Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water spots/dirt on glass of 2015 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-16, 09:59 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Water spots/dirt on glass of 2015 Camry

To make a long story short, I didn't get a chance to wash my Camry for nearly 2 months or so and when I finally did, I noticed the glass had water spots. Can this be corrected?

