Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

Project Beater with a Heater ( $500 Lexus LS400)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 05:18 AM
RavenTai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this link, I have the printed manuals but its nice to have the PDF's especially when working, print out a copy of the relevant pages and get them as greasy as you want, toss em when the job is done.
Old 10-10-11, 03:31 PM
AirForceRa
Rookie

Starting to put the Lexus back together...

Put the grill back on

Getting the window and door trim figured out.

Putting the back seat and belts back together.

Was able to get the sun roof back in also.

There are a lot of missing parts. Like the head liner and some rubber door moldings.

Sometime next week Ill start working on the door windowsan motors an door panels. Deff not looking forward to the motors.
Old 10-25-11, 06:56 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Just wondering; Any progress?
Old 10-25-11, 09:55 AM
AirForceRa
Rookie

All my pics are on my phone. Ill post them later.

Last couple days I got all of the weather/rubber trim in/on the car. Still missing some peices here and there from the last owner trashing them. I mounted all the window motors in to find out I didnt have all the inside door rails to put the window in. So I came up with an idea to just have the windows fixed up in the closed position. I went to lowes and found what is kinda like a closet rod and wedged it in the door and under the windows. Works great!!! Sucks not having power windows but again this a a beater. Also got all the speakers in minus the left rear cuz it wasnt working. BALL'N on a BUDGET!

Also last night I sanded down the hood as the last owner wanted to paint it and write all over it. He use House hold enamel paint. three different colors. Orange White and Blue. It was a real PITA to get a lot of it off. Primred it and rattled canned it silver. Doesnt look the greatest but looks better then what it looked like. Also found a rear windshield at a junk yard for $150. Going to pick it up sometime this week and install it myself.

Now since everything I own I always mod. I got some 18inch 350Z rims for $200 which I will put on the Lexus also cut some nice 4inch chrome rolled exhuats tips off my room mates old cat-back off his GTO. I will have them welded on to the Lexus exhaust after I do the muffler delete. lol

I even drove the car to work today. Was funny driving through the front gate having open my door to give the guard my ID to get on base. lol
Old 10-25-11, 11:06 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

^ why was the car parted like that to begin with? there must be some reason. anywho glad you are sorting it all out. is this your first import?
Old 10-25-11, 12:53 PM
AirForceRa
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
^ why was the car parted like that to begin with? there must be some reason. anywho glad you are sorting it all out. is this your first import?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...p-a-ls400.html

Yup 1st Import. Im a big Muscle car guy so owning a V-8 RWD Import is ok.
Old 10-25-11, 01:24 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AirForceRa
Was funny driving through the front gate having open my door to give the guard my ID to get on base. lol
The base is alot worse then doing that at some drive thru to get your food. I did that once while doing some construction work at the sub base here in Ct., the Sgt. said "You aren't driving that on my base". I took the day off. Lol
Thanks for the update, it'll be done one of these days.
Old 10-26-11, 09:29 AM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you plans for the car after you put it all together?
Old 10-26-11, 09:42 AM
AirForceRa
Rookie

Originally Posted by bauceLS400
What are you plans for the car after you put it all together?
Pretty much make it my DD. I already have two races cars in the garage. Ill have some fun with this car tho just as I do with all the cars Ive owned. Like said in an earlier post I already have some rims lined up and plan on doing some exhuast work and maybe custom make some type of Cold Air Intake. Oh and if I can get a good deal on some lowering springs that be added also.
Old 10-26-11, 08:26 PM
AirForceRa
Rookie

Pics of how the car is now. Like Said will be picking up the rear windshield this week and then installing it myself.

Hood before pic. Took a couple hours to sand mostof the paint.

Sanded down the bestI could do.

A coat of primer

Just rattle can silver. Didnt let the primer dry cuz it was getting late.

Didnt come out the greatest but much better then the crap the old owner did with the different colors of house paint he put on the hood.
Old 10-27-11, 06:37 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AirForceRa
Didnt come out the greatest
That's putting it lightly. Even if you bring the hood to a paint shop the car is still well worth what you paid. Just bring the pics of how it looked from the other guy so they don't laugh at you. Nah, it looks 90% better then what it was. The rest is coming out pretty good also. Are you still having fun putting it together or is it now just a job? Keep up the good work.
Old 10-27-11, 09:37 AM
AirForceRa
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
That's putting it lightly. Even if you bring the hood to a paint shop the car is still well worth what you paid. Just bring the pics of how it looked from the other guy so they don't laugh at you. Nah, it looks 90% better then what it was. The rest is coming out pretty good also. Are you still having fun putting it together or is it now just a job? Keep up the good work.
Im having a blast. There were times I was getting frustrated cuz I had no idea where some of the parts went but all in all its been fun. Most fun is driving the car. Yesturday I took it to my buddies shop to get a new front drivers side tire and an alingment. The drivers side front tire had some bad outside wear. I was just hopping that the alingment was out. Come to find out that both front upper control arms are bad. So add more parts to the list.
Old 10-27-11, 02:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

given the cost and outlook of this build, and that I doubt you want to go spend $800 on a pair on new upper control arms, i suggest you go troll your local yards
Old 10-27-11, 03:00 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
given the cost and outlook of this build, and that I doubt you want to go spend $800 on a pair on new upper control arms, i suggest you go troll your local yards
I would try the JY too, as long as you can find some good ones.
I saw these, is Dorman any good? Lifetime warranty. http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...le+Model|LS400
I've never seen the "SL" at the bottom of that page, they look pretty darn cheap. I think I would trust used before those.
Old 10-30-11, 07:02 PM
AirForceRa
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Im with ya! Ill deff look into the yards 1st.

Originally Posted by deanshark
I would try the JY too, as long as you can find some good ones.
I saw these, is Dorman any good? Lifetime warranty. http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...le+Model|LS400
I've never seen the "SL" at the bottom of that page, they look pretty darn cheap. I think I would trust used before those.
Ya Ive seen these also. Will see what I find.

Quick Reply: Project Beater with a Heater ( $500 Lexus LS400)