Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

2008 ISF Audio Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-12, 10:39 PM
bigaudiofa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VERY sore and tired just got done about an hour ago. Will fill in on how to install the MS8 in one of these.

Sounds great does need some tuning however did not have the time tonight.
Old 01-09-12, 01:00 AM
FastPaced
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigaudiofa
VERY sore and tired just got done about an hour ago. Will fill in on how to install the MS8 in one of these.

Sounds great does need some tuning however did not have the time tonight.
I agree! For all who do not know, the IS-F belongs to me and it's amazing to have this system install by my good friend Matt (BigAudioFa,) and yes, this build took forever and left us no time to tune. Still a couple of minor issues that need to be worked out and of course, tuning. But overall, sounds a lot better than the ML system and NAV along with every other function in the car still works.
Old 01-09-12, 05:44 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Very nice job guys!
It's great to see underneath everything in the car too! So many parts.....

How many screws left over?
Old 01-09-12, 06:09 AM
StrykarISF
Rookie

Looking good. Nice job!
Old 01-09-12, 06:42 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FastPaced
I agree! For all who do not know, the IS-F belongs to me and it's amazing to have this system install by my good friend Matt (BigAudioFa,) and yes, this build took forever and left us no time to tune. Still a couple of minor issues that need to be worked out and of course, tuning. But overall, sounds a lot better than the ML system and NAV along with every other function in the car still works.
This is going to sound great with Dynamat put in and everything... no rattle I assume? Where in NY did you guys do this?
Old 01-09-12, 06:54 AM
bigaudiofa
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the complements, VtotheJ pm sent
Old 01-09-12, 07:45 AM
FastPaced
Rookie

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
This is going to sound great with Dynamat put in and everything... no rattle I assume? Where in NY did you guys do this?
There still is some minor rattle, but I'm collecting data on where exactly the rattles are coming from before I attempt to rip her apart again and dynamat some more.
Old 01-09-12, 08:44 AM
slowIST
Driver

Originally Posted by FastPaced
There still is some minor rattle, but I'm collecting data on where exactly the rattles are coming from before I attempt to rip her apart again and dynamat some more.
The 3rd brake light perhaps? I thought my rear deck shook so violently that it caused the brake light to tap the rear windshield. I've inspected it and realized that there was more than enough clearance between the light and the glass. The tapping sound was coming from the light assembly itself.

Other problem areas for me include: sunroof when tilted open, driver side sun visor, gas door, and license plate.
Old 01-09-12, 09:59 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

cant wait for more pics...this will help so much- THANKS a million!

cause the ML system just doesnt cut it

Last edited by NYC ES3; 01-09-12 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 10:13 AM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job guys... I imagine this was a giant PITA but expect that the final results will be amazing... few questions though... i see you put tweeters in at the midrange location, so what did you do at the original tweeter location (near the mirrors) and also what did you do in regards to the center speaker channel on the dash. How much of what you did is reversible... if you decide to one day trade or sell the car will all this equipment have to go along with it? Subscribed
Old 01-09-12, 10:15 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Can't wait to see and hear the final outcome.... Subscribed..
Old 01-09-12, 12:40 PM
bigaudiofa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IsFast3r
Great job guys... I imagine this was a giant PITA but expect that the final results will be amazing... few questions though... i see you put tweeters in at the midrange location, so what did you do at the original tweeter location (near the mirrors) and also what did you do in regards to the center speaker channel on the dash. How much of what you did is reversible... if you decide to one day trade or sell the car will all this equipment have to go along with it? Subscribed
1. Most of the things I have done are reversible. I kept all stock wiring in place and ran my own.
The rear speakers and center speaker wires had to be cut from the amp conector on the output side of the amp "pics explaining later" The only outputs I grabbed from the stock amp are the fallowing:

Left Front Low White +/ Red Wire -
Left Front Mid/High Brown +/ Pink -
Right Front Low Sky Blue +/ Orange -
Right Front Mid/High Black +/ Green -

These all were ran into the MS8, all other speaker outputs were CUT because they would still produce sound. The alternative would be to disconnect them, however the rear deck and center I did not explore.
NOTE These are the colors at the amp. I did verify each one of them using a volt meter at the other end "door wire" and they were the same color.
In order to setup and run the ms8 without a problem, the factory DSP was disabled through the menu.

