Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-16, 02:51 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I like it, that's great info for others I have not been able to confirm the vvti side of things with the the tt ecu mod but it sounds like it should work out nicely.
Since there really isn't a twin turbo option for GE motors none of the twin vsv's should matter though like you said, just like on the non vvti version. I was also not sure of the differences between the vvti GE auto trans vvti GTE auto trans. it makes sense to use the GTE one though for holding more power.
The vvti wiring has alot of similarities to the non vvti version actually, if you are single and manual you pretty much only have to add very little, and bonus is on the vvti no need to mess with ignition unless you want more than the vvti coilpacks. those should work for alot of peoples power goals, but I am guessing down the line probably not yours =)

I think its a good plan, get it all happy and communicating with what you have and then add the boost later when you are ready.
I would put that drain fitting on the oil pan while its out though, everything else is easy to do in the car.
will be nice to see you coming over to the light side, with a pretty sweet vvti head setup also.
Post pics of the head swap, I myself have been wanting to go back to high compression w/ vvti head on my current block when E85 time comes around.
Old 09-25-16, 09:25 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

The VVTi GE auto trans is different from the VVTi GTE Auto trans. the GE have less shift solenoids . It's pinning on the trans connectors that is different that is why you need to do some repinning if one would use a VVTi GTE auto trans.

Yeah , I will get the ground work ready for Forced Induction while I get that NA-T car ready ... installing an oil return fitting on the upper pan, replace water pump, modified oil pump , timing belt and whatever is necessary like I will install ARP rod bolts , ARP Main Studs and ARP Head Studs. It will be an NA-T side project being my 5th SC. It will be sweet to say that I have an NA-T in the mix with 10.5:1 compression that is fueled with corn. It is all about the aftermarket ECU tuning on these high compression engines aside from making sure the internals can handle the pressure. So am definitely going ahead with it since I got everything to get the damn car running except the Forced Induction parts.
Old 09-27-16, 02:42 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I just caught up on the last couple of pages. Gerry, the inspection exempt 1992 --> 2000 --> NA-T VVT-i E85 project sounds awesome! Yeah, take your time with it. You've got plenty to work on right now as it is However that will be very cool! What about that spare turbo you showed me in one of your trunks? Would that work or did you have that earmarked for one of the GTE engines? I think Ali mentioned a turbo with a quick spool valve... that would be cool! Or a twin scroll single turbo!

I'm not sure how you're going to convince your wife about keeping one more project SC but since you have so many keeper cars and salvage shells already maybe just parting out what you don't need and clearing them out might do it, haha ;D

Really, I think that's going to be a great car. You may well be comparing that one when it's finished to the simple stock GTE RM2 car I liked which you changed the body kit on recently. Since... you know... they aren't pushing the insane power of your other cars. I could be wrong though... you'll probably break 500whp with your NA-T before long ;D

Your notes on the 1998-2000 wiring hits on a very good point. When I first met up with the guys at Grip Industries in Florida and was talking potential swaps with them they were also telling me that later models with 2JZ-GE VVT-i engines were easier to do the harnesses for all xJZ-GTE VVT-i engines. It makes a good case for a simpler 1JZ VVT-i Auto conversion to a 98+ SC300, doesn't it? I know you're not personally interested in 1JZ's Gerry. Just curious.

Looking forward to see the next progress! Also... any of your firsthand experience once the Grannas Magnum is delivered to you.
Old 09-27-16, 08:41 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I just caught up on the last couple of pages. Gerry, the inspection exempt 1992 --> 2000 --> NA-T VVT-i E85 project sounds awesome! Yeah, take your time with it. You've got plenty to work on right now as it is However that will be very cool!
I will really be very busy for a while . It will be a cool side project , NA-T . Why not ..since every thing to get the car running , basically is free . Well, I just finished completely tearing apart one of the 3 salvage vehicles. Imagine doing this to the other two , then the 1992 , then installing everything from the 2000 to the 1992 . I know I have torn apart 4 of these SCs in the past just like this and it takes a lot of time and a lot of bruises on your knuckles . I am done with the 38k miles car and since a lot of its parts are same with that of the 2000, I will use many parts into the 1992 so what I put in that car are really low mileage parts. Everything like ABS , Brake Master and even the small things will be like new.

