Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Good News, Europeans.....Solstice and Sky spawn a new brother.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Good News, Europeans.....Solstice and Sky spawn a new brother.

Well, it looks like the highly-regarded platform that produced the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky is going to get another 2-seat roadster....from Vauxhall, one of GM's European subsidiaries.........the Lightning.

http://vauxhall.co.uk/futureModels/VXLightning.jhtml

This is good news for you Europeans, even though you already have a number of small 2-seat roadsters available there that we don't get here in the U.S....from companies like Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Bertone, Lancia, etc.....and, of course, the ubiquitous Miata. While you already have much more of a choice than we do, one more, of course, sure won't hurt....and you guys already know that those Italian roadsters are far from reliable.
While I myself cannot personally vouch for the vehicles on the Solstice / Sky / Lightning platform as I have not test-driven one yet, ( and my oversized frame, like with the Miata, will probably be a shoehorn fit ) everything I have read about them gives them very high marks from the auto critics....we have done entire threads here at CL on them and the Miata competition. Many of the auto people who have done write-ups on them have rated them higher than even the new redesigned 2006 Miata in several areas......though there is no denying that the Miata still has what is perhaps the world's easiest manual convertible top to use.

I can see only one possible snag on this deal....and not with the car itself, but the name. Ford already uses the name Lightning for its line of SVT-Modified high-performance trucks, which could touch off a legal battle between Ford and GM.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-11-05 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-11-05, 06:23 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bit alfa romeo up in the frontal area dont' you think...
Old 10-11-05, 06:40 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't this concept shown some time ago? I seem to recall seeing some pictures. Anyway, looks good. Better than the Solstice, not sure wrt the Sky.
Old 10-11-05, 07:35 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will be reduced to a 2.0 liter, a must have size in Europe as its government mandated for tax breaks.

Its been reported its actually going to get a 2.0 liter supercharged engine with only 210 hp.

Spells disaster for the Solstice / Sky if GM decides not to go wih a Turbo and instead puts a SC that only nets you 3 5 more hp than the base car.
Old 10-11-05, 08:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Damn. I dont know which I like more anymore. They all look great. But, I really hope this is it with this roadster. They do NOT need to make more copies for each brand. I really hate when GM does that. They need more exclusive cars for each brand. But I understand the reasoning. Save money.

Last edited by magneto112; 10-11-05 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-11-05, 08:44 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought the sky came about because vauxhall decided not to develop it further in europe and sent it over to the states? so... why would that then turn around and make a car for vauxhall if vauxhall originally designed it anyway? do i make any sense anymore? lol
Old 10-12-05, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Wasn't this concept shown some time ago? I seem to recall seeing some pictures. Anyway, looks good. Better than the Solstice, not sure wrt the Sky.
I think part of the reason for the Lightning is that availability in Europe of the Solstice and Sky will be uncertain.

Vauxhall did show off a concept a little while ago but production was uncertain. It still is not 100% guaranteed, but most of the data I've seen seems to give it a green light now in Europe.

Quality-wise, this car will probably not be quite the Miata's equal but should be FAR better than the Italian roadsters.