ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Build Threads (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads-256/)
-   -   2014 is250 vs 350 - carbon build up Q & 0-60 times (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads/708150-2014-is250-vs-350-carbon-build-up-q-and-0-60-times.html)

markb3 09-03-13 11:26 PM

2014 is250 vs 350 - carbon build up Q & 0-60 times

On Thursday I plan on going to a Lexus dealership to finalize a deal on either a 2014 is 250 fsport or 350 fsport. I would be a first time lexus owner and first time brand new car owner. I chose lexus for its known reliability and i love the new IS FSport look. I'm looking for some advice. I would be getting the AWD model for sure (so no RWD 350 8 speed). I live in an area with tough winters.

1) The more I read about reliability, the more I read about the is250 carbon build up issue (in pre 2010 models or so). I've read the issue has been fixed for new models, and I've also read the issue was "slightly fixed" only delaying when this will happen. What do I believe, as we know its the same engine as previous is250s? Is this also an issue with the 350, as I did find a thread as well about 350 carbon buildup.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue. Is this a concern for me buying a 250? I would not be getting the extended warranty.

2) Lexus states 0-60 on is250 7.7sec, while 0-60 on is350 is 5.6 sec. I would be switching from an 2007 audi a4 2.0T quattro which is 7.2sec i believe.

Is the is250 7.7sec considering Sport mode? I would assume so (that this is the fastest possible 0-60), however I am still quite shocked that the 0-60 speed is this slow. What is throwing me off is I found that on this website " http://www.zeroto60times.com/Lexus-0-60-mph-Times.html " reads the following:

2014 Lexus IS 250 0-60 mph 7.5 Quarter Mile 15.4

2014 Lexus IS 350 0-60 mph 4.9 Quarter Mile 13.4

2014 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport Package 0-60 mph 5.5 Quarter Mile 13.7

2014 Lexus IS 250 F-Sport Package 0-60 mph 7.1 Quarter Mile 15.4

However - this must be clearly wrong. Why would the Lexus website state otherwise? Secondly, how can is350 have a better 0-60 than the is350 fsport. This does not seem to add up which is why I'm questioning the 0-60 in the first place.

Saying that, I do not drive that fast, I probably wont need the extra HP - however taxes in we are looking at roughly 5k difference between the two packages. But isn't it quite embarrassing if a Honda Oddessy pulls up beside me and has a faster 0-60? Am I thinking about this the wrong way? I'm fairly young so 5k more in my pocket would help, however saying that, I can afford it - but dont necessarily want to spend it. My driving consists mainly of about a 25 min drive to work, half of it in almost bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway, and the other have driving at normal speeds like 35-50mph.

What I'm trying to say is, if it is about 7.1 or 7.2, Im happy with that. Its fine on my audi a4 and never felt the need for more power. However, when we start talking about 7.7 and go into the territory of cheap $20-25k cars with these times, it seems like a silly premium to pay for a lexus.

I keep going back and forth between 250 and 350. First I wanted a 350, then I convinced myself a 250 is enough after a test drive. After, a friend mentioned to me "why will you pay 45k for a fancy toyota that has a 7.7sec 0-60, you might as well get a camry, or just pay the extra for the 350." This got me thinking again.

To be quite honest, I don't care what anyone thinks - however the reliability/carbon issue is what I'm focusing on right now. I'll pay the 5k for the 350 if I know this is an issue expected to happen in a 250...

One more thing I wanted to mention - buying this car new, I plan on having it at least 7-10+ years. So buying a 250 and "seeing how I like it" and trading it in 2-3 years later if I don't is not an option.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks

markb3 09-04-13 09:47 AM

Bump please!

embolism 09-04-13 10:13 AM

if you're keeping it for 10 years, get the 350

10 years is a long time to play coulda/shoulda...

TripleL 09-04-13 10:32 AM

Welcome to CL

The 0-60 time is about right figure high 7s for the 250AWD. I came from an Audi A4 2.8 quattro and my 06 250 is about the same speed wise maybe a tick quicker. I also keep my cars a while and have no regrets about my 250 these last 7.5 years, in fact this car is the best ownership experience of any car I've owned. I haven't had the carbon issue but Lexus has us covered up to 9 years so that's cool.

As a daily driver the 250 is an excellent combination of speed and MPG etc. If you were happy with the 2.0T you'd be happy with this too.