When I tear them apart , nothing is left just like this .

Name:  20160927_101843_zps7rjznoe5.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  339.9 KB

Name:  20160927_101909_zpsyswluvr5.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  311.2 KB

I have even taken out the doors of the 38k mile SC300 and installed them on the 1992 so all its parts are new. Window regulators and side mirrors are a bit different on the newer SC300s. Every wire on the 1992 is gonna be replaced so those had to be replaced too. Every other part I have laying around like old seats and all others I will dump inside this car so they can be towed out.

Name:  20160927_181829_zpsknr0mxj8.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  323.4 KB

Name:  20160927_181836_zpsuyor0cti.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  298.0 KB

What about that spare turbo you showed me in one of your trunks? Would that work or did you have that earmarked for one of the GTE engines? I think Ali mentioned a turbo with a quick spool valve... that would be cool! Or a twin scroll single turbo!
Sssshhhh . That was meant for the Red Mamba One once it has the Tremec Magnum 6speed . That should push that car to 1000-1100 rwhp . The one that is in there now a PT-6870 can make it but that one has a tad more steam up there. Red Mamba One has direct port nitrous so spooling a turbo won't be a problem. Besides that turbo is perfect for it. Enough to get it where I want it without being so big thus it wont be laggy or lazy.

I'm not sure how you're going to convince your wife about keeping one more project SC but since you have so many keeper cars and salvage shells already maybe just parting out what you don't need and clearing them out might do it, haha ;D
Once the 3 salvage cars are out , I guess I will be fine . Telling her that I am adding a vehicle to our insurance and registrations is what I will have to figure out . That is why I am working my butt tearing them apart to get those salvage shells out of my place where you went so that place won't look like a chop chop place having 7 SCs.

Really, I think that's going to be a great car. You may well be comparing that one when it's finished to the simple stock GTE RM2 car I liked which you changed the body kit on recently. Since... you know... they aren't pushing the insane power of your other cars. I could be wrong though... you'll probably break 500whp with your NA-T before long ;D
Well , I think so too , it won't be insane just like my other cars . I just want to show many that you don't have to spend that much if all you want is a 500-600rwhp capable car. The stock 2jzGE internals can very well handle it as long as you have a very healthy engine. The most important thing is an AFTERMARKET ECU and a good tune. Though the least I will suggest is ARP Head studs . But I am installing ARP rod and main studs . They are cheap insurances too. Even a stock TT Auto trans can handle 450-550 as long as you don't abuse it like going to the drag strip , launching it hard from red lights , having a good tranny fluid cooling system, etc. . Well, Ali had mentioned this many times in many threads so I don't have to repeat how strong a healthy stock 2jzGE engine can be and all you need are bolt ons and a good engine management system so it can be tuned to a point that its high compression can be taken advantage without sacrificing reliability.

You should see that RM2 with the all 97+ oem body kit. It looks as good when you saw it as 92 look. Just a bit modern.

Your notes on the 1998-2000 wiring hits on a very good point. When I first met up with the guys at Grip Industries in Florida and was talking potential swaps with them they were also telling me that later models with 2JZ-GE VVT-i engines were easier to do the harnesses for all xJZ-GTE VVT-i engines. It makes a good case for a simpler 1JZ VVT-i Auto conversion to a 98+ SC300, doesn't it? I know you're not personally interested in 1JZ's Gerry. Just curious..
Yes .. I will suggest for those who wants a 2JZGTE swap ... get a vvti 2jzgte swap then that 98-2000 sc300 vvti harness . You are right about the 1JZ VVT-i . They all have very similar connectors and wiring.

