Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

MK3 Supra W58 to SC400 Manual Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 05:02 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Thank you for posting your experience.

W58 with tripod option may line up perfectly with straight shifter (no cutting I hope).

Personally I prefer hydraulics on the outside, so my choice is changing the bell housing. That requires the casting quality to be top-notch. Adapter plates get milled.

I was hoping to catch a glimpse of tunnel parts from your picture. I could not spot any part that is attached in there.

Salim

Old 09-29-16, 05:53 PM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving the car for about two-three weeks now. It's great... Let's pick up where we left off.

Bolt the transmission up to the engine, and use your SC300 Manual Driveshaft

As you hook the transmission up to the engine, feed your clutch lines up from the back of the engine, avoiding any contact with the exhaust manifold. That will just cause issues :-)

Connect your clutch line up to the Clutch Master Cylinder before you bolt it into the firewall to the clutch pedal.

Everything is bolted together, clutch lines are ran. Now it's time to pump pour in clutch fluid and prepare the throw out bearing.

How to fill a Hydraulic Clutch - Do not try to pump and bleed like other clutch systems. Using a T56 hydraulic throw out bearing, NEVER TOUCH THE CLUTCH PEDAL.

You simply fill the reservoir with fluid, and then you pressure feed the fluid through the lines.

The way we did it was using a radiator hose to create a seal over top of the reservoir, bleeder line cracked open just a little, and you blow to create pressure in the reservoir which pushes the fluid all through the lines, and all the air exits the bleeder line.

Do this until your bleeder line is not dripping, but has a steady stream. Continue the pressure until the line is closed off- Ensuring the pressure remains until the line is closed off as to NOT allow any air to get back into your system.

Viola!

Interior not fitting!

Yes, I bought a 5spd trim piece from Driftmotion. But the shifter location would not allow me to put my interior back together. Below is neutral.

So I took the shift lever to a local muffler shop and paid the guy $20 to heat it and bend it back.

Last edited by macna; 09-29-16 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-29-16, 06:05 PM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Now this is neutral. The pink stuff is insulator that I picked up from Home Depot to fill all of the chasis holes.

Old 09-29-16, 06:10 PM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Since the install, I've dyed the center plastics and steering column black- Installed a CUBE short throw shifter (http://www.cubespeed.com.au/supra.html) and installed racing seats.

Installing the short throw (WHICH IS AMAZING) required some permanent modifying of the under plastics. Well worth it.

Finished!

5spd SC400. Hopefully a M112 to come in the future.
Old 10-02-16, 01:19 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great work and ingenuity. Nice write up.

Ryan
Old 10-08-16, 02:10 PM
Z3RK
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Hey Nice write up very detailed. I just did a manual swap on my SC400 as well but went with the KA trans route. I wish I saw this sooner because there was a solution made for the shifter on the W58 To SC400 if you had the cash, but I hope it helps someone else who reads this
http://xcessivemanufacturing.com/ind...-series-2.html
There's also one for R154 to SC400 as well
http://xcessivemanufacturing.com/ind...-series-2.html

Congrats on the swap and have fun. Btw what racing seats are those they look amazing in the car.
Old 10-09-16, 10:02 PM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

good ol swan shifter, I'm surprised you took the stock w58 shifter and heated it up like that I figured the rubber inside the shift lever would be seriously cooking with all that heat
Old 01-02-17, 08:45 AM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Moderator- Where ever you may be.... Could we change the title of this write up to:

Old 01-02-17, 08:55 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by macna
Moderator- Where ever you may be.... Could we change the title of this write up to:

Done ..... !