Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No problem man, will get them later today
Old 11-01-12, 02:11 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Default Supercharger Pictures!!!

ok so here they are, the pictures of my new supercharger...
Attached Thumbnails Maynanator's 1uz supercharged Build-photo-5-.jpg   Maynanator's 1uz supercharged Build-photo-4-.jpg   Maynanator's 1uz supercharged Build-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 11-01-12, 02:17 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Scary400, in the last picture can you see how neither the roundness of the 1uz throttle or the width of the m112 port are really used? I feel that this will greatly hinder airflow. so, I have two ideas... either modify the bracket so that the opening fits the m112 side better (easier imo) or buy a throttle body and intake manifold for a cobra and wire it in (harder of the two, and probably more expensive). The only reasons I could see going with the second option are 1 my o.c.d. and 2 the extra flow/ability to bolt on a KB big oval later on. I think for now I'm going to run it this way until the car is running, from there I will go one route or the other...
Old 11-01-12, 02:18 PM
food7373
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome.....
Old 11-01-12, 02:20 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Thanks man, I'm stoked to get this on my car!
Old 11-01-12, 06:01 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok im curious. i'll suscribe.
Old 11-01-12, 07:35 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Hey anybody have experience with a supercharger install... I'm trying to figure out what to do with al the lines and such...
Old 11-02-12, 10:37 AM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maynanator
Scary400, in the last picture can you see how neither the roundness of the 1uz throttle or the width of the m112 port are really used? I feel that this will greatly hinder airflow. so, I have two ideas... either modify the bracket so that the opening fits the m112 side better (easier imo) or buy a throttle body and intake manifold for a cobra and wire it in (harder of the two, and probably more expensive). The only reasons I could see going with the second option are 1 my o.c.d. and 2 the extra flow/ability to bolt on a KB big oval later on. I think for now I'm going to run it this way until the car is running, from there I will go one route or the other...
Oh my, you weren't exaggerating about the intake adapter. No offense meant to the previous owner, but it looks like a major shortcut was taken there.

First idea I had upon seeing the image, and what I think is your idea as well, is to use a round to oval transition (see pics below). Remove the current pipe, keep the flanges (assuming the round flange matches the SC throttle body), and weld the transition to each side. These transitions are available online, but you can make your own relatively easily. One issue is that tubing large enough to be flattened into the oval shape to match the M112 inlet may be too large for the SC's throttle body. If so a reducer may need to be added to the setup as well.

In the end a Cobra supercharger elbow and an oval throttle body may be the best choice, however the solution above isn't much different short of the extra reducer to meet the SC throttle body (should it be necessary and will be removed later if you go for a larger throttle body) as even the Cobra elbow and oval throttle is going to require a transition from round to oval, just in a different spot (from intake pipe to throttle instead of from throttle to supercharger).

Maynanator's 1uz supercharged Build-7d8f0.png

Maynanator's 1uz supercharged Build-havxt.png

Hey anybody have experience with a supercharger install... I'm trying to figure out what to do with al the lines and such...
Do you have a workshop manual? If not let me know and I'll pm one to you. That plus the TRD Tundra supercharger install manual should allow you to extrapolate what they say to do with the lines and use that for this install. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you the TRD manual and the workshop manual if you need it too.

Last edited by SCary400; 11-02-12 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-02-12, 11:40 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Hey SCary400, if I remember correctly Lextreme was the man who did most of the fab work for this, I think his plan was to port the supercharger to match... problem is that wouldn't work too well considering the amount of material that would need to be taken away (plus the cost would be a little on the high side).
Old 11-02-12, 12:48 PM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey SCary400, if I remember correctly Lextreme was the man who did most of the fab work for this, I think his plan was to port the supercharger to match... problem is that wouldn't work too well considering the amount of material that would need to be taken away (plus the cost would be a little on the high side).
Yeah I figured that out when I saw your pictures and recognized the writing on the bottom of the manifold. I don't know if this adapter was his idea though as his original write up included the Cobra elbow (although admittedly I have no pursued the forum posts on his build). Porting is an idea but has disadvantages and I think the round to oval transition is much better. Air likes transitions more than sudden 90* turns from an inlet suddenly changing shape. There would be quite a bit of turbulence and stalling of air in the corners to the left and right of the round inlet as the air spreads to the corners. I doubt it is a huge amount, but it is a restriction. Below is a crude drawing of what I mean. Green air in the middle continues forward toward the middle of the inlet, red air at the edges moves into low pressure areas not in the path of the flow. I'm at home and don't have CFD to model this, but the idea is the same.

Maynanator's 1uz supercharged Build-2bwcs.jpg
Old 11-02-12, 12:58 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

I get what your saying, I didn't think it through that deeply. Ok will get updates on monday as soon as I take the adapter to the machine shop.
Old 03-19-13, 06:36 AM
that92sc
Driver School Candidate

what kind of supercharger is this, i have a 1992 sc400 that id like to supercharge with its stock internals......any ideas?
Old 03-19-13, 10:29 AM
x83slider
Driver School Candidate

I like where this is going
Old 03-22-13, 08:35 PM
Zenny
Driver School Candidate

i would love to do this is this a better route then turboing the sc400?
Old 03-24-13, 12:49 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

that92sc: m112 modified to fit (what I believe is) a richwood manifold

Zenny: if by better you mean easier, more reliable, and less expensive, then yes

Quick Reply: Maynanator's 1uz supercharged Build