Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Supra Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-05, 05:25 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra Poll

With all this talk of GMs demise and how Americans love Toyota. It looks as though Toyota has successfully become the american automobile company that americans had always wish for GM and Ford to be. Seeing that time has changed and the Japanese have put in their dues and prove that they can be a power player in the luxury and high performance game. Combine that with the fact that americans today are less racist when it comes to paying big money for a nice vehicles with a japanese name plate. Is america truly ready for a azzkicking high performance, high dollar, high profile japanese sportscar? Y'all already know what happended the last time the Japanese tried to enter that market segment with the MKIV and other sportscars like the RX7TT, 300ZXTT etc. The american public left them to collect cowebs at the dealerships and went to buy Vettes instead.

Times may have changed, but some people are still cautious. Recently Toyotas chief has hinted that americans may relatiate if GM does crumble, either he thinks Americans still hold grudges against a strong asian image or he's a racist. No matter what's really on the dudes mind, it would seem a Vette killing Supra replacement would not be a good idea at this time despite all y'all here saying Toyota should build one. But if Toyota does decide that it is the best time to built a Supra replacement and kick GM while it's down, do y'all think it'll be different this time? Seeing that everyone(especially the press) is knocking on GM hard, even the hardcore domestic fans aren't coming to GMs defense, has america finally changed? Or will americans take that as a sign that the Japanese are trying to retake over america since they couldn't do it with bombs and guns, they're now trying it with cars and give Toyota another taste of the 90s? Or will the american public welcome the new Supra as they have had enough of GMs/Fords fumbles and no F-body replacement? How about yourself personally? How many of y'all would consider buying a new Supra instead of an IS or BMW 330i, Shelby GT500 or whatever you were planning on before this? Here are the specs:

V8 MODEL
$39,000 base
4.6 Liter V8 powered(share with GS460,LS460, SC460)
400HP/360FT LB
7500rpm redline
3300Lb
52/48 weight distibution
0-60 in 4.6sec(poor traction)
12.7 Quarter mile
.98 lateral G
20city/31hwy(cyl deactivation in hwy mode)
6spd manual, with extra long 6th gear to match Vettes hwy mpg.
no automatics available
19"wheel/tires standard 285/30/19 back 255/35/19front
Topspeed - High enough
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
V6 MODEL
Base price $29,000
3.5 L V6 powered
7500rpm redline
315HP/285ft lb
3200lb
50/50 weight distribution
0-60 5sec
13.6 quarter mile
Same suspension as V8 model
6spd manual and optional auto
22city/31hwy Just like Avalon
18"wheel/tires standard 265/40/18 back 235/45/18front (19"optional)
Performance equal to current M3 but superior handling and MPG.

- 6cyl model designed to blow 350Z away. (Basically 2 door IS 350 with sportier suspension).
- Boxster like agility and handling response on par with EVO 8.
- Drivetrain sharing help keep price down just like nissan has done.
- V8 model equal or exceeds Vette performance with superior MPG.
- Both model are true 2 seaters, saves weight by getting rid of those useless backseats(insurance company were never fooled anyway) Space is better used for storage.

Bottom line, it's every bit as good as the new non Z06 C6 and 350Z, but built so much tighter with way more quality and refinement.

How bout it? Personally I like an alternative to the 350Z, so if the design is handsome with short overhangs and a muscular stance(ala 350Z) I'd probably go for a mildly loaded 32K Supra 6cyl. The 8K saved can be used for some V-TEC stickers and a twin turbo system good for 500HP.

Last edited by Celicamaro; 06-13-05 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-13-05, 05:44 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, where's the poll?

Not sure what your main point is, but I'm sure everybody here wants to see Supra back. And I don't think such a niche performance car will have any significat effect on the market share of either Toyota or the domestic brands anyway.
Old 06-13-05, 06:15 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
So, where's the poll?

Not sure what your main point is, but I'm sure everybody here wants to see Supra back. And I don't think such a niche performance car will have any significat effect on the market share of either Toyota or the domestic brands anyway.
Sorry....didn't set it up right.

