Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Remove scratches on nav screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 11:02 PM
tdhkyk481
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove scratches on nav screen

hi, guys I just got an 2015 rcf . I saw some scratches on my nav screen . Do you guys know how to remove it? Thank you so much gg
Attached Thumbnails Remove scratches on nav screen-img_0219.jpg   Remove scratches on nav screen-img_0218.jpg  
Old 12-01-16, 07:11 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

That looks very interesting... almost as if the damage is within the screen.

I am not sure how you should approach that. If you're not sure, I would check with your dealership for help to determine if it is an issue with the LCD or if it is external damage on the outer surface of the screen.
Old 12-01-16, 08:05 AM
tdhkyk481
Driver School Candidate

The damage on the outer surface of the screen.i guess I always put my phone and wallet there. That's why had these scratches. Now trying to search how to remove the scratches there.
Old 12-01-16, 10:28 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, I would start by seeing if it is simply material transfer from your phone or wallet and not truly scratches. Use a soft microfiber towel with some solvent on it (alcohol or similar) and see if you can rub it away.

If they are scratches, you will need to use some sort of abrasive (polish) to remove them.

To be honest, I have no idea what kind of luck you will have with this... if it is a touch screen, it is likely very sensitive and either of these recommendations may not work or could cause more damage. If it is a hardened screen that isn't a touch screen, you may have better luck.

I'd be curious to know if you can make any improvements.

-Zach
Old 12-06-16, 09:06 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

that sure looks like the anti glare coating that came off. For my NX, I noticed a small section came off with simple wiping, then with just a damp cloth (water), more would come off with litte rubbing. Lexus replaced it. Several NX owners had this same issue, and I believe it affected some IS users as well.

If it is the coating and Lexus won't replace it, it can be a bear to remove completely to make the screen look even.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...een-right.html
Old 12-07-16, 01:39 PM
RRedline
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
that sure looks like the anti glare coating that came off. For my NX, I noticed a small section came off with simple wiping, then with just a damp cloth (water), more would come off with litte rubbing. Lexus replaced it. Several NX owners had this same issue, and I believe it affected some IS users as well.

If it is the coating and Lexus won't replace it, it can be a bear to remove completely to make the screen look even.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...een-right.html
This happened to my NX and I had to fight to get them to replace the screen under warranty (as documented in the linked thread above). On the NX, those marks all originate from the perimeter of the screen and radiate inward -- this led Lexus to conclude I had improperly applied some sort of fluid to the screen and it leached in behind the display panel. In these pics, the marks appear in the middle of the screen -- wish I could have shown this to Lexus back when I was fighting about this.

I believe that these marks, like the ones on my NX, are some sort of delamination of the layers that make up the display panel -- no amount of rubbing will make them go away because they are not on the outer surface.
Old 12-08-16, 12:34 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

actually, for my issue, it wasn't a delamination, part of the coating could literally be rubbed off (ok, granted, that's a type of delamination). After the small section of mine rubbed off, I brought it in and they agreed to replace it (they already replaced a few), but the screen wouldn't be in for a few days. So I took it home and figured it's getting replaced anyway, I experimented to see if I could just rub the entire coating off - used several cleansers, water, windex, 409...everything came off except a section around the edges. I'm sure I could have gotten that too, but I didn't want to put the effort in.