What type of paint protection for parking outside

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-12, 09:49 PM
kkong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of paint protection for parking outside

Hi

First time poster here. I park my car outside so was wondering what kind of paint protection I should put on my car to protect it against the elements and prevent the paint from fading.
Old 11-11-12, 08:08 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

clay, polish, wax, seal

btw this is CAnada not CAlifornia section lol
Old 11-12-12, 10:14 AM
kkong
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. Any particular type of wax, polish, and/or seal? Or, should I just go to good ole CDN. Tire, and pick up something?

I'm in the Toronto area.. but when registering on the forum, I could enter a Canadian postal code... I probably did something wrong.. *lol*
Old 11-12-12, 06:04 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

You can change your "Location" to Toronto, just type it in lol

Anyways, it really depends on your budget and how deep you want to go into detailing

I used to be all crazy about it and experimented with tons of products but now I'm just an lazy old man who just want to "get it over with" and from my experience I picked out what works best for me (because everyone and every car is different). I personally use Collinite 845 now because it's 1. cheap 2. easy to apply thin 3. easy to buff 4. does not leave residue and 5. works wonders

But wax is only as good as your pre-wax prep....paint need to be properly prepped in order for your wax to work at its full potential which includes a good wash and clay...polish is only necessary if you want to remove some swirls so your wax and shine better (and i mean real machine polish, not the "hand polishes" that you see where they're mostly full of cleaners/fillers and not enough abrasives to actually polish)

Only things I found useful at CT were Autoglym HD wax and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. I sometimes use the MUC for polishing black cars at home. However I gave up on the AGHD wax because it's expensive, hard to apply, and PITA to buff.
My main sources are eshine.ca and wisdomdetail.com. I use eshine mainly for big orders because they're located near Hamilton. Wisdomdetail is local so whenever I need something fast I'll pickup with them.

You can checkout autogeek.net or autopia.org for more detailing advice. Autogeek does a lot of YouTube tutorials you can checkout.
Old 11-14-12, 06:43 PM
kkong
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the great advice. Unfortunately, I've never been really handy, and not much of a DIY guy. I'm also looking for good detailers within the GTA area. If you'd like, I can update this thread with what I have found and how my car turned out.
Old 11-15-12, 07:16 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Next time you can try Demon Detail if you're in Markham/Richmond Hill area.
Great place, prices, services, and knowledge.
Old 11-18-12, 09:24 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You might consider something like CQuartz. I used it on my '90 Cressida, it looks great.
Check the Auto Obsessed web site, lots of products and they ship anywhere. Also feel free to call them, I've gotten good advice.