When I bought in 06 there was no 350AWD so I bought the 250AWD and have been very happy with the car. I'm in the market now for a new ride and I'm drawn to the 350AWD if I go with another IS but only as a 'want' not a need.

Good luck in your search

Bushum 09-04-13 07:31 PM

Get the 350. There is much more to the extra 100 HP than simply beating a minivan at a light.

You are on a two lane road and there is someone in front of you going five under the speed limit. It is a fairly curvy road with limited, short straights for passing. Can you get around without endangering yourself or oncoming traffic or must you cross your fingers every time? Same thing with on ramps merging onto a fast, busy interstate. You do not need to be a boy racer, a speed demon, or anything of the sort to make use of the extra power. You can break any speed limit in America with any car sold here. Not having enough power is much more dangerous than having too much, within reason of course.

corradoMR2 09-04-13 07:55 PM

10+ years, get the 350 for lack of the carbon buildup issue and avoiding any risk you will want more power.

For me 250 is what I got as I don't keep cars more than 2-3 years and the power, fuel economy, and purchase price meet my needs.

markb3 09-11-13 05:14 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I delayed purchasing this car because I am also stuck in between colours as well. I started looking at Audi S4's which I've always loved, and even considered getting a brand new a4 2014, however when it comes audi's I've had a bad experience with my A4 for repairs, and I think getting an S4 will just increase my repair bills significantly.

One thing that sucks - you cant get the Fsport in Silver Lining Metalic in Canada.I wanted Silver and personally am not a fan of Atomic Silver (which is available). This is why im considering another car. However, I may just get the car in black (would be first black car) and many people have mixed emotions about the maintenance of a black car, however they are sexy.

I'm considering the 350 since I started looking at S4's. 350 would be cheaper fully loaded Fsport over the S4. I think I will end up buying this lexus based on proven reliability and I like the new look of the IS. Although some reviews I watched where they considered it ugly, I think its beautiful and all that matters is how I feel driving the car. As much as I have loved S4s over the past 10 years, now I'm starting to see them as "A4's" with nicer rims, shinier chrome mirrors and being "nothing special." This is especially the case for a Silver S4, because those features dont stand out as much, or at all. However black looks good in S4. Of course they have the great interior and seats and everything a4 vs s4, but I think I like the Lexus IS seats better even.

If anyone else has some feedback for 250 vs 350 please feel free. Thanks

corradoMR2 09-11-13 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by markb3 (Post 8135865)
Thanks for the advice guys. I delayed purchasing this car because I am also stuck in between colours as well. I started looking at Audi S4's which I've always loved, and even considered getting a brand new a4 2014, however when it comes audi's I've had a bad experience with my A4 for repairs, and I think getting an S4 will just increase my repair bills significantly.

One thing that sucks - you cant get the Fsport in Silver Lining Metalic in Canada.I wanted Silver and personally am not a fan of Atomic Silver (which is available). This is why im considering another car. However, I may just get the car in black (would be first black car) and many people have mixed emotions about the maintenance of a black car, however they are sexy.

I'm considering the 350 since I started looking at S4's. 350 would be cheaper fully loaded Fsport over the S4. I think I will end up buying this lexus based on proven reliability and I like the new look of the IS. Although some reviews I watched where they considered it ugly, I think its beautiful and all that matters is how I feel driving the car. As much as I have loved S4s over the past 10 years, now I'm starting to see them as "A4's" with nicer rims, shinier chrome mirrors and being "nothing special." This is especially the case for a Silver S4, because those features dont stand out as much, or at all. However black looks good in S4. Of course they have the great interior and seats and everything a4 vs s4, but I think I like the Lexus IS seats better even.

If anyone else has some feedback for 250 vs 350 please feel free. Thanks

If you were considering an S4 (333 hp turbo V6), the 306 hp 350 is a must over the 204 hp 250, but the 250's 2.5L V6 is so buttery smooooth, more so than the 350's.

An Obsidian IS F-Sport with the Rioja red interior is a gorgeous combination and was the one I almost bought. Can't go wrong with that color but if you really want to stand out consider Ultrasonic Blue! It's a rare breed and is only available in Canada in N.America!

yowps3 09-11-13 07:43 PM

If your keeping the car for 10yrs than the IS350 is a no brainer. $4000 over 4yrs comes to about $7.00 extra per week. That's well worth it for the massive driving joy that you'll gain with the IS350. You'll regret not getting the IS350 if you choose the IS250.