Looking forward to see the next progress! Also... any of your firsthand experience once the Grannas Magnum is delivered to you.
I already bought the Tremec Magnum Level 5 Build for $5200 that can handle +900 ft. lbs of torque. With a bellhousing and shifter , I will be at $6300 for the trans. You know I am replacing Black Pearl V160 6speed trans with one of my new V160 since I want a new one with the 3.4liter stroker motor so I sold the old V160 for $6000 . The guy from SF has paid me but being from NJ , he has yet to pick it up . He is happy about the purchase cause they are hard to find and on ebay , damn V160 are sold for $7500 second hand by JDM dealers now. So I just had to add $300 .....from a second hand Getrag V160 to Tremec Magnum Level 5 Build. And you know it is BRAND NEW and on paper even rated higher in torque capabilities. I have yet to get the bellhousing , shifter , driveshaft , mount and clutch. So no hands on experience yet . But I don't see any problem since it is a drop in affair.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-27-16 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 09:44 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Having gone through the wiring of the SC300s with VVTi motors yesterday for which are found on 98-2000 models and which I have the 2000 model, there are things I would like to say :

1) If you want a 2JZGTE VVTi swap into your SC300 ,get the 98-2002 SC300 2JZGE VVTi engine harness and you have very little work to do. You don't need to spend +1000 USD for a swap harness. Most of the differences are on the pin locations for the auto transmission and missing VSVs for the turbo components of the 2jzGTE. If you are going manual and single , you don't even need all that. A few items needed though like MAP sensor wiring... not really much . That saves a lot of money for a 2JZGTE swap project !

2) If you are going NA-T after converting your bottom end to the older 2JZGE internals since they are stronger , there is very little wiring work needed if you use the VVTi TT ECU and if you want to use the VVTi TT Auto transmissions , repinning is most of the work that need to be done. I will say 95% of the wiring harness of the VVTi SC300 is exactly the same with the harness I did for a 2JZGTE VVTi on my SC300 using the VVTi TT ECU.

I guess this INFO will help those wanting a 2JZGTE VVTi swap into their SC since the swap harness is one of the major cost involved. You don't need that ... get a 98-2000 SC300 VVTi engine harness ! There is very little work to do if you start with that harness !
This is great news for me since I have a 98. Would I lose the stock immobilizer completely if I were to switch over to the vvt-i tt engine and ecu?

Also, would you mind sharing which resource you use for all these wiring diagrams? I tried searching online, and I have found a few diagrams for the 1998-2000 SC, but I had no way to verify their accuracy. I was planning on buying a factory electrical wiring diagram on ebay once I'm closer to figuring out which path I'm going to take for my car.
Old 09-30-16, 05:03 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

There are VVTi 2jzgte ECUs with immobilizers also. It is up to you if you want to use one with or without . Just like in your SC that function is integrated into the ECU. So if you are using one with immobilizer , that ECU has to be flashed and programmed as far as my research indicates. I always used ECU with no immobilizer to minimize all the that work.

For wiring diagrams , I have a membership on the Toyota Information System (TIS) where you can download anything you want about Toyota and Lexus Cars. That is where I download the diagrams , analyze them so you can see the differences and similarities.
Old 09-30-16, 05:56 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

There are VVTi 2jzgte ECUs with immobilizers also. It is up to you if you want to use one with or without . Just like in your SC that function is integrated into the ECU. So if you are using one with immobilizer , that ECU has to be flashed and programmed as far as my research indicates. I always used ECU with no immobilizer to minimize all the that work.

For wiring diagrams , I have a membership on the Toyota Information System (TIS) where you can download anything you want about Toyota and Lexus Cars. That is where I download the diagrams , analyze them so you can see the differences and similarities.
Thanks for the information about the TIS. I didn't know there was a resource like that available to the public. Almost everyone in my family drives a Toyota or Lexus, so a subscription would be very useful for me.
Old 10-02-16, 01:16 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang.. been a while since i've checked this, no surprise you have more SC's !
Old 10-04-16, 06:04 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Thanks for the information about the TIS. I didn't know there was a resource like that available to the public. Almost everyone in my family drives a Toyota or Lexus, so a subscription would be very useful for me.
You are welcome .

Originally Posted by irondonkey
dang.. been a while since i've checked this, no surprise you have more SC's !
Hahaha ... next time you go to my place in that area .. you will see my place like a chop chop shop.

