Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

KingPhilipII's Blue Flame

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 04:35 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
Thanks for sharing, enjoyed reading up on the journey you've made with your SC thus far.

Your detailing skills definitely did the M.I.P. justice, the paint looks worlds better than when you first got it!
You said it bro... When I first got it the paint was so grimy and felt so rough, and there were bird poops everywhere, and there were a lot of uneven parts...

Originally Posted by BSanders22
Great work dude! The new wheels and stance are killer! Keep it up!
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by ashtray
Can give some details as to what the ride is like on the MAX coilovers?
Well, like I said, this is my first time lowering my own car. So I don't know any better, but I asked raine to test drive it last Sunday so I can get a more fair review, 'cause he got Tein with EDFC on his, and he said it was at the boundary of being stiff and comfortable ride... There were times when he'd cringe going over rough part of the roads but he said it rides great when the road wasn't so bad... But me being a previous SUV/truck guy, I kinda liked it. It's not really stiff for me, but dips and bumps on the road going over 45mph would make it rebound a little bit hard at my ride height.

Originally Posted by chnk
holy crap, those coilovers get low, jealous
You have no idea. The pic with the wheels tucking, was half the height of the coils when we first put it in and off the jackstands. I can say that it was ridiculously low.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
coming along nicely!!
Thanks man! All positive comments are greatly appreciated as I invested a lot of time and money getting everything right...

Last edited by OG Dada; 04-11-12 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 09:43 PM
AlphaMotor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way da hustle King!
Old 04-11-12, 09:46 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At exact max coils did you get?
Old 04-11-12, 10:02 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlphaMotor
Way da hustle King!
Thanks Alpha! I love your interior build too! I'm so in love with all black interior... Keep us posted...

Originally Posted by ashtray
At exact max coils did you get?
There's only one kind for SC's.. JZZ31,JZA80 MAX Competition Coilovers 18/12 kg

http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?9
Old 04-12-12, 03:17 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellence @ its finest
Old 04-12-12, 09:16 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
Excellence @ its finest
LOL! Thank you sir! But my SC is still far from perfection...

Paint has different shades, a lot of rock chips on the front bumper and hood, dings here and there, some serious scratches everywhere, and some more minor mechanical tuning needed... I plan on getting the whole body repainted when I get kitted. I'm not really into aero body kits as I don't drift or race, nor do I plan on boosting, probably in 10 years if you ask me. I wanna get a body kit as close to the '97+ as possible, so I might go the AC/Shine Auto Project way in the future. Just to gain a tad bit of lower than the '97+. I have some more repairs coming up in the next couple of weeks that I'll surely document this time around, so stay tuned.
Old 04-12-12, 01:23 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lookin good Phil. 8J5 for life.
Old 04-12-12, 04:21 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TougeSC3
Lookin good Phil. 8J5 for life.
Thanks my 8J5 brother. Need to update what's going on with your SC bro.
Old 04-12-12, 05:29 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Very nicely done man. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-12-12, 06:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Neat pic, love the color.
Old 04-12-12, 06:36 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Very nicely done man. Keep up the good work!
Thank you so much man! Positive feedback from veterans are greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Neat pic, love the color.
Funny you'd notice this pic... I followed your DIY on opening them up and cleaning them, not to mention all the other DIY's you made that applied to my car problems... Thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-12-12, 09:07 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

daniel, your sc just gets better and better. good stuff.
Old 04-12-12, 10:41 PM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Nice writeup, pics, car looksgreat. Front shots of the car are impressive, looks mean!

Last edited by Carbon J; 04-12-12 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 11:23 PM
ShiftyD2k
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOVE IT!

I would do mod like your headlight but i'm too chicken cut the electric wire lol
Old 04-12-12, 11:26 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Unhappy Trials & tribulations.

Originally Posted by TheKevin
daniel, your sc just gets better and better. good stuff.
Thanks Kev! Installing those coils wouldn't have been possible without you and Ray's help...

Originally Posted by ajayssc40093
Nice writeup, pics, car looksgreat. Front shots of the car are impressive, looks mean!
Thanks bro! Appreciate it!

Like any other builds, nothing ever goes as planned. More likely, there's always something that's gonna set you back most of the time, and on my experience it's usually that last piece of bolt or nut...LOL I was only able to gather a few pics of those "things" that almost made me give up on this, or brought a major set back to the whole thing... I just wanna post these few more pics to remind everyone that nothing ever comes easy... But, you always gotta keep on going for something you love.

Guess what happened here?

I wasn't able to get this on camera, 'cause everything happened so fast and since this is my only car, I had to get it back on the road as quickly as possible. And until this day I'm still wondering how in the hell did the lower control arm separated from the hub without any sign of damage on the balljoint nor the threads where the nut is supposed to hold on to...

Some people might have seen this already from a different thread. But after a couple of days of driving on my newly installed coilovers, I kept on hearing a loud clunk in the front driver side evrytime I'd go over bumps... I drove my SC for a couple more days with this weird clunking sound, until I had time to check it out, and the only sign I can see that there was something wrong was this;

See how the left side's damper adjustment's pointing around 1 o-clock? And the right side pointing straight up to 12 o'clock.

Soon as we removed the wheel off the car, this sight surprised all of us to what have happened and what was causing that loud clunk...

The damper was completely damaged by the lock ring and had to be replaced entirely. But one thing that made a lot of difference and caused this problem was that, PBM's changed their dampers to an inch shorter damper, since a lot of people always wanna get that "lowest of the low" set up, and since there was no way to see where the end of the damper was we had no idea that there were only a few threads holding on to it.

They had to swap out all the dampers on my set so I can have more height option to it, plus even with the longer damper they usually provide you can still slam the car dead on the ground. PBM's never charged me for anything, and good thing nothing bad happened during the time I was still using the car. Now, before ordering from PBM's make sure to ask for the longer dampers for your SC just to make sure they're sending you the correct one.

I'm telling you all this to inform you and not in any way to ruin PBM's reputation as I have nothing but great experience with them. I believe they were just not aware of how low the shorter dampers go, because people always ask for that ridiculous low.

Another thing that I strongly recommend is changing your steering rack bushings as long as your SC is above 100,xxx miles.

Need I say more? You don't need to feel anything different to do this, this is a must.

And lastly, a before...

And after...

Pics of detailing my Midnight Indigo Pearl paint job.

Thank you all for the positive feedback, will update as I go...

Last edited by OG Dada; 05-10-12 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: KingPhilipII's Blue Flame