Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Mark X

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 08:19 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota Mark X

I went to China for spring break! I saw many Toyota Mark X in main China! It looks so much Lexus GS300!

After surviving for 36 years, the Mark II nameplate finally gave way to Mark X – this is the alphabetic letter X which stands for an unknown. Interestingly, the car is really entering an uncertain time. Mark II used to be a Japan-bounded sports sedan. Car enthusiasts liked to tune it with stiff suspensions and boost its turbocharger to deliver big power. But globalisation is crumpling the unique breed of Japanese cars. As Toyota is to start selling Lexus in its domestic market, Mark X will find its survival space threatened by Lexus GS and IS.

In fact, the Mark X already overlaps with Lexus GS in many ways. Both cars and Toyota Crown actually share the same rear-drive platform with 2850 mm wheelbase. While Crown is styled more conservatively and equipped luxuriously to please older buyers, the Mark X and GS are supposed to attract young and keen drivers. Worse still, a switch to a normally aspirated V6 seriously limited the tuning potential of Mark X, as did the electronic variable damping suspension.

That leaves the packaging to differ them. Lexus GS was styled with strong European flavour. In contrast, Mark X looks slimmer and lighter, with a clearly defined 3-box profile. Its soft-techno look has strong Japanese character, although you cannot describe it as beautiful. The Japanese techno fashion continues in the cabin. Its instrument panel is illuminated by cool-looking blue LED, the multi-purpose LCD screen on the center console is decorated with a stylish faux aluminum panel. This cabin looks more exciting than that of the Lexus GS.

Build quality is close to Lexus level. Most plastics are high quality, as are the wood and optional leather. But most Mark X will be sold with the standard cloth seat whose dark color doesn't look as inviting. The cabin is not as comfortable as Lexus and Crown, especially at the back. The rear seat is too flat to be comfortable, a trade-off for its folding seat back. It is also mounted too low in the cabin, therefore the middle passenger has his legroom seriously blocked by the large transmission tunnel. This means Mark X is more a 4-seater than 5-seater.

Open the bonnet, you will discover either a 2.5 or 3.0-litre V6, both completed with aluminum block, 24 valves, dual VVT-i and direct injection. The 3-litre engine is actually the same one as Lexus GS300, although it is rated at 256 horsepower (vs 245 hp) according to JIS standard. The Mark X lost the Lexus' extensive sound insulation, so from the cabin you can hear the sporty exhaust roar of the V6. Because its is 90 kg lighter than the equivalent Lexus, you can feel more lively performance from the same V6.

The Mark X has its suspensions set very stiff, not only by Japanese standard but also in relation to Lexus GS. With the electronic damping at Normal mode, the Mark X already rides firmly and resists body roll very well, but it fails to filter the shocks from small irregularities on the road, resulting in a fair amount of harshness and noise. This is a common problem for many air suspensions, but Mark X did not employ sufficient measures to filter the noise and harshness from the cabin. If you change the damping to Sport mode, you will find even harder ride but no decisive improvement in the already fine body control.

The electric power steering is not very feelsome, but it is quick and precise. The Mark X displays so much less understeer than its predecessor, but it is not tuned for power slide either. Buy a European executive car if you love driving excitement. Or if you insist Japanese car, wait for the forthcoming Lexus IS.

The Mark X shares most components with Lexus GS. However, the lower grade equipment and the availability of 2.5-litre engine allow it to be priced lower in the domestic market. It will be seen as a cheaper and rawer alternative to the Lexus. Nevertheless, in an increasingly open domestic market, its future is still a factor X.

Last edited by Lexwang07; 03-25-06 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-25-06, 09:34 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like they should bring that model to america, very easy on the eyes
Old 03-25-06, 10:45 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

The rear end looks like the new Camry and I agree that the front is reminiscent of a GS. Oh yeah by the way I just hit a thousand posts. It took me awhile.

Last edited by Trexus; 03-26-06 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-25-06, 11:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the posts!

The Mark X looks nice, but it's no Lexus even if it is very close.
Old 03-25-06, 11:37 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Nice pics Lexwang, that Toyota looks great and would kill here in the states. Nice smooth design. Its like as if the GS and ES had a baby.

Happy 1M Trexus, I'm still trying to get these damn training wheels off.
Old 03-26-06, 01:51 AM
soarer1023
Lead Lap

wow, i haven't here that name for a long time, but i like the older Mark better, one if those that equipped with a 1jz, that thing is sweet.
Old 03-26-06, 02:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Nice pics Lexwang, that Toyota looks great and would kill here in the states. Nice smooth design. Its like as if the GS and ES had a baby.

Happy 1M Trexus, I'm still trying to get these damn training wheels off.
except that baby was born before parents - mark x debuted in 2004 actually.
Name X comes from X frame - chassis support below the car, which goes from one end of car to another (X), for additional stiffness of the chasis.
Old 03-26-06, 03:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

ehh...never really liked the MarkX. Looks too wierd to me. But I do like that interior. Nice use of wood. If I recall correctly, the MarkX had some nice track lighting inside as well.
Old 03-27-06, 12:52 AM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this thing should replace toyota avalon in america...
Old 03-27-06, 05:35 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kyle3481
this thing should replace toyota avalon in america...
Word!!
Old 03-27-06, 09:09 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Word!!
Not too sure about that would be nice in america i guess they would call it a cressida since that is what a mark 2 was anyway or maybe they can use the sport suspension on the GS and make a sport package gs.