Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Nine Types of Lexus Paint--Interesting

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-03, 08:49 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Nine Types of Lexus Paint--Interesting

I've read through and participated in many debates on which colors are clear-coated and which are not. This morning, while reading through a TSB on 1996 paint colors (I'm looking to have some scuffs on my bumper airbrushed), I see that there are 9 types of Lexus paint, and it listed which codes fall under which category. I didn't have time to read through the ones for 1997-03, but I'm guessing they're similar, since many of the paint codes (e.g. 202 for Black Onyx) remain in use today.

The nine types listed:

I. Solid Color-no clearcoat (202 Black Onyx)
II. Metallic/Mica Color-clearcoat
III. MIO color-two clearcoats
IV. PIO color-two clearcoats
V. Pearl Mica color-one clearcoat (color coat, pearl base, clear)--(i.e. Diamond White Pearl)
VI. Flake Pthalocyanine color--two clearcoats
VII. Solid Color--tinted clearcoat
VIII. Solid Color--no clearcoat (again lists 202 Black Onyx, not sure how it differs from type I.)
IX. Metallic Mica Color--clearcoat (the chart show all of the primer and substrate layers, too, this must differentiate it from type II).

The link to the pdf in the Library section of CL:
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2125/1/115/

Hope this information helps to settle debates on which Zaino products to use on which color, etc And I'm not sure if the varying substrates have anything to do with the durability of certain colors, e.g., the complaints from many members about "soft paint" and excessive rock chipping of the front end as compared to other vehicles. I'll often read a complaint from an SC430 owner that their only-driven weekends SC with 5000 miles has more rock chips than their daily driver whatever with 75K miles.
Old 07-30-03, 11:29 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's very good info there, nice work.

The substrates likely do have an effect on how chip resistant the paint will be, as well as the paint itself. I notice on my pearl GS, the hood chips much easier than the urethane bumper. Something to do with the elastofier (flex agent) in the paint on the bumper is my guess, and perhaps slightly softer, with more "give" than what's on the metal.

I hope Lexus gets the SC430 chip lesson sorted out and corrects it.
Old 07-30-03, 12:40 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Nine Types of Lexus Paint--Interesting

Originally posted by squarehat
VIII. Solid Color--no clearcoat (again lists 202 Black Onyx, not sure how it differs from type I.)
Looks like the difference here is that Type 8 color code 202 is is for the LX450 only. Every other code 202 appears to be Type 1.