Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2005 Avalon Preview- official pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 07:31 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't forget......you guys aren't going to be young forever. There will come a time when many of you may want a car like this. Generally, the older people get, the softer the ride they want. I was an exception to the general rule myself. When I was young and growing up, I liked BOTH softly-sprung luxoboats AND stiffly-sprung muscle cars....still do today. I enjoyed driving them both....there was a time and place for each one.
I agree. I could very well be in the market for the Avalon sooner rather than later.

As for the spungy luxo-barges - a well-tuned suspension setup is often the first active safety measure that one employs in driving. I understand that many new luxury models have all sorts of electronic correction systems which can afford both safety and a plush ride. But older sponge-mobiles were just plain dangerous.

Some of you are lucky enough to have ABS and/or AWD to back that up.

M.
Old 01-02-05, 08:59 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

how long before this 280hp powerplant makes it way into all the other V6 sedans and is this the same engine thats gonna be shared with the new Lexus sedans, like the IS and GS3

as for that spongy sedan ride, I saw some guy who was speeding and got cut off, lock his caddie up and I've never seen the back end of a car go that high, you could have stuck the front of a camry in their and it would have cleared it, the car was pretty new looking so the severe nose dive and everything was real shocking and yeah I was rooting for a collision
Old 01-02-05, 11:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Stage3

looks SWEET!!! the shaved handles look ultra tight. so find some wheels that would look right at that angle and lets see what comes out.
umm, i dont like how the rear wheel and the tint came out but hey, it was only 5 mins, i MAY go back and redo this if i can find a higher res image.

the Wheels are Blitz Technospeed's RV. 2's if i rmbr right.
Old 01-02-05, 11:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by whipimpin
As for the spungy luxo-barges - a well-tuned suspension setup is often the first active safety measure that one employs in driving. But older sponge-mobiles were just plain dangerous.
M.
Yes and no. I drove a few of them myself. True....their relative lack of agility did not help any in avoiding obstacles or staying on the road in a sharp turn, but if and when they DID hit something, their long wheelbases (up to 130"), heavy weight (up to and over 5000 lbs), great width (up to 80"), large amount of sheet metal, and body-on-frame construction offered a LOT of protection.
And.....after a hard working day, they were COMFORTABLE. They didn't beat you up on the way home.
Old 01-03-05, 10:49 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK....I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I won't comment any more on the Avalon until I can see it and test-drive it in person. I KNOW the ES330 is a true luxury car. The Avalon will have to prove itself.....but maybe it will. Like I said...I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now.
The Avalon will be ES330 competition, objectively, considering only the vehicles.

Factor in Lexus service, a lower-pressure sales experience, and the Lexus brand prestige and I think it's clear exactly how the ES330 remains, and will remain, atop the Avalon in the entry-level luxury market.

M.
Old 01-03-05, 11:20 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whipimpin
The Avalon will be ES330 competition, objectively, considering only the vehicles.

Factor in Lexus service, a lower-pressure sales experience, and the Lexus brand prestige and I think it's clear exactly how the ES330 remains, and will remain, atop the Avalon in the entry-level luxury market.

M.
But also take into consideration their is no more brand loyalty and the value of your dollar, when I was buying my ES300 many people where cross shopping it with the Loaded Camry and the Avalon, some went Toyotas other went Lexus, just with my ES Lexus dropped the price to match the Camry.

My Toyota dealer is low pressure, might have to do with the line of people waiting to buy the same car you walk away from just like the Lexus dealer, Lexus service is good but many do not like the ridiculously high prices and the service, my Toyota dealer has better service prices, faster service and is just as nice as Lexus minus the mall like atmosphere although the food court is cool
Old 01-04-05, 11:56 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More Avalon Pics.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Avalon Preview- official pictures-av1.jpg  
Old 01-04-05, 11:58 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Another Pic 4 all
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Avalon Preview- official pictures-av2.jpg  
Old 01-04-05, 12:00 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Let's try another
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Avalon Preview- official pictures-av3.jpg  
Old 01-04-05, 12:01 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Last one for now....
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Avalon Preview- official pictures-av4.jpg  
Old 01-04-05, 02:22 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it has a larger interior than the LS430.
Old 01-04-05, 02:29 PM
LexFather

I cannot believe this is a Toyota. Wow, what a great job.

Old 01-04-05, 03:06 PM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Can't Toyota design their own cars anymore? Seriously I like their cars but anyone can see how blatantly they steal their cars' styling from other companies.
Old 01-04-05, 03:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 2jzgte
Can't Toyota design their own cars anymore? Seriously I like their cars but anyone can see how blatantly they steal their cars' styling from other companies.
Please explain further? The new Avalon does not mimic another sedan directly, like say the 300C looks just like a Bentley or Maxima looks like a GS. It may have styling cues from other cars but everyone does that.

Old 01-04-05, 03:17 PM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

I can't be spelling it out for you guys all the time.

Quick Reply: 2005 Avalon Preview- official pictures