Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What would you do?
Trade in the GS3 and get the FX45! Wooo hoo!
62.16%
Infiniti sucks, stick with the Lexus! What are you thinking?!?
37.84%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Trade in GS3 for FX45?? What should I do!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 09:56 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trade in GS3 for FX45?? What should I do!??

So I've been attracted to the Infiniti FX45. Share your thoughts... what should I do??

The basic stats: v8, 315hp, 329 ft/lb torque, 20 inch wheelss and it's still soft over the big bumps.

If you're not familiar with it - here's a review under the photo. I love the color - it reminds me of the range rover sport.

Twenty-inch aluminum wheels, bulging fenders, squinted projector beam headlamps, and a coupe-like profile make the FX45 stand out on the highway. It comes from as far into the 21st Century as the similar-looking Nissan Murano, but signals sports car heritage with a long hood and body balanced towards the rear wheels. LED taillights, a rear spoiler, and dual chrome exhaust outlets are not what you’d expect to find on an SUV.

Inside, four people ride in complete luxury, but the driver enjoys an experience that is on par with its cousin, the Z. A tight rack and pinion steering system prompts the four-wheel independent suspension to leap through corners with virtually no body roll. Four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes halt the fun quickly if the unexpected jumps out. A thick leather-wrapped power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, aluminum pedals, and heated sport seats make all the mechanical commanding pure joy. Safety is enhanced with dual front, side, and side curtain airbags. A tire monitoring system is standard.

Yet, stomping into the 4.5-litre V8 engine (from the flagship Q45 sedan) with its 315 horsepower and 329 lb.-ft. of torque is what really separates the FX45 from pretenders. The only available transmission is a precision-smooth five-speed automatic. An electronic all-wheel-drive system puts all of the power to the pavement without waste. Electronic stability control and traction control step in if the mechanical bits and pieces lose their composure. With fuel efficiency ratings of 15/19 mpg city/highway, drivers will appreciate the 23.8-gallon fuel tank.

Like all Infinitis, the FX is loaded. Dual zone automatic climate control, a 300-watt Bose audio system, in-dash navigation, a rear back-up camera, intelligent cruise control, bazillion-way power seats, power glass sunroof, auto up/down windows, and etched aluminum interior trim are all one could ask for. Unlike in some vehicles, rear seat passengers feel like kings with their high-riding leather thrones, air vents, and available DVD player. It didn’t take long to get used to keyless entry and starting – put the key in your pocket and leave it there. The car automatically recognizes you, unlocks the doors, and allows the engine to start.

Just in case you really want to use the FX45 as an SUV, you should know it is capable. This afternoon, I watched 4x4 trucks slip and slide on a mud hill behind my house. Just for fun, I took the FX on the same trail to see how it would do. Although I wouldn’t recommend tackling Jeep trails with the FX’s high-performance street tires, it had no problem climbing up the slick hill and out of the muddy field. Snow would pose no problem.

SUVs started out as wagon versions of pickup trucks, but as more and more drivers discovered their flaws in everyday driving, the species has slowly evolved back into passenger cars. Apparently, Infiniti didn’t know when to stop because it evolved its mid-size SUV into a pure all-out sports car. Who can argue with the result? With a price as tested of $53,510, well-heeled competition includes the Cadillac SRX V8, BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, and Mercedes ML.
Old 02-13-06, 10:45 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an FX35 in our family and we love it. Just know that the trunk space does suck compare to the GS. When we travel to the airport we usually end up taking my car because it can carry more luggage than the FX. It is basically a glorified station wagon. I love everything else about it. I love the feel of it on the road, and the sound is worth every dime. Just make sure you get the SatNav package instead of being impatient, like my dad was, and end up regretting it!

***EDIT***OH!!! Before I forget to mention this. if you decide NOT to get the SatNav, the radio set up they use SUCKS. Their head unit is so damn complicated. When you want to change a station you just cant hit the station that you preset it to... you have to make sure that the radio is in the correct station mode (A, B, or C) before you can pick which station you want. So, for example, when I want to listen to 93.3, if the radio isn't set to the station mode that 93.3 is under, then I have to flip through the different modes to find it, or just change the station by hand. Once you start playing with it, you'll get used to it... but when you are learning the system, it is GOD AWFUL!

Last edited by Stage3; 02-13-06 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 02:03 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

if u have to get an suv y not an rx400h? but for me the only SUVs that's appealing to me is the porsche cayenne and the land rover rr and rr sport.
Old 02-14-06, 03:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
20 inch wheelss and it's still soft over the big bumps.
You consider the ride on this vehicle SOFT? The FX45, more so than the FX35, is notorious for pounding your kidneys...........even by SUV standards....................mainly because the suspension and chassis is excessively sport-oriented. That, combined with the rather cheap-looking ( in my opinion ) interior, would be a deal-breaker for me...I'm not terribly sport-oriented myself. I do agree, however, that the copper color is nice. ( Nissan and Infiniti feature that color on a number of their models )
But.....if you like the styling and interior ( I don't ) , can afford to spend that kind of money, and can tolerate the ride, then fine, go for it. One potential selling point is that unlike some other recently introduced Nissan and Infiniti products, the FX35 and 45 have a fairly good reliability record.....MUCH better than big brothers Armada and QX56. Another potentially good selling point is that the FX45 offers much of the handling and dynamics of the Porsche Cayenne for less money. Of course it will not equal the $90,000-plus Cayenne Turbo's power but it should easily keep up with the non-turbo model.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-06 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-14-06, 04:32 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the copper-like finish on the outside of the FX, but I understand it is still only available with the retina-searing "basketball orange" interior. That's just TOO much!
Old 02-14-06, 05:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I actually like that orange interior, looks very sporty & unique, & I think some reported it's more durable than the black leather interior ? (which is not very durable).

