Eric's GS300 Storm-trooper Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-16, 12:13 PM
bullhog
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ericherm1
Look what I came home to!!!

All of the aforementioned items must have been for Valentine's gift for you?
Old 01-01-17, 07:18 PM
ericherm1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bullhog
All of the aforementioned items must have been for Valentine's gift for you?
Yeah, well I did trade my Corvette in on an Escalade for her last Jan....lol
Old 01-01-17, 08:27 PM
bullhog
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the two of you take good care of each other! The two of you sound like my wife and I...
Old 09-30-17, 04:53 PM
ericherm1
Driver

So it's been just a daily driver for now since I bought the GTR but today I received Megan Front Upper Camber correction arms and my JDM Climate control.

Here's a couple pics of the Climate control installed. It's plug and play. Notice I swapped the passenger temp buttons to visually match driver placement.

Old 10-02-17, 12:29 AM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

what's the point of getting a jdm climate control?

it's nothing something cool like the SC where it's a touch screen and stuff of that sort.

not trying to hate, just trying to understand.
Old 10-02-17, 02:40 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Originally Posted by Luxurious
what's the point of getting a jdm climate control?

it's nothing something cool like the SC where it's a touch screen and stuff of that sort.

not trying to hate, just trying to understand.
The point is; it's different, it's plug and play, and it contains the same message center the NAV units have. The Message unit gives you distance till empty, average MPG, Instant MPG, and a bunch of other cool stuff you could only get if you had factory nav.

Now there is a bit of getting used too because the actual numbers displayed are in Miles but it will tell you Kilometers. The unit only knows what it's feed and our cars all have standard US mph sensors so that is what it will display.

I think it's pretty neat and gives me a little hint of reminiscence of my time spent in Japan years back. Oh and it also reads temp in Celsius.

So to fully answer your question: because I can.
The following users liked this post:
Jerbou71 (11-21-17)
Old 10-02-17, 10:20 AM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ericherm1
The point is; it's different, it's plug and play, and it contains the same message center the NAV units have. The Message unit gives you distance till empty, average MPG, Instant MPG, and a bunch of other cool stuff you could only get if you had factory nav.

Now there is a bit of getting used too because the actual numbers displayed are in Miles but it will tell you Kilometers. The unit only knows what it's feed and our cars all have standard US mph sensors so that is what it will display.

I think it's pretty neat and gives me a little hint of reminiscence of my time spent in Japan years back. Oh and it also reads temp in Celsius.

So to fully answer your question: because I can.
Got it. Didn't know it gave the other messages but that's what I get for not knowing my information. I like it.
Old 10-31-17, 06:44 AM
LexxLuga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a really nice car. Two questions. How is the tire life commuting with the low profile tires? I had some on my 2000 but it seemed like I was replacing tires every year. (they may have just been cheap). So I switched back to the stock wheels. Also, how hard was the coilover install? I've been considering purchasing them and doing an install my self.
My son is turning 16 next month and I'm thinking about passing my daily commuter (120mi) over to him. We've been doing the stereo install the last few days; head unit, front and rear doors, sub and amp.
Old 10-31-17, 06:53 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Originally Posted by LexxLuga
That's a really nice car. Two questions. How is the tire life commuting with the low profile tires? I had some on my 2000 but it seemed like I was replacing tires every year. (they may have just been cheap). So I switched back to the stock wheels. Also, how hard was the coilover install? I've been considering purchasing them and doing an install my self.
My son is turning 16 next month and I'm thinking about passing my daily commuter (120mi) over to him. We've been doing the stereo install the last few days; head unit, front and rear doors, sub and amp.
Well I've only had to replace the fronts only because of the negative camber. I have since installed Megan adjustable upper control arms and an alignment. The front wheels are now within stock alignment numbers so wear should be exactly the same as stock wheels and tires. The rears still have over 50% left and it's already been 2 years and almost 20k miles. To install the coil overs you have to break the upper ball joint so if you intend on going that route I would just do the adjustable upper arms. It kills two birds with one stone by adding adjust-ability, new bushings, and ball joints. Coil-overs run anywhere between $400 used to $900 new, upper arms around $200, and if you want to lessen the roll a megan rear sway bar is a piece of cake to install with huge benefits for less than $100.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-31-17, 10:01 AM
LexxLuga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank for your help
Old 11-26-17, 11:15 PM
GsGuyMo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always wanted a white gs =( lol
Old 02-04-18, 04:49 AM
Eggplantgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice GS, color looks great !
Old 08-16-18, 05:58 AM
ericherm1
Driver

*Update*

Was rear ended on the freeway in stop-n-go traffic a few weeks ago. Insurance company totaled it but now that just means I don't have to feel guilty really going to town on it now!

Old 08-16-18, 07:07 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Sorry to hear its totaled. I was really liking the build so far. Are you going to keep the car?
Old 08-16-18, 09:17 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

they totaled her out for that? wow

Quick Reply: Eric's GS300 Storm-trooper Build