Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Advice on a trade

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 09:32 AM
gstois
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a trade

I know this is slightly off topic, but this seems to be a more active board than the GX board.

Having enjoyed the nav, bluetooth and back-up camera on my new IS, am considering a GX for my wife. It looks like I can get the GX for roughly $500 over invoice, without considering my trade.

Any rules of thumb on how to value the my trade-in (an '03 Tahoe)? Also, any thoughts on the $500-over pricing. Is this a good price considering the December-to-remember event plus demand for the car?
Old 11-23-05, 11:33 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just bought the GX and traded in an '01 RX.

$500 over invoice right now is the norm...shoot for invoice or for $500 over invoice with all option including KDSS.

On the trade-in...look at KBB.com and price your car as trade-in in good condition (not excellent)...basically that is what you can shoot for but expect anywhere from a few thousand to a few hundred less in reality. I traded mine in at $500 under the KBB quote but got them to give the car to me at invoice...hence netting out the difference.

Most of these cars they will sell at auction and just want to get their money back.

Good luck
Old 11-23-05, 12:00 PM
gstois
Rookie

Thanks. Fight on!
Old 11-23-05, 01:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here is KBB's website.....just a few clicks of the mouse and you can get trade-in, private party, and retail values for your Tahoe. I'll also give you NADA's to compare. NADA doesn't break down the 3 categories like KBB, but you can roughly compare the two figures.

http://www.kbb.com/

http://www.nadaguides.com/autohome2....wPr=0&wPg=2111

Since you asked for advice, here's a little of it: Unless you want a truck-based body-on-frame SUV that has off-road and towing capability ( the GX470 is a redone Toyota 4-Runner Limited ) I would look first at an RX330, especially if it is for your wife....she will probably want a vehicle like the RX that rides, steers, and handles better than the GX, which is more firm-riding, high, narrow, and tipsy in the turns. Both vehicles have a plush interior, so that shouldn't make much of a difference.
Old 11-23-05, 01:36 PM
gstois
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here is KBB's website.....just a few clicks of the mouse and you can get trade-in, private party, and retail values for your Tahoe. I'll also give you NADA's to compare. NADA doesn't break down the 3 categories like KBB, but you can roughly compare the two figures.

Since you asked for advice, here's a little of it: Unless you want a truck-based body-on-frame SUV that has off-road and towing capability ( the GX470 is a redone Toyota 4-Runner Limited ) I would look first at an RX330, especially if it is for your wife....she will probably want a vehicle like the RX that rides, steers, and handles better than the GX, which is more firm-riding, high, narrow, and tipsy in the turns. Both vehicles have a plush interior, so that shouldn't make much of a difference.

Thanks. I did run the blue book on my car. After much talk about how soft the market is for Tahoes, it looks like I have them to within a few hunder dollars of trade-in value. I bought the darn car for $10k off the sticker, so I can buy some of the talk that the market is soft for them.

As for the GX/RX issue, it mainly comes down to size. we do occasionally have the need for a 3rd row seat, which is not available in the RX.
Old 11-23-05, 01:38 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

The RX330 would be an excellent choice
Old 11-25-05, 08:38 PM
the lndr
Driver

did u try edmunds.com? also I used to be a finance manager for Toyota and lock the price on your car before u talk trade. dont let let them ask u what payment do you feel comfortable with some will change the numbers to make more money good luck!
Old 11-27-05, 03:59 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I've found that the trade-in values out here in the midwest are closer to KBB with poor condition selected (aka black book I believe).

My 2003 GS - 100% loaded with 32K on it was quoted $29K for instance on a trade - and that was a firm number.
Old 11-27-05, 04:49 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

The retail value of my car with options selected comes to just under 10K... which is actually quite a bit of money for a 13 year old car... especially considering I paid 12 for it 4 years ago. Virtually no depreciation anymore it would seem.
Old 11-27-05, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I've found that the trade-in values out here in the midwest are closer to KBB with poor condition selected (aka black book I believe).

My 2003 GS - 100% loaded with 32K on it was quoted $29K for instance on a trade - and that was a firm number.
Depends on what you are trading in. Many people in Midwestern states...especially the more rural and small-town areas......have what I consider a foolish and built-in hostility towards buying a "foreign" car. They somehow consider it " Un-American ". I've been through this nonsense more than once some of with my Indiana relatives. Trying to convince them otherwise is like pulling teeth....never mind the fact that Subarus are built right there in Lafayette with American labor and parts. So..as a result, there is not a huge demand for non-domestic nameplates in that part of the country.......and naturally both trade-in and retail values of those vehicles are going to be less than, say, in SoCal, New England, or my own DC area, where diversity in vehicles is a fact of life.