2. The stock tweeters were left alone as to keep things looking factory. With some modifications you could easily run a 3 way setup if you prefer. I could of easily created tweeter pods if the customer had preferred. But he wanted them to remain as stock as possible.

Last edited by bigaudiofa; 01-09-12 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-10-12, 02:02 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default System

Just a question/observation

Doesnt the ML amp itself distribute the frequency content to each speaker -- ie. it has internal cross overs built in...so in essence even if you got the output from the ML amp for the front low & mid/high ...if it has crossovers built in wouldnt it still be cutting the low end per say on those speaker outputs and giving the low frequencies just to the rear deck subwoofer?
(which doesnt really pump that much bass - lets all face it)

So arent you feeding your amp whatever the ML amp would originally have been feeding those speakers outputs (that you now have rerouted to your amp)...where is even if summed together feeding your amp, the ML crossover would still not feed the low frequency to those outputs anyways...so you'd still be missing the low end frequency (100Hz and below) at the input to your amp?

as the ML only feeds the real BASS (according to Lexus that isnt too low) to the factory sub...so wouldnt getting your input from the ML amp output be in essence already giving you "pre- crossed over" processed music....so if there is no real lows(bass) in the output of the ML - you wont ever get those real lows that come from the original music --- like you would per say by getting your input directly from the Headunit (radio) before it gets to the ML amp to be processed cause then its all sliced and diced by the ML amp (crossover frequencies) so the bass goes to the sub, the mid bass goes to the door woofers, the mids go to the mid speakers and the highs go to the door tweets.

getting the feed direct from the Headunit in its raw form - wouldnt that give you all frequencies - not processed ? and feed your amp everything so you can then use your amp's crossovers to feed your component speakers and sub ?

just askin -or would the DSP stop that complete cross over process?...or just at certain speeds..

would be nice to get the feed from the HU

any insight is appreciated
Old 01-10-12, 03:05 PM
bigaudiofa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
Just a question/observation

Doesnt the ML amp itself distribute the frequency content to each speaker -- ie. it has internal cross overs built in...so in essence even if you got the output from the ML amp for the front low & mid/high ...if it has crossovers built in wouldnt it still be cutting the low end per say on those speaker outputs and giving the low frequencies just to the rear deck subwoofer?
(which doesnt really pump that much bass - lets all face it)

So arent you feeding your amp whatever the ML amp would originally have been feeding those speakers outputs (that you now have rerouted to your amp)...where is even if summed together feeding your amp, the ML crossover would still not feed the low frequency to those outputs anyways...so you'd still be missing the low end frequency (100Hz and below) at the input to your amp?

as the ML only feeds the real BASS (according to Lexus that isnt too low) to the factory sub...so wouldnt getting your input from the ML amp output be in essence already giving you "pre- crossed over" processed music....so if there is no real lows(bass) in the output of the ML - you wont ever get those real lows that come from the original music --- like you would per say by getting your input directly from the Headunit (radio) before it gets to the ML amp to be processed cause then its all sliced and diced by the ML amp (crossover frequencies) so the bass goes to the sub, the mid bass goes to the door woofers, the mids go to the mid speakers and the highs go to the door tweets.

getting the feed direct from the Headunit in its raw form - wouldnt that give you all frequencies - not processed ? and feed your amp everything so you can then use your amp's crossovers to feed your component speakers and sub ?

just askin -or would the DSP stop that complete cross over process?...or just at certain speeds..

would be nice to get the feed from the HU

any insight is appreciated
DSP actually can be shut off which is what we did. I do not think the amp cut out the frequencies you mentions as I told the subs to cut at 60Hz. IF they did I could simply add the sub to the input of the MS8 to also be summed. This would give you the "missing frequencies" However this was not the case as just the front inputs summed gave me a full input to work with.

So what I am saying is if you/I wanted to add the sub to the input of the MS8 to be summed it probably would not make any difference in what I have observed/heard. I will verify this in closer inspection when we get together again for fine tuning. Right now there is plenty of real bass for the owner to work with.

Sadly you can not tap the pre inputs of the OEM amp because everything including the bluetooth would be lost as that is all done internally inside them amp, you would also lose the control of volume from the head unit if you did this as all those commands are sent to the OEM amp.
Old 01-10-12, 03:28 PM
NERD42
Driver

looks great. thanks for all the pictures of the progress.

Quick Reply: 2008 ISF Audio Build