IS250 is underpowered, especially now with the 3IS, the IS250 is even slower as it has gained weight.

The 2.5L Camry LE felt quicker and peppier to me than the IS250 did.

What's the point of the IS250 anyway? It gets the exact same MPG, if not worse than the bigger IS350. All the good chassis potential wastes due to a weak motor.

markb3 09-14-13 10:43 PM

I ended up getting the IS350 AWD, Fsport w/Nav, black on red interior. I should have it in about 3 weeks, I'm very excited! Thanks for everyone's input.

TripleL 09-15-13 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by markb3 (Post 8140855)
I ended up getting the IS350 AWD, Fsport w/Nav, black on red interior. I should have it in about 3 weeks, I'm very excited! Thanks for everyone's input.

Great choice! Post up a pic for us here once you pic it up.

keyframe13 09-15-13 06:45 AM

Great choice and enjoy your car. Was about to mention to run away from IS250. I only have the car for few months and I am really disappointed with the performance of this car and gas mileage like other people mentioned. It does feel like a 4 cylinder with terrible gas mileage.
Considering upgrading to 350 shortly.

markb3 09-15-13 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by keyframe13 (Post 8141079)
Great choice and enjoy your car. Was about to mention to run away from IS250. I only have the car for few months and I am really disappointed with the performance of this car and gas mileage like other people mentioned. It does feel like a 4 cylinder with terrible gas mileage.

Thanks for making me feel better about the decision, but sorry to hear your not that happy.

For me, when i broke it down, I figured its a small price to pay to have a car with 100 more HP and a very slight difference in gas mileage. Coming from an audi, i figured its like the difference between an a4 and an s4, however an S4 has a HUGE price premium to pay compared to the 250 vs 350. It was a hard choice to move from audi, but even though I don't have the car yet, I feel really good about going with Lexus. My a4 has not been reliable at all, constant oil issues, either engine drinking too much or oil pressure too high. And to be fair, I dont think the B8 style A4/S4s are that nice (2009 + models). #1 I see way too many on the road (a4s) and #2 unless its the S Line package, the rims they come with are hideous #3 they dont have the LFA inspired gauges which I loved during the test drive. Big step for Lexus doing this. I've read several negative reviews about Lexus' choice in the 2.5 and 3.5 L engines without turbos or supercharges, however if I told you how many times I had oil pressure problems and how much money I spent on my A4, i guarantee its directly linked to the turbo.

+1 for Reliability

CtSFox 09-15-13 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by markb3 (Post 8141323)
Thanks for making me feel better about the decision, but sorry to hear your not that happy.

For me, when i broke it down, I figured its a small price to pay to have a car with 100 more HP and a very slight difference in gas mileage. Coming from an audi, i figured its like the difference between an a4 and an s4, however an S4 has a HUGE price premium to pay compared to the 250 vs 350. It was a hard choice to move from audi, but even though I don't have the car yet, I feel really good about going with Lexus. My a4 has not been reliable at all, constant oil issues, either engine drinking too much or oil pressure too high. And to be fair, I dont think the B8 style A4/S4s are that nice (2009 + models). #1 I see way too many on the road (a4s) and #2 unless its the S Line package, the rims they come with are hideous #3 they dont have the LFA inspired gauges which I loved during the test drive. Big step for Lexus doing this. I've read several negative reviews about Lexus' choice in the 2.5 and 3.5 L engines without turbos or supercharges, however if I told you how many times I had oil pressure problems and how much money I spent on my A4, i guarantee its directly linked to the turbo.

+1 for Reliability

"I've read several negative reviews about Lexus choice in,,,,engines without turbos or supercharges"

In my opinion, I see the normaly aspirated engine in the IS as an advantage. Cars with turbos that I've owned have had oil consumption issues and reliability/durability problems apparently related to the turbocharger. Also, I like the smooth power delivery (no turbo lag, etc) offered by normally aspirated motor.

MBTC 09-15-13 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by keyframe13 (Post 8141079)

Is the 3IS 250 mileage really different from a 2IS? My 2010 250 gets crazy good mileage. It's not a fast car at all, but I can sometimes get 33-35mpg on long trips, and it's extremely easy on brakes and tires due to less aggressive driving. Plenty of oomph for passing, etc... I've had fast cards and I don't miss the power. Fuel savings in real world driving is much more than advertised because of the way a 350 makes you feel like you need to drive.

Again that's a 2IS though. I know the 3IS is a little heavier but I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference in gas mileage.