Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

8052JZ's NA-T Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 09:38 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

So close, but yet so far away. What made you do the wire tuck? Yeah I know seeing others and how they look. This forum makes us do so many crazy things, but will it ever stop, highly doubt it. LOL
Old 03-04-14, 09:39 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Why didn't you run a intake side for the oil catch can? I have mine similar to that and the exhaust gases are so strong inside the cabin with fresh air on, on the climate control. That is my mod is to o buy a new catch can and redo the setup that I have now. Tired of blowing out rear main seals.
Old 03-04-14, 10:35 AM
BAD954BOI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the wire tuck.. Now I got to go back to the drawing board lol
Old 03-04-14, 10:55 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
So close, but yet so far away. What made you do the wire tuck? Yeah I know seeing others and how they look. This forum makes us do so many crazy things, but will it ever stop, highly doubt it. LOL
Well I've been thinking about it for a while and always loved the look of a clean bay and no wires. After seeing Gerrys car, I guess it motivated me to get it done lol pretty happy that I got it done. Looks great with no wire harness in the bay.

Why didn't you run a intake side for the oil catch can? I have mine similar to that and the exhaust gases are so strong inside the cabin with fresh air on, on the climate control. That is my mod is to o buy a new catch can and redo the setup that I have now. Tired of blowing out rear main seals.
There are two lines, one for the exhaust side and one for intake side running to the catch can. Might be a little hard to see the intake side but there are both there. as for Fumes not sure on that part yet ill have to figure that one out when the time comes lol

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
Love the wire tuck.. Now I got to go back to the drawing board lol
well worth the clean bay look
Old 03-04-14, 11:47 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

The fumes will suck if it doesn't pull like it should. I see a lot of guys on SF only run one, due to the covers venting across each other in the middle. On the other side, I see a lot of guys with over 400-500 range do a twin setup, one for each side going to the catch can. I still to this day don't see how routing the intake side of the oil catch can to the exhaust/DP even works. I guess it does, because it is getting more and more popular.
Old 03-04-14, 12:32 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

By routing it into the dp/exhaust it creates suction and gives the piston ring to cylinder wall a better seal along with a crankcase breather. I was talking to Dan at FS Moto about that and he explained it to me.This was awhile back so I could be a little of on the statement lol
Old 03-04-14, 12:44 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Richard,

What did you paint exhaust with??

Shane
Old 03-04-14, 12:51 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

The fumes will suck if it doesn't pull like it should. I see a lot of guys on SF only run one, due to the covers venting across each other in the middle. On the other side, I see a lot of guys with over 400-500 range do a twin setup, one for each side going to the catch can. I still to this day don't see how routing the intake side of the oil catch can to the exhaust/DP even works. I guess it does, because it is getting more and more popular.
Originally Posted by 8052JZ
By routing it into the dp/exhaust it creates suction and gives the piston ring to cylinder wall a better seal along with a crankcase breather. I was talking to Dan at FS Moto about that and he explained it to me.This was awhile back so I could be a little of on the statement lol
Routing the valve cover vents to the downpipe used to be very common with MKIV owners in the past I believe. I maybe wrong but read a lot of thread about that topic.

My personal opinion, you will have to check the or those one way / check valves into the down pipe always. They break . If that happens instead of sucking / venting the crankcase pressure of the block to the down pipe, you might be pushing exhaust into your block through the valve covers. I now believe, Jay's (Mark , remember what I told you about the downpipe check valve you sent me for Jay's exhaust which I have ?) motor damage can be partly attributed to that because his down pipe check valve is bad which I still have to date. Exhaust was getting into his engine I guess.. just a wild guess .

So , getting a catch can with baffles and re-routing of those fumes to the turbo intake for excavation is better in my opinion . You just have to spend for a really good catch can that separates oil / liquid from air so no oil goes back into your turbo or intercooler tracks back to your intake manifold.

If your catch can do not have a return line to the turbo intake for the purpose of pressure excavation out of your block, there is no difference in just putting a filter to the opening of your valve covers. Your catch can is simply an oil collector and wouldn't splatter oil all over your engine bay that may happen if you just have a filter.

Last edited by gerrb; 03-04-14 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 12:53 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SSmith
Richard,

What did you paint exhaust with??

Shane
I just used regular engine paint. Aluminum paint as base than used a clean on top. Hope it holds up.
Old 03-04-14, 02:08 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

So Gerry, will I be expecting any problems with my catch can setup? I mean Ive seen a bunch of supras running it this way and not having any trouble? Sound Performance does make a catch similar to the one I had made? two lines from valve covers and a filter with a baffle inside.
Old 03-04-14, 03:37 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1243

this is what I am going to run on my catch can setup. Summit has them the cheapest that I have found.
Old 03-04-14, 04:12 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
So Gerry, will I be expecting any problems with my catch can setup? I mean Ive seen a bunch of supras running it this way and not having any trouble? Sound Performance does make a catch similar to the one I had made? two lines from valve covers and a filter with a baffle inside.

Richard, I don't see any problem on your catch can setup. It is indeed true that a lot of supra or tons of car has that setup ... lines from valve covers goes to catch can and have filters on catch can.

Let me explain what I was trying to say. If you observe the original supra mkiv 2jzgte setup , the passenger side valve cover pressure relief has a hose that goes to the intake of the turbo , the driver side goes to intake manifold but with a check valve in between. They are trying to take advantage of the vacuum created by the turbo to excavate the pressure inside the block. But at stock power, that pressure is not as much as we generate now with our 500+rwhp cars.

Comes in the catch can, With your setup now , the fumes, pressure, blowby gasses, oil goes into your catch can and fumes / pressure escapes on your filter. So it is a mere oil / liquid collector . It doesn't do any extra excavation .. not like if a port from your catch can goes on your turbo intake, the vacuum generated by the turbo helps pull out the pressure from your crank case but at the same time an effective catch can will separate the oil / liquid from air.... liquid goes down or stays inside the catch can and only air is sucked into the turbo... reason why some catch can are very cheap and some expensive depending on construction. Some are mere oil collectors without even any baffles inside.

You also see some setup simply having a small filter on that valve cover pressure relief port but the disadvantage would be blowby oil / liquid will be all over the vicinity of that valve cover while relieving pressure through that filter. Oil splashing through a hot turbine housing surface can probably cause fire so it isn't a good setup I believe. Yours at least collect that oil but doesn't help in excavating or pulling out that pressure inside the crankcase.

Same reason why some will connect those valve cover ports to the downpipe. The gushing of exhaust gas presumably will help pull out the crankcase pressure through a check valve. But my point is , those checkvalves gets damage I guess because of too much heat. And if they are damage then exhaust gas can get into your engine instead of the crankcase pressure coming out.into the downpipe. The full exhaust from the downpipe to the dual exhaust from Jay's car is with me right now. I have noticed that the checkvalve allows air in both direction. That is the reason I told Mark .. "that could have contributed to the demise of Jay's built engine". That was a wild guess on my end but I believe was not farfetched.

Last edited by gerrb; 03-04-14 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 09:09 PM
BAD954BOI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm trying to understand does the catch can setup that run from both sides of the valve cover and vent back into the turbo through the inducer side.. Should be the right way of doing it?

Because it would pull the pressure from the crank case.. Or am I wrong?
Old 03-05-14, 02:40 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
So I'm trying to understand does the catch can setup that run from both sides of the valve cover and vent back into the turbo through the inducer side.. Should be the right way of doing it?

Because it would pull the pressure from the crank case.. Or am I wrong?
Yes , that is one way .. another way which some does is route those lines from the valve covers to the downpipe through a one way valve which many dragster does . Using venturi principle, a small tube on the downpipe will help draw out those combustion gases from the crankcase.

The idea is , both the vacuum created by the turbo inducer while it is spinning and the gush of air from the exhaust (venturi principle) helps pull the pressure from the crank case. Not only that , it also becomes a scavenging system meaning it removes particulates like moisture, acid vapors, gas vapors, the gasses that get by your rings from blow by.

For those routing the line back to the turbo, you have to make sure that you have a good catch can that can really separate the blowby gases from oil / liquid otherwise you will be returning oil / liquid through your turbo compressor , intercooler piping . For those using the venturi priinciple on the downpipe for scavenging , got to make sure that the checkvalve you put into that downpipe is good (they have tendency to break) otherwise , instead of evacuating crankcase pressure , you maybe introducing exhaust gases into the block .

It completely does make sense to me. Those two methods help pull out crankcase pressure and serves as an excavation or scavenging system. If there is no scavenging system like those two , then your catch can is simply an oil collector while the pressure gets out of the filter of your catch can. That simply is a breather system. It is not as effective as the two methods previously mentioned.

I might be wrong, but I believe some even intentionally install a vacuum system to pull out crankcase pressure and for scavenging.

Last edited by gerrb; 03-05-14 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-05-14, 08:04 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome Gerry! Thanks for explaining. this make a lot of sense now. Sense my buddy got a few of these catch cans cut, we will make another one that will recirculate back into the intake pipe and of course have a nice baffling system in it. Do you by chance have any pics or diagrams of a good baffle system for recirculating?

Quick Reply: 8052JZ's NA-T Build