Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Ford Explorer review

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Default 2006 Ford Explorer review

I'm considering getting an SUV and decided to check out the 2006 Ford Explorer at my local HUGE Ford dealer.

On a Lexus board like CL you may instantly be wondering why I'm not checking out Lexus SUVs! Well, a couple of reasons - first, I've previously owned an RX300 so I know what that's all about, and I've already driven the RX330, GX470, LX470, and even RX400h, so I know about those guys, plus I was wondering if I could spend LESS and was curious as to what I'd get.

Ford knows it's in the fight for its life with competitors on all sides. It appears to be FINALLY stepping up to the realities that competitors like Toyota have been making more reliable, more refined, and more aesthetically pleasing vehicles. And some of Ford's latest vehicles are definitely a big step in the right direction. Their first step was the new style F-150 truck, which was WORLDS better than the older one - so good, my wife bought one. We got it because we felt the Chevys and Dodges seemed ugly and cheap to us, and the Titan felt CHEAP, yes compared to the F-150. The Tundra then (not the new one just announced) just didn't play as the towing capacity is so weak.

Onto the Explorer...

The Explorer CREATED the SUV segment, but after several years of only minor changes it had become VERY out of date. Several years back they finally dumped the 50 year old front suspension for struts which was a start. For 2006 Ford has made a BUNCH of changes. Starting with a much more rigid frame, more sound deadening material, improved engines and power, a 6 speed auto with the V8, and all new interior trim and exterior design. It still has a family resemblence to prior Explorers but the details are all upgraded.

Explorer comes in 4 trim levels: XLS (basic, signified by grey plastic grill, grey bumpers, no fog lights), XLT (signified by chrome bar grill and grey bumpers), Eddie Bauer (unique chrome grill with 'nostrils' either side of bars, and two tone trim - fenders, bumpers in tan, and two tone seating), and top of the line Limited (chrome bar grill, body colored bumpers/trim, much more standard features level).

Explorer comes in several drive train variants: 4x2 (RWD), 4x4, and either a 4.0L V6 with 5 speed auto or a 4.6L V8 with 6 speed auto.

Explorer offers 3 seating configurations - 5 seat, 6 seat, and 7 seat. The 5 seat is front buckets, and second row 3 seat bench. The 6 seat has front and second row buckets and third row small bench. The 7 seat is just the 5 seat configuration with the third row bench. The third row can be had with or without power fold-away option. I had no interest in the 3rd row seat so I didn't check it out too much.

I test drove a V6 Limited and a V8 Eddie Bauer (the latter because I wanted to try the V8 - I didn't care about the trim level).

Both V6 and V8 vehicles have very quiet drivetrains. The new design details work to eliminate any wind noise too, giving it "Lexus-like" levels of quiet. The V8 Eddie Bauer one had different wheels/tires and the tire noise was higher and because the drivetrain is so quiet that tire noise was noticeable.

Despite the comfortable suspension, I still felt the underlying truck frame with uneven road bumps coming through a bit more than I would like. It's no LS430! It's more like the LX470 in feel. The GX470 is WAY more comfortable on road than the LX470 in my view, but the LX is more capable off road.

The V6 model seemed to have a bit more body roll than the V8 one - I didn't check to see if they had different wheel sizes, but I think they both had 17s so they should have been similar. The Limited has available 18s. One fork right I took at the last second when the sales guy reminded me to turn showed the Eddie Bauer V8 model to be quite controlled in an abrupt turn at some speed.

I was annoyed the Explorer doesn't have telescoping steering wheel, only height adjustment. Seat travel is GIGANTIC however, with so much rearward movement of the seat that I don't need to go all the way back despite being 6'3" with long legs vs. torso ratio.

The leather was decent, a little better than the more 'rugged' leather in the F-150 we have.

The main speedo/tach guages are spaced a bit further apart than I like with a little information LED panel in between, but everything is still easily visible through the steering wheel. The Limited has full controls (audio, climate, cruise) on the steering wheel which is nice.

The throttle response on the V6 is 'aggressive' from a start or very low speed, which took a bit of getting used to. It may be designed to make the vehicle feel like it's got more power than it has. When I tried acceleration while already going about 40mph, the response was fairly anemic.

The throttle response on the V8 was just right, smooth take-off, and adequate responsiveness at speed, probably somewhat attributable to the extra cog in the 6 speed auto.

The whole experience, especially with the V8, is pretty refined - quiet, nice ride, nice progressive brakes, improved quieter climate control.

The plastic on the steering wheel center, and some of the dash surfaces seem a bit 'harder' than I would like, say compared to Toyota/Lexus plastics, but they're not bad.