Point is, many love to see Supra back, but how many will plunk down their hard earn cash for one to make it worth Toyotas time.
Old 06-13-05, 07:23 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

i'm right there with ya!! in fact, if the next supra isnt revived by the time i graduate from pharmacy school in 4 years, i'm gonna buy a 97 or 98 supra and rebuild the engine anyway...
Old 06-13-05, 08:09 PM
Onelove
Lead Lap

If it's not I6 or Turbo it's not for me. If I wanted a V8 I would get a Z06
Old 06-13-05, 08:10 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
i'm right there with ya!! in fact, if the next supra isnt revived by the time i graduate from pharmacy school in 4 years, i'm gonna buy a 97 or 98 supra and rebuild the engine anyway...
plus the waiting list of those things is going to be LONG...
Old 06-13-05, 11:40 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

$39,000 base, asskicking 400hp V-8 power where can i sign up at. Ahh it's just another dream. Please toyota bring back the almighty supraaaaa .
Old 06-14-05, 11:23 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

If they make it, I will buy it.

What I really want is a turbo, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards. If Nissan exported the S15 Silvia, I'd be driving one of those right now. Other than that, only a Supra (or maybe an IS) for me. The 350Z is gay, the GT-R will probably be out of my price range, and I just don't feel the 4-door STI or EVO. Not sure if a turbo RX-8 is coming?

American cars are getting better, but are still a non-issue for me. And I'm American.

Don't let me down, Toyota. Bring me my MkV.

Bryan <-- former owner of a '97 6-spd Supra.
Old 06-14-05, 11:36 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
I'm thinking about dropping the 1UZ from the LS400 into my mr2 turbo. They've already done supercharged V6 into mr2 already. 1UZ was specifically designed to be super compact. That thing fits the miata bay as if it came stock. PLus it's cheap to get that motor used. Not sure the tranny will fit tho.
Old 06-14-05, 12:26 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the reason the japanese sport cars fell out of favor has nothing to do with how americans feel about the people who made them. It had more to do with how much they cost what you got for that cost. The Rx7 cost over $40k and had reliability problems. In fact they all cost over $40k and only the supra was really reliable but it was reaching $50k. I think if they marketed it as a Lexus it could have survived. But a 50k Toyota? More than one Nissan mechanic told me the 300z was a $15k car with a $35K pricetag.
The current RX8 and 350Z prove it didn't have to end the way it did. The RX8 goes for $26K. The 350Z goes for around$30K and has 300hp. You can get it cheaper if you try hard. Taking inflation into account these are reasonable prices. Almost anyone can get into one. That's why the sportcar is coming back. Economics. Something the Japanese understand well....or is that a racist statement?
Old 06-14-05, 01:20 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i would take a V8 supra for 40K!
but i know it's not going to happen. i hate toyota for not bringing the supra back.
Old 06-14-05, 03:03 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reggiek
I think the reason the japanese sport cars fell out of favor has nothing to do with how americans feel about the people who made them. It had more to do with how much they cost what you got for that cost. The Rx7 cost over $40k and had reliability problems. In fact they all cost over $40k and only the supra was really reliable but it was reaching $50k. I think if they marketed it as a Lexus it could have survived. But a 50k Toyota? More than one Nissan mechanic told me the 300z was a $15k car with a $35K pricetag.
The current RX8 and 350Z prove it didn't have to end the way it did. The RX8 goes for $26K. The 350Z goes for around$30K and has 300hp. You can get it cheaper if you try hard. Taking inflation into account these are reasonable prices. Almost anyone can get into one. That's why the sportcar is coming back. Economics. Something the Japanese understand well....or is that a racist statement?
Economics got alot to do with it. But this is different. If they sell M3s for 32K, I'd buy it in a heart beat. I don't think people complain who made the vehicle when it's cheap. When price and image becomes a factor, then it's a different ballgame. SupraTT, RX7TT, 300ZXTT all compete in the prestige and power game, camries and Civics don't. This explains how an entrey level 3 series or Audi can cost almost as much as a SupraTT but don't offer anywhere near it's reliability or performance, yet americans can't get enough of them. Same with Merc and to a certain extent the Vette.

If you look at what's happened in the past, the euros can pretty much sell whatever they want at any price with few flops. Been getting away with that for decades. But vehicles like rx8, 350z, evo8, STI all sell only cuz they are cheaper than most SUV/ full size trucks and loaded entry level BMWs with less than 200HP. The EVO and STI offer at least M3 and non turbo 911 performances and superior reliablity and more economical long term ownership, not to mention offering great modification foundations. These two vehicle also have more street credibiility than M3, yet they have to sell for almost 20K less or it won't leave dealership lots. This only happens here in america, elsewhere, people are willing to pay a ton of money for stock EVOs, STIs, SKYLINES. Obviously these vehicles are worth more than what they currently sell for here. The MKIV also proves that.

