Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 3IS owner vehicles

2014 is250 vs 350 - carbon build up Q & 0-60 times

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 12:40 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
Is the 3IS 250 mileage really different from a 2IS? My 2010 250 gets crazy good mileage. It's not a fast car at all, but I can sometimes get 33-35mpg on long trips, and it's extremely easy on brakes and tires due to less aggressive driving. Plenty of oomph for passing, etc... I've had fast cards and I don't miss the power. Fuel savings in real world driving is much more than advertised because of the way a 350 makes you feel like you need to drive.

Again that's a 2IS though. I know the 3IS is a little heavier but I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference in gas mileage.
The 3IS is a bit heavier, but it also has better Cw-value. Should break even.
Old 09-15-13, 02:32 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markb3
Thanks for making me feel better about the decision, but sorry to hear your not that happy.

For me, when i broke it down, I figured its a small price to pay to have a car with 100 more HP and a very slight difference in gas mileage. Coming from an audi, i figured its like the difference between an a4 and an s4, however an S4 has a HUGE price premium to pay compared to the 250 vs 350. It was a hard choice to move from audi, but even though I don't have the car yet, I feel really good about going with Lexus. My a4 has not been reliable at all, constant oil issues, either engine drinking too much or oil pressure too high. And to be fair, I dont think the B8 style A4/S4s are that nice (2009 + models). #1 I see way too many on the road (a4s) and #2 unless its the S Line package, the rims they come with are hideous #3 they dont have the LFA inspired gauges which I loved during the test drive. Big step for Lexus doing this. I've read several negative reviews about Lexus' choice in the 2.5 and 3.5 L engines without turbos or supercharges, however if I told you how many times I had oil pressure problems and how much money I spent on my A4, i guarantee its directly linked to the turbo.

+1 for Reliability
I did test drove A4 before getting the IS but the reliability pull me off of that. You will be super satisfied with your new ride. Come back when you have the car and share your first thoughts.

Is the 3IS 250 mileage really different from a 2IS? My 2010 250 gets crazy good mileage. It's not a fast car at all, but I can sometimes get 33-35mpg on long trips, and it's extremely easy on brakes and tires due to less aggressive driving. Plenty of oomph for passing, etc... I've had fast cards and I don't miss the power. Fuel savings in real world driving is much more than advertised because of the way a 350 makes you feel like you need to drive.

Again that's a 2IS though. I know the 3IS is a little heavier but I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference in gas mileage.
Just to clarify I have the same car as yours 2010 IS250. My driving is mostly city, I rarely go on highway and I am not happy with the mileage. I am getting 22 maybe 23 as I am pushing this lazy thing. The think is that IS350 would get the exact same mileage or insignificant less for a lot more you're getting. Wish I did this move before but IS350 was so hard to find and I was in a hurry to change my car. It is an almost 10k difference I need to pay not.
I do not think I will upgrade to 3is unless they bring a new engine. it is not worthed to me
Old 09-15-13, 03:54 PM
markb3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I get the car I'll post a picture and my first thoughts for sure.
Old 09-15-13, 06:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

My a4 has not been reliable at all, constant oil issues, either engine drinking too much or oil pressure too high. And to be fair, I dont think the B8 style A4/S4s are that nice (2009 + models). #1 I see way too many on the road (a4s) and #2 unless its the S Line package, the rims they come with are hideous #3 they dont have the LFA inspired gauges which I loved during the test drive. Big step for Lexus doing this. I've read several negative reviews about Lexus' choice in the 2.5 and 3.5 L engines without turbos or supercharges, however if I told you how many times I had oil pressure problems and how much money I spent on my A4, i guarantee its directly linked to the turbo.

+1 for Reliability
Congratulations. The IS will gain several new "conquest" buyers as yourself who have been loyal to the A4 or 3-series. A+ to you for putting any pride aside and making the switch to the IS. Congrats, you will have years of fun troublefree driving.

I'm getting the same mileage on my 3IS as with my previous 2IS around 22 mpg mainly city. And agree, the power is good - no complaints especially when the buttery smooth 2.5L V6 revs.
Old 09-15-13, 08:49 PM
Fringe
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=corradoMR2;8141751]Congratulations. The IS will gain several new "conquest" buyers as yourself who have been loyal to the A4 or 3-series. A+ to you for putting any pride aside and making the switch to the IS. Congrats, you will have years of fun troublefree driving.

There was a time when I wouldn't have dreamed of buying anything but a German car. I was set on the Mercedes CLA until I went to test drive the IS 350 F Sport. Completely impressed, and the 34.2 foot turning radius sealed the deal!
Old 09-15-13, 09:48 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

+1 on getting the 350. The IS250 is frustratingly underpowered for daily driving. The IS350 is slightly overpowered for daily driving (which is what you want), although eventually you'll get used to it and it'll feel "normal" (until of course you step into a 250 or a 150 HP econobox rental and then go back to the 350).

Every time I drop off my IS250 rental and get back into my IS350, it feels like a rocket again. I'm still incredibly pleased with the 350's power 4 years into ownership.
Old 09-15-13, 10:47 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

A good friend of mine has an IS250. Her rationale is that she commutes daily in Los Angeles and is always stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic! No opportunity to accelerate
Old 09-16-13, 02:36 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Once the IS250 is at cruising speed difference narrows down. The IS250 is heaps good for easy passing on the HWY.
Old 09-16-13, 02:38 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for making me feel better about the decision, but sorry to hear your not that happy.

For me, when i broke it down, I figured its a small price to pay to have a car with 100 more HP and a very slight difference in gas mileage. Coming from an audi, i figured its like the difference between an a4 and an s4, however an S4 has a HUGE price premium to pay compared to the 250 vs 350. It was a hard choice to move from audi, but even though I don't have the car yet, I feel really good about going with Lexus. My a4 has not been reliable at all, constant oil issues, either engine drinking too much or oil pressure too high. And to be fair, I dont think the B8 style A4/S4s are that nice (2009 + models). #1 I see way too many on the road (a4s) and #2 unless its the S Line package, the rims they come with are hideous #3 they dont have the LFA inspired gauges which I loved during the test drive. Big step for Lexus doing this. I've read several negative reviews about Lexus' choice in the 2.5 and 3.5 L engines without turbos or supercharges, however if I told you how many times I had oil pressure problems and how much money I spent on my A4, i guarantee its directly linked to the turbo.

+1 for Reliability
Well consider this. Japanese engines are so good that everyone else including the Germans needed to go with the turbo & supercharged route to compete.
Old 09-16-13, 03:48 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yowps3
Well consider this. Japanese engines are so good that everyone else including the Germans needed to go with the turbo & supercharged route to compete.
It's not the case. I think the reason why they use turbo is to get an optimum balance between power and fuel efficiency. Most of them have better performance and get better gas mileage so I guess they like to go that route. New 335M is one full second faster than IS350 and still has better mileage.
Old 09-16-13, 04:16 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yowps3
No the upcoming regulations for emission is forcing them to leave naturally aspirated engines. Lexus will also need to do this in time. Most likely in the mid cycle makover.
The 350 isn't offered over here, and the 250 will not sell so much because of the fuel consumtion. The 206hp 250 uses more fuel than the 330hp Audi S4 on paper.
Old 09-16-13, 05:02 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jhs82
No the upcoming regulations for emission is forcing them to leave naturally aspirated engines. Lexus will also need to do this in time. Most likely in the mid cycle makover.
The 350 isn't offered over here, and the 250 will not sell so much because of the fuel consumtion. The 206hp 250 uses more fuel than the 330hp Audi S4 on paper.
All German cars are good on paper. In reality they guzzle gas. Turbo engines use much more fuel than N/A engines. It has been proven and is obvious.

Look at the Ford Ecoboost stuff. The escape SUV for example. It's a 1.6L Turbo yet its slower and uses more fuel than the N/A 2.4L & 2.5L Honda & Toyota SUVs.

Also the Germans all use stop/start, cylinder deactivation, 8-gear ratios and lugging the engines on 8th gear doing 40kmh to obtain their paper fuel consumption.

My friend has a 328i and it uses an average of 13-14L/100km in fuel. And it's only a 2.0L 4-cyl
Old 09-16-13, 05:12 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Here more proof..

ICCT found the worst offenders to be Germany luxury car makers. According to the study, BMW's vehicles spew about 30 percent more carbon emissions than stated by the automaker during real-world driving. Audi wasn't far behind with a 28 percent disparity, followed by Mercedes-Benz with a 26 percent difference.

On the lower end of the study, Toyota missed its stated emissions by 15 percent while PSA Peugeot Citroen's figures were about 16 percent below what drivers in the real-world would experience.

"This means that the actual fuel consumption experienced by the average driver is typically 25 percent higher than what is printed on the sales sticker," Peter Mock, managing director of ICCT Europe, told Reuters
Old 09-16-13, 07:22 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

A turbo engine is more sensitive in how you drive it. It takes a more delicate foot to keep the consumption down. And what else to expect? High power requires more fuel. However, i drove my A4 2.0Tq just a tad over stated consumption, and that engine is comparable to IS250 both in power and consumption. But the A4 is more than a second faster in 0-62mph, even though it has about 200lb more to move. It also has a lot more torque.

Still turbo is the only way to go in the future, if you don't want a hybrid. For the IS the 300h is just slightly slower in 0-62 compared to the 250, but you get almost twice the MPG.
Old 09-16-13, 08:50 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keyframe13
The think is that IS350 would get the exact same mileage or insignificant less for a lot more you're getting.
All things being equal, no. I've driven a 350 for a while and found that given my driving style, my overall MPG was over 15% worse in the 350.

The reason you're getting dismal mileage on the 250 is probably from gunning it too much. Do you drive it in power or normal mode most of the time?

Last edited by MBTC; 09-16-13 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 is250 vs 350 - carbon build up Q & 0-60 times