Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Line lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 09:41 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Line lock

I was just wondering, any CL members here got a line lock on their Lexus?

Also, quite a while ago I heard that if you stand on the brake pedal as hard as you can, it's easier to break the rear tires loose. Is there any truth to this? I've experimented a bit in various cars and it didn't seem to make that much of a difference.
Old 02-17-06, 01:32 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Line locks allow you to burn up the tires and not step on the brakes.... they're cheap and easy to install, $100.00 +/-

used for drag cars to warm up the tires....other people use it to front on city streets
Old 02-17-06, 01:46 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. Line locks "lock" the front brakes only to allow the rears to spin freely.

Falcon, what you are referring to is "power braking" or "brake torquing". You don't need to depress the pedal as hard as possible though. Just hold firm pressure on the brake pedal, then begin applying throttle. Don't necessarily mash the pedal to the floor, but don't baby it either. Mind you, this pretty much only works on RWD cars with ample torque to over-power the rear brakes.

Like Emerald said, this is predominantly used in drag racing to heat up the rear tires. But if you drag race, you'll know that this really only works with racing or drag tires. When you do this with a street tire it brings oils in the rubber to the surface, effectively decreasing traction at the line.
Old 02-17-06, 02:44 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, I've seen 2 vehicles so far with line locks. It's also possible to have a setup that locks only the rear brakes. I didn't realize they were that cheap to install, however. But I beleive you still need to apply the brakes, whilst holding down the button on the line lock setup to just lock up the fronts.

Mkorsu, I'm actually a left foot braker (provided the car's an automatic). I have a habit of brake torquing (to rise the engine rpm) at times when quicker pick up is needed, but have done quite a number of brake stands/power braking on various RWD vehicles. Vehicles with rear drum brakes tend to break loose quicker than those with disc brakes. I personally just apply the brakes as far as the pedal goes without pressing down real hard, but somebody was telling me that doing so would cause more hydraulic fluid to flow to the front brakes, thereby reducing the wear on the rear. I was wondering if there was actually any truth to this theory.
I think the best thing about line lock is that your rear brakes don't wear out prematurely when you do power brake and probably take a bit of load off the transmission.