Ford finally offers a modern DVD based navigation system now for 2006 (compared to the junk CD system they used to offer), designed by Pioneer. They didn't have an Explorer with nav so I tried it out on a Ford Five Hundred Limited (just sitting in the car in the lot). The nav is quite nice, with basically the same features as a Lexus nav, and it's WAY faster than my older hard drive system in my 2000 GS. Apparently unique to this new Ford/Pioneer system is that it will announce (SAY) upcoming street names, which is pretty neat. I didn't get to test it though. The system is touch screen and the screen isn't giant, but good enough, wide screen format like other newer systems. In my quick test I couldn't see how to 'turn on' points of interest on the map - I could only see how to search for one for a destination. Maybe it's possible, I don't know. Excuse the long review of the nav system, it's important to me - hey I get lost easily.

Exterior colors for the Explorer were pretty nice, with 3 or 4 shades of gray, a VERY nice metallic 'cherry red', black, white, and a nice blue. The paint jobs looked EXCELLENT.

Sticker prices on the models I saw on the lot ranged from about $30K-$40K.

In conclusion - the new 2006 Explorer IS a big improvement over the previous generation with big strides in refinement and apparent quality. You still know it has a truck underpinning though unlike car based SUVs like the very 'friendly' RX330.

Thanks for reading.

Oh, and will I get one? Maybe... I also looked at a couple of other vehicles.
Old 02-20-06, 08:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I've just read the InterntAutoGuide's review (thanks mmarshall for the link), and it seems to concur with my review.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/rev...006/index.html
Old 02-20-06, 09:05 PM
biggimp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ford has always had a special place in my heart, mostly because my dad was a ford mechanic... what can i say, some cars they hit the nail on the head, some they miss completely.
Old 02-21-06, 04:47 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding value for your money you can't beat a Ford truck. Shame they didn't put the same effort into their cars.
Old 02-21-06, 05:14 PM
LexFather

Great write up Bit! Yeah, I like the touched up looks too. And this is another Ford with a damn good interior. I am sure they will continue to sell them in droves.

I guess wait for the rebate thought?

Old 02-21-06, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Good write-up, bit. If you're ready for a new vehicle, you're doing your homework.

Couple of comments:

First, the new Explorer either has now or will very shortly get ( check with Ford ) the Volvo XC90-derived Roll Stability Control system, which takes SUV safety levels to new highs by not only correcting for oversteer and understeer like conventional stability systems but, through additional roll and center-of-gravity G-sensors, for excessive or dangerous body roll angles as well. Ford ( who owns Volvo, of course ) right now has the rights to this technology.

Second, the Explorer by no means has the worst SUV ride on the market but in any body-on-frame or truck-based design like this, you cannot expect a luxury-car ride even with a fairly soft chassis...to some extent you're going to feel the bumps. Of all the truck-based SUV's, the Cadillac Escalade probably has the smoothest ride....it is close to but not quite that of a luxury car.

Third.....a suggestion. If you like the basic Explorer platform, take a look at the Mercury Mountaineer.....or the Lincoln Aviator if you can afford to really splurge. The reason I suggest the Mountaineer is that in many ways they are twins, but the Mercury adds a couple of little extra touches. In fact, even with the Mountaineer's slight extra list price it MIGHT actually go out the door cheaper than an Explorer because Ford dealers have less reason to deal or discount...the Explorer sells in huge numbers ( always has ). Mercury dealers have to work a little harder to find customers for the Mountaineer....thus the likelihood of better deals.

The Aviator, of course, will cost more but the interior on the new upcoming Aviator is stunning...as are just about all of the new Lincoln interiors IMO.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-21-06 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-21-06, 06:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Great write up and it is great to drive and RX and then compare with other vehicles.

I have had the opportunity to drive the Explorers, both V6 and V8, on the road and at my track, and the V8 has loads of power. When I was looking at SUVs in the mid 90s before the RX300 came out I took a look at the Explorer and the Grand Cherokee, with the Jeep a little ahead in my view.
Old 02-21-06, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good write-up, bit. If you're ready for a new vehicle, you're doing your homework.

Couple of comments:

First, the new Explorer either has now or will very shortly get ( check with Ford ) the Volvo XC90-derived Roll Stability Control system, which takes SUV safety levels to new highs by not only correcting for oversteer and understeer like conventional stability systems but, through additional roll and center-of-gravity G-sensors, for excessive or dangerous body roll angles as well. Ford ( who owns Volvo, of course ) right now has the rights to this technology.
Thanks, and yes, all new Explorers have RSC.

Third.....a suggestion. If you like the basic Explorer platform, take a look at the Mercury Mountaineer.....or the Lincoln Aviator if you can afford to really splurge. The reason I suggest the Mountaineer is that in many ways they are twins, but the Mercury adds a couple of little extra touches. In fact, even with the Mountaineer's slight extra list price it MIGHT actually go out the door cheaper than an Explorer because Ford dealers have less reason to deal or discount...the Explorer sells in huge numbers ( always has ). Mercury dealers have to work a little harder to find customers for the Mountaineer....thus the likelihood of better deals.

The Aviator, of course, will cost more but the interior on the new upcoming Aviator is stunning...as are just about all of the new Lincoln interiors IMO.
Good suggestion! Thanks.