Also, I think the new 06's interior is upgraded & not like that shown in the pic above. I' ve always like the aggressive & unusual styling of the FX. If I have to buy an SUV, the FX45 will be my first choice. Yes the ride of the FX45 with it's 20" wheels are on the rough side, but with Infiniti, you give up ride quality for sporty handling. I think they revised the suspension for the 06 too, so there might be a slight improvement there.(I haven't driven the 06 yet ). It's an SUV that's really for someone who don't really need an SUV , because of the limited cargo space, except maybe for the big rear hatch door for the occasional wide box. You're probably better off with a station wagon for cargo space.

The RX350/400h is very nice & in many ways a "better " SUV than the FX for what luxury SUV crossover should be designed for, but it's not for me (yet).
Old 02-14-06, 12:58 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would trade a 2nd gen GS3 for an FX45 any day That truck is a rolling concept. It gets ooohs and ahhs every where it rolls in NYC. The sound of the mufflers on that truck when its rollin is amazing
Old 02-14-06, 01:45 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I love the copper-like finish on the outside of the FX, but I understand it is still only available with the retina-searing "basketball orange" interior. That's just TOO much!
LOL this isn't the Ford Model-T and only available in one color. Trust me that there are a variety of colors available.

There was a thread recently in the RX forum here at ClubLexus which discussed about the pros and cons of the FX - definitely worth a search and read.

I love my GS and I love my FX. The GS is an amazing car - smooth, powerful, quiet, luxurious, everything you want in a luxury sedan. However, I think it's like watching the mechanics of a watch. Engineering brilliance coupled with amazing precision, but ultimately it's all very sterile and nothing that stirs the soul.

There is something about the FX, the exhaust sound, the renegade exterior styling, the 20" wheels, the feel of acceleration underfoot, that makes you want to drive it and never get out. Yes, there are some questionable design cues, the interior materials could definitely be better but overall I find it to be a blast to own and to drive.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-14-06, 01:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what about M45 Sport
Old 02-14-06, 03:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
New interior, much nicer than the current one. IIRC, these are due in dealers any day now. I like my FX, I would still buy one over an RX. Not sure I'll buy another though. no problems, I'm just not ga ga. I need a tad more room so I'll likely look to the new X5 or possibly the Audi Q7

The former FX35 and 45's had, I thought, rather cheap interiors but I have to agree with genearch here.....this new interior does seem to be a step or two up from the old ones...especially on the console.
Old 02-14-06, 04:04 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

Over on g35driver, they're saying the new body FX is coming out this year (2007 model). Might be best to do some research and make sure you're not picking up a last model year vehicle that will depreciate like no other once the newer models hit the market.
Old 02-14-06, 04:10 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

FX is nice, cannot go wrong with one. I like the Cayenne as well but their reliability history is deplorable as best.
Old 02-14-06, 04:17 PM
LexFather

Well even though the GS3 has a smaller engine, this is a trade down. The FX is a RX competitor, so more of an ES class than GS class.
Though, since they can't give away the things, you can get a very big discount on the FX45, which makes it more appealing.

Its 350Z based, FM platform, so its a very sporty for a SUV. It also almost defeats the purpose as cargo room is nowhere near abundant.

IMO, the RX 400h is just the better buy. No, you can't take the slalom at 70mph like in teh FX but why would u even want to do that in ANY SUV? RX 400h=equivilent acceleration, double the gas mileage, the prestige of a Lexus and the conversation piece of owning a hybrid. The RX 400h is also more luxurious more reliable (though the FX is too) and just forward in thinking and execution.

I will give the FX the "shock" value. I won't get into its looks from my perspective but 2 things it has going for it over the RX
1. Its clearly more adventerous styling wise.
2. There are much less of them on the road

The FX and 2GS3 are pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum, may I suggest a corvette in red

Old 02-14-06, 06:52 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Being someone that has been able to drive both the FX and the RX... I would stay clear of the RX... The RX steers like a Camry. It has a very "Loosey Goosey" steering setup and you travel a LOT of real estate with very low efforts at high speed (70+). The FX has more of a sports (Heavier) steering setup up this reducing the amount of movement while moving faster. After having the GS and the FX, as well as being afforded the opportunity to drive TRUE sports cars (Porsche's and some BMW M's), heavy steering is the way to go.
Old 02-14-06, 07:59 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You consider the ride on this vehicle SOFT? The FX45, more so than the FX35, is notorious for pounding your kidneys...........even by SUV standards....................mainly because the suspension and chassis is excessively sport-oriented. That, combined with the rather cheap-looking ( in my opinion ) interior, would be a deal-breaker for me...I'm not terribly sport-oriented myself. I do agree, however, that the copper color is nice. ( Nissan and Infiniti feature that color on a number of their models )
But.....if you like the styling and interior ( I don't ) , can afford to spend that kind of money, and can tolerate the ride, then fine, go for it. One potential selling point is that unlike some other recently introduced Nissan and Infiniti products, the FX35 and 45 have a fairly good reliability record.....MUCH better than big brothers Armada and QX56. Another potentially good selling point is that the FX45 offers much of the handling and dynamics of the Porsche Cayenne for less money. Of course it will not equal the $90,000-plus Cayenne Turbo's power but it should easily keep up with the non-turbo model.

This was on the first model year. They fixed this on the next.

Research is your friend.

Quick Reply: Trade in GS3 for FX45?? What should I do!??