I remember the Euros were complaining that the japanese were dumping cars and not making any money when the LS400 and Q45 went on sale. The euros must also deemed the japanese vehicles to be worth more to protest like that. Enthusiast on both side of the pacific love the 300zx TT. So I find it hard to believe a few Nissan mechanic would dis the 300zx like that. If you look at how the motor was built, you'd swear it was a Toyota built motor. It's got oil squirters at the bottom of the block to cool the under side of the pistons during hard runs(just like the awesome 3s-gte in my mr2 turbo), cranks are forged, rods are beefy, ultra rigid block and other race inspire technology that would make domestic enthusiasts drool. It also has HICAS 4 wheel steering and current BMW like plastic on the interiors. Granted, every cars got their own share of problems. But saying a 300zx TT is a 15K with a 35K price tag sounds more like disgruntled employees IMO. If you look at the Stealth and 3000GT with the 6spd built by getrag, they have more problems than the 300zxTT. My friend from Thailand bought one for 50K, he said it's cheap cuz it would've cost him almost 200K in his home land for practically the same car due to their ridiculous tariff on imports. 3000GT/Stealth is all around an inferior vehicle to the Supra yet they continue to sell long after the SupraTT has been discontinue. Difference here is one has an american name tied to it.

The reason I brought the race issue is cuz Toyota's main dude also brought it up. Either he's wrong or he hasn't forgotten what america did to them back in their 80s when they try to build plants here to hire american workers. Americans were burning japanese vehicles in their front yards on national television to protest this. Even Sony had alot of the same issues when they purchase Columbia pictures. Alot people say it's because the Vettes and the euros have heritage that allow them to thrive while the japanese make sales suffered. But back in Japan, all the vehicles (mr2turbo, supraTT,RX7TT, 300ZXTT) that were discontinue here, all continue to sell well into the year 2000 before being discontinued. Many updates were even done to mr2 and rx7TT. On the other hand, Vettes don't sell very well at all in Japan, Vettes certainly got a longer heritage. So either the japanese only help their own and we help our own or Vettes heritage isn't a factor at all.

Personally I like to think Vettes performance is not on par with the JDM versions of those said vehicles above. Mr2 turbo over there run 13s stock while the US models only run 14.6 at best. Stock mr2 handling dynamic is superior to C4 vette of the same years. But more important, Chevy didn't bother making right hand drive Vettes, combine that with the extra tax owners have to pay for the extra displacement of the 5.7L and the crude shakes from the pushrod, poor built quality, cheap interior, poor ergonomics, and import tariff pretty much made not buying a Vette over a SupraTT a no brainer. Supra and the other japanease super cars don't have these issues against them here, just where they were made. Enthusiast will pay whatever price to get the car they like no matter who makes it, but is mainstream america ready to do the same?
Old 06-15-05, 10:18 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

only 4.6 sec 0-60? also, id rather see a turbo version than an NA V8... sure its good for power, but turbo is just more fun. i would love to see an MKV supra but just like any other car, it would have to be worth it... it depends on styling, driving fun, power, handling... i doubt it would handle better than the current M3... still a 40k kickass V8 would be pretty nice...
Old 06-16-05, 11:38 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dynasty SC
only 4.6 sec 0-60? also, id rather see a turbo version than an NA V8... sure its good for power, but turbo is just more fun. i would love to see an MKV supra but just like any other car, it would have to be worth it... it depends on styling, driving fun, power, handling... i doubt it would handle better than the current M3... still a 40k kickass V8 would be pretty nice...
4.6 is Traction limited. It's RWD.

A shared N/A V8 makes it easier to keep price down. You can always twinturbo charge it if 400 is not enough. It is a Toyotya V8 afterall. If it's overbuilt like the 1UZ in the LS400, boost away without worrying about block or internals coming apart. M3s handling ain't all that, too much body roll and poor steering feedback IMO for a hardcore sportscoupe. An MKIV is so much more stable with superior steering feedback IMO.