go really dark area (off road), with hid and good lighting, is it really necessary?! but of course, it's always good gadgets.

for 4 wheel steering, i am sure it's a good thing to have. i thought the skyline had it, no?
Old 04-03-06, 09:57 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
night vision indeed is getting on a lot of cars now. i am still kinda wondering about it though. unless i go really dark area (off road), with hid and good lighting, is it really necessary?! but of course, it's always good gadgets.

for 4 wheel steering, i am sure it's a good thing to have. i thought the skyline had it, no?
The Night Vision Assist on the MB S550 acts like a high beam for you. Except you don't need to activate the high beams.
Old 04-03-06, 12:26 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the black box idea.
Old 04-03-06, 01:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
The Night Vision Assist on the MB S550 acts like a high beam for you. Except you don't need to activate the high beams.
ummm ic, that's an interesting use of the night vision, and i think it could be a good thing coz' it won't blind the oncoming traffic
Old 04-03-06, 02:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
I don't like the black box idea.
some insurance companies proposed to put a black box with GPS in it, being GPS it can read your current speed and electronicly limit your speed, no freaking thanks
Old 04-03-06, 04:00 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of this is all that new - Prelude had 4WS a long time ago. Even the new Infinit M has it. Black boxes have been in cars for over 10 years and night vision is just a niche thing.
Old 04-03-06, 04:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How about the upcoming automatic parallel parking feature? That should be something that's worth to watch, especially in urban areas.
Old 04-03-06, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
some insurance companies proposed to put a black box with GPS in it, being GPS it can read your current speed and electronicly limit your speed, no freaking thanks
This is coming, but probably it would be started with interstate driving.

Has anyone wondered why ALL CARS aren't already electronically limited to say 80mph?
Old 04-03-06, 08:20 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Big brother wants to crack down harder on us already oppressed people...we must fight brothers and take down this oppressive establishment....hehe.