If there is anybody here from St. Louis MO and wanted a very low mileage 1992 SC400 with 55k miles. It is a donated vehicle probably by an old couple and it is on auction . It has some mechanical problem I have been told. What I see on the pictures is that the window regulator probably has a problem since mirror is taped for it not to fall. Interior looks like its 9 out of 10 same thing with exterior... very clean . You might want to inspect it . I think that car will go for $1000 or even less which include the fees. I am not a big fan of the 1UZFE or SC400 otherwise I will be all over that damn low mileage car ......just visit my aunts in St. Louis and tow that damn car back home .
Old 10-04-16, 03:41 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Lets see that Tremec already...ahaha
Old 10-05-16, 11:55 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are welcome .

Hahaha ... next time you go to my place in that area .. you will see my place like a chop chop shop.

If there is anybody here from St. Louis MO and wanted a very low mileage 1992 SC400 with 55k miles. It is a donated vehicle probably by an old couple and it is on auction . It has some mechanical problem I have been told. What I see on the pictures is that the window regulator probably has a problem since mirror is taped for it not to fall. Interior looks like its 9 out of 10 same thing with exterior... very clean . You might want to inspect it . I think that car will go for $1000 or even less which include the fees. I am not a big fan of the 1UZFE or SC400 otherwise I will be all over that damn low mileage car ......just visit my aunts in St. Louis and tow that damn car back home .
i won't be stopping by for a very long time. i moved man! i'm in southern california now!
Old 10-12-16, 04:23 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Lets see that Tremec already...ahaha
Still missing the $3k clutch and small things so that has to wait, I am broke as a joke right now. Also , I am very busy tearing apart 3 SCs so I can make my 4 2JZGTE SCs better and hoard parts for them. Am also putting together my side project... NA-T, to get it running soon . It is truly like assembling a car from scratch. I started with a totally blank 1992 SC shell. Replacing everything .. brake lines and ABS system, suspension, fuel lines, AC system , every bit of wiring, 97+ body kit, basically every bits and pieces from the 2000 SC300 car ... so it is a 2000 on a 1992 shell ... no more government mandated tests or inspections. I will modify the VVTi engine before installing it . I will mate a pre-VVTi short block to the VVTi head.

Originally Posted by irondonkey
i won't be stopping by for a very long time. i moved man! i'm in southern california now!
dang , what the hell are you doing there ? I will bet you soon you will be back in GA, lmaol. Cost of living in CA is more and tougher laws with performance cars.

Thanks for every one following this thread ... now over 700,000 views in 4 1/2 years since I started the thread in March 2012

Last edited by gerrb; 10-12-16 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 05:13 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for every one following this thread ... now over 700,000 views in 4 1/2 years since I started the thread in March 2012
yeah, coming up on 1 mil real quick. I think the site is gonna crash when you hit 1 mil, there aren't enough characters in the views column lol

and any luck lately with a stroker?
Old 10-12-16, 10:02 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Congrats on the 700k!! This thread has so much good info in it, might need to add an index soon
Old 10-12-16, 11:52 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

For the Black Pearl's 3.4l Stroker, am still collecting parts .. waiting for good deals on Ferrea parts for the Cylinder Head. Then I will get RealStreet Performance to build me the short block. Black Pearl is running anyway for now with a stock 2JZGTE VVTi 6speed drivetrain so it can wait for a good deal on Cylinder Head Parts.

Am glad if my build thread is able to help some people ! Maybe another 2 years or less , this thread will hit the 1 million views . That will be awesome !

Just got the 109k VVTi engine out . Still have another SC whose engine I need to take out so I can mate its non VVTi short block with the VVTi head for my NA-T side project. I did cut the front clip of this 2000 SC300 from the strut tower to the front lights cross member support , so if one of my SCs in the future will have a front collision I have an extra front clip .

Name:  20161012_141017_zps7hkv2yzb.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  378.6 KB

Here is the 38k engine I took out last week . Got a special plan for this engine .."Another 1 of 120 SC300 with a bad engine that might end up in my hands .... this engine will be perfect .....

Name:  20161012_141051_zpsbyxgwmpq.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  390.7 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 10-12-16 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys