JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another guy putting in work! Bra!
Old 06-25-11, 12:17 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up for the work your're putting into this. It sure gonna be a nice car when you're done. I have the same point of view of you saying that you know what have been done to it and you know what new parts you have installed etc. Thats always the best. Old car with new parts
Old 06-25-11, 04:10 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Rishi, If you're thinking of actually breaking those wheel locks off, don't do it! Use a removal tool or go to a tire store; they can get them off for you. Physically "breaking" the locks off will damage the wheel and break the stud too. If I misunderstood your use of the term "break", I apologize. Sometimes, wheel stud replacement requires removal of the hub involved.
Old 06-25-11, 08:59 AM
rishi
Rookie

Originally Posted by RA40

This is a good learning experience and yes, props for keeping this one on the road. I hate to think of them getting smashed like beer cans to be recycled.
Thanks... im going to do some paint work now while i wait for the Rack & Pinion and converters to come in

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
Thumbs up for the work your're putting into this. It sure gonna be a nice car when you're done. I have the same point of view of you saying that you know what have been done to it and you know what new parts you have installed etc. Thats always the best. Old car with new parts
Agree... once i get this transmission rebuilt, which is fine right now but would like to get it done sometime in the near future it will be a fairly new car mechanically... of course other stuff isn't, but that's what you get to do in between the big jobs..

Originally Posted by robert1408
Hey Rishi, If you're thinking of actually breaking those wheel locks off, don't do it! Use a removal tool or go to a tire store; they can get them off for you. Physically "breaking" the locks off will damage the wheel and break the stud too. If I misunderstood your use of the term "break", I apologize. Sometimes, wheel stud replacement requires removal of the hub involved.
Robert, yeah that's what i mean, with a lock removal tool... im going to borrow one from a buddy of mine. haha wouldn't just strip those things off.

I have a 06 GS that i drive everyday, this i just picked up cause i got a really good deal on the car, then i looked for a motor and one after the other things just fell into place... once i'm done. im thinking i'll be $4500 in it but with a great reliable cruiser.
Old 06-25-11, 09:11 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

At the beginning of this thread I was thinking " why not just buy a newer car instead of rebuilding this one" but now after seeing how little you paid for it, I change my mind. Excellent deal on the car, newer engine, and all the parts. I'm sure you could "break" off the old lugnuts but that can cause future problems. I needed to get mine off after I bought my car, I just brought the car to the dealer and ordered a new locking key but I'm sure they would take them off for you if ya toss the guy ten bucks. But then again, the car's not running yet and ya need to get them off. Whatever way ya do it, be careful, you don't need more work. Good job with all the work you did and you're doing, I like seeing an LS come back to life.
Old 06-25-11, 09:29 AM
rishi
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
At the beginning of this thread I was thinking " why not just buy a newer car instead of rebuilding this one" but now after seeing how little you paid for it, I change my mind. Excellent deal on the car, newer engine, and all the parts. I'm sure you could "break" off the old lugnuts but that can cause future problems. I needed to get mine off after I bought my car, I just brought the car to the dealer and ordered a new locking key but I'm sure they would take them off for you if ya toss the guy ten bucks. But then again, the car's not running yet and ya need to get them off. Whatever way ya do it, be careful, you don't need more work. Good job with all the work you did and you're doing, I like seeing an LS come back to life.
Thanks! really wasn't in the market for buying another car, however this deal just came up and i saw the inside of the car which was really clean and nice, and i always loved this body style. more than any others, it has that classic look. so i thought what the heck.. buy it. glad i did, during the tear down i saw that the AC Compressor was new, so that was a plus. living in Texas AC is very important. also the michelinswere brand new! MXV4 series, real nice quiet tires.

About the locks.. yeah i can buy the set from Lexus but its just to expensive.. i dont plan on keeping them so im just going to remove them and just keep regular lugnuts.. i hate messing with those locks anyway, whenever you need to do brakes or change tires.. its annoying. who is going to steal these rims anyway???
Old 06-25-11, 09:33 AM
rishi
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you got that car for 1500?

damn
that's pretty good even for a rolling chassis, less motor.
yup! $1400. has the original Sticker too, and all the books. 2 owner i believe.
Old 06-25-11, 09:43 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

That's awesome about the A/C being new, they're real expensive, and yes ya do need the A/C. I traded mine off for heat this past winter, I needed to drain the A/C to change the heater core, now I'm kickin myself in the ***. True about the lugnuts, who want those rims. Just kiddin My neighborhood I need them even for the cheap stock rims, but the tires are worth more.
Old 06-25-11, 01:24 PM
rishi
Rookie

Okay, so i forgot to take some pictures of the dings on the passenger door before i pulled them out and started covering them with urethane filler... i also am taking off the front bumper and going to repaint it as well.. lots of chips and stuff on it so would like to repaint it to look fresh, everything else around the car looks good.. just a small dent on the hood which im not going to address at this time.. you can't tell, and only i can cause i inspected it before starting the body work...
Attached Thumbnails 1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0773.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0774.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0775.jpg  
Old 06-26-11, 08:01 PM
rishi
Rookie

Hey guys... i got a questions since others are more knowledgable about the LS... is there anything else i should be looking for while im in the process of fixing this one up... anything you guys might have came across during your ownership, any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-26-11, 11:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

strut rods, engine mounts, trans mount, trans seal, rear engine main seal, valve cover gaskets, starter if you're really paranoid, and that's about it.
Old 06-27-11, 02:52 AM
waseem3000
Rookie

Default I guess more can be added

Camshaft seals, crankshaft seals, spark plug gaskets, lower arm bushings, strut rod bushings, ball joints and UCAs (check if faulty). Thats about all I think I changed besides PD mentioned and I have more than 155k. And check the tensioner of the serpentine belt also to be sure.
Old 06-27-11, 03:56 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

cam seals are a whole other deal, you have to take the cams off to get to them.

LBJ and UCA/LCA bushings are really as needed maint. issues not chronic ones.
Old 06-27-11, 07:06 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rishi
Hey guys... i got a questions since others are more knowledgable about the LS... is there anything else i should be looking for while im in the process of fixing this one up... anything you guys might have came across during your ownership, any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
I was thinking you should change the crank seal, front and rear, and the tranny seal but you already have the engine in. (would have better and easier while out) Just look around, ya have the lift, check out all the suspension parts and bushings. Check the bushings good b/c even if they look good, sometimes they're not. Good job so far going together nice. I still can't believe the deal you got.
Old 06-27-11, 08:24 PM
rishi
Rookie

good call.. wish i did that while the engine was out.. but i ordered the parts yesterday. I got my rack and pinion in today (remanufactured) so im going to go ahead and to the crank seals and tranny seal along with the rack & pinion tomorrow. Also gonna check out the brakes and may do the pads also as well...

turned out to be a pretty nice project. great learning experience for me. really wish i had gotten yalls feedback right before starting this project.

Quick Reply: 1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,