IS 350 Transmission Fluid Change - Club Lexus Forums

Go Back   > > > >
Log In 

IS 350 Transmission Fluid Change

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-13, 09:11 AM   #1
rmd5062
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 25
Default IS 350 Transmission Fluid Change

The navigation screen in my car is displaying a message that it is time to have the transmission fluid changed in my car. Have any of you had this done, how much did it cost, what did they do, and was there a noticeable difference in how the vehicle drove afterward?
rmd5062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 10:22 AM   #2
edgeucated
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (4)
 
edgeucated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: socal
Posts: 3,115
Default

could we get a picture please?! The transmission fluid is lifetime according to lexus, and its sealed, so practically impossible to change.

If the navi says it, then it totally contradicts lexus...
edgeucated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 09:12 AM   #3
balanced
Driver
iTrader: (3)
 
balanced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 106
Default

I had mine changed at Hendrick Lexus at Northlake (north Charlotte). I'm thinking it was $210ish. They did a complete flush (as opposed to a drain and fill which only gets a couple qts). If I remember correctly I think they used BG fluid.

I definately noticed the shifting being smoother (I thought it was shifting kinda hard)
balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 02:47 PM   #4
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver
 
UniSlayEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Californ-i-a
Posts: 1,545
Default

But it's not a recommended maintenance item. rmd5062, for 150,000 miles not once is it mentioned to Replace Transmission Fluid. What is the vehicles mileage? Let us know what happens...
UniSlayEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 04:47 AM   #5
balanced
Driver
iTrader: (3)
 
balanced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 106
Default

Hendrick Lexus said they are recommending changing the TF at 100K. I had mine changed at 75k and plan on changing it every 50k. If it's a money making sceme, they can have mine. It makes me feel better so it's worth it.

I am a design/industrial engineer so I do have a basis for my opinion. I don't believe in lifetime fills, or 15k mile oil changes....
balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 04:48 AM   #6
balanced
Driver
iTrader: (3)
 
balanced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 106
Default

I would like to see a pic of the Nav stating it is due though....
balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 10:13 AM   #7
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver
 
UniSlayEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Californ-i-a
Posts: 1,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanced View Post
Hendrick Lexus said they are recommending changing the TF at 100K. I had mine changed at 75k and plan on changing it every 50k. If it's a money making sceme, they can have mine. It makes me feel better so it's worth it.

I am a design/industrial engineer so I do have a basis for my opinion. I don't believe in lifetime fills, or 15k mile oil changes....
I too, being (not professionally) mechanically inclined, plan on changing mine at 100,000 miles but my question is while we would like it changed the manufacturer says nothing for 150,000 with only the regular check for leakage. I'd agree that although it is a "lifetime" fluid changing it has it's advantages. Just my 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanced View Post
I would like to see a pic of the Nav stating it is due though....
Agreed.
UniSlayEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 11:06 AM   #8
vapid2323
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniSlayEX View Post
I too, being (not professionally) mechanically inclined, plan on changing mine at 100,000 miles but my question is while we would like it changed the manufacturer says nothing for 150,000 with only the regular check for leakage. I'd agree that although it is a "lifetime" fluid changing it has it's advantages. Just my 2.



Agreed.
GO into your maintenance screen and setup a reminder for the maintenance and you will see the screen he is talking about, I have the same thing for tires, oil etc. The original dealer must have set the reminders. IMO not a bad idea from a sales perspective.
vapid2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 12:58 PM   #9
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver
 
UniSlayEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Californ-i-a
Posts: 1,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid2323 View Post
GO into your maintenance screen and setup a reminder for the maintenance and you will see the screen he is talking about, I have the same thing for tires, oil etc.
I'm aware how it works lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid2323 View Post
IMO not a bad idea from a sales perspective.


So rmd5062, anything???
UniSlayEX is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2008 GS 350 Transmission Fluid HELP! d4vid GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) 17 04-06-16 04:57 AM
Changing all fluids. PersianOne LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) 4 08-12-15 01:24 AM
Transmission fluid change 88k miles genjix GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) 14 05-24-14 02:49 PM
Transmission Fluid Change Gone Bad! jiodaqmke ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) 20 07-19-11 03:30 PM
Is it harmful to your car if you change fluids TOO often? KingNasGS4 GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) 13 05-10-10 09:17 AM


Tags
2006, 350, change, changing, clublexus, cost, fluid, flush, is350, lexus, mileage, oil, recommended, tranny, transmission

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved