Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Polisher and foam choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-16, 10:26 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Polisher and foam choices

Hello, I wanted to do a light polish on my paint before I apply my ceramic coating...

I was thinking of purchasing a polisher and was looking into the Griot's Random Orbital Polisher 6".
As far as the polish, I was going to use Meguiars Ultimate Polish just to lightly fix any possible fine scratches in a new car.
I'm confused between which foam pad to purchase. Orange is for more heavy compounds and scratches. But should I get a black one or a red one?
A forum suggested using a red foam pad, since it's the least abrasive and aggressive and should work fine with Ultimate Polish...

I also have never machine polished my car before.
THanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...bital+polisher

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...141Z6T586QCJMW

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...141Z6T586QCJMW
Old 09-19-16, 10:58 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You're going to want to purchase several pads as there is no way to guarantee your success by recommending just one option. Every vehicle is unique, and you want to be prepared for all scenarios before you get started.

I highly recommend purchasing the following pads to have on hand for now and in the future. These is a "basic starter set" in my opinion...

Backing Plates
5" Backing Plate
3" Backing Plate

Buffing Pads
Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Discs - Great for removing heavier defects or for working with harder paint
Lake Country 5.5” and 3” Foam Pads (I suggest purchasing Light Cutting Pads, Polishing Pads, and Finishing Pads)
*I recommend a minimum of 2 of each pad in each size

I would also recommend reading these articles...
Polishing Pads: How Many Do I Need? by Zach McGovern
Analyzing Your Test Spot by Zach McGovern
Two Step Paint Correction Overview and Video Demo: 1937 Ford Coupe Hot Rod by Zach McGovern

And as always, please feel free to let me know if you've got any questions.

-Zach

Old 09-19-16, 10:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

I would grab a white and orange pad, start with the white if you feel the process is taking too long switch to orange. I have several different pads but find I only use the orange and white although I have not had to do any serious correction only minor scuffs and scratches.