Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Engine Tune-Up, How Often?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 06:30 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Engine Tune-Up, How Often?

How often do you guys get a basic tune-up for your cars? I have a 94 SC and lately it's been feeling kinda slow, but it might just be me. I was just wondering how often, and where/costs? i.e. What would Pep Boys charge for a tuneup vs. what would a Toyota Dealer charge for a decent tune up?

I've got 95.5k right now, and a full engine service including a belt change was done at 81k. Do you think maybe just a simple air filter replacement would help me out?

edit* damn, I was browsing car chat and had a brain fart when I clicked New thread, mods please move to Maintenance, thanks!

edit2* I just checked my service records, and it turns out that the only major service that was done at 81k was a timing belt change and a water pump change. The car was purchased by us with 65k, and for whatever reason, I CANT FIND ANY RECORDS BEFORE THEN!!! All I can think is that the previous owner did everything DIY, but that's unlikely. Don't ask me why this car was bought without full service records, I didn't buy it at that time I have no idea if the spark plugs have been changed or not, or if any lines have been changed. All this I think would fall under the 100k service which I am rapidly approaching (new lines, new plugs, new caps and rotors, etc.). I don't see any record of anything being done in regards to this stuff since 65k miles.

Last edited by np20412; 07-19-05 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-19-05, 08:21 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexSC888
How often do you guys get a basic tune-up for your cars? I have a 94 SC and lately it's been feeling kinda slow, but it might just be me. I was just wondering how often, and where/costs? i.e. What would Pep Boys charge for a tuneup vs. what would a Toyota Dealer charge for a decent tune up?

I've got 95.5k right now, and a full engine service including a belt change was done at 81k. Do you think maybe just a simple air filter replacement would help me out?

edit* damn, I was browsing car chat and had a brain fart when I clicked New thread, mods please move to Maintenance, thanks!

edit2* I just checked my service records, and it turns out that the only major service that was done at 81k was a timing belt change and a water pump change. The car was purchased by us with 65k, and for whatever reason, I CANT FIND ANY RECORDS BEFORE THEN!!! All I can think is that the previous owner did everything DIY, but that's unlikely. Don't ask me why this car was bought without full service records, I didn't buy it at that time I have no idea if the spark plugs have been changed or not, or if any lines have been changed. All this I think would fall under the 100k service which I am rapidly approaching (new lines, new plugs, new caps and rotors, etc.). I don't see any record of anything being done in regards to this stuff since 65k miles.
Open your front valve cover and look at spark plug number 1. Thall give you an idea, if in doubt do a tune up! it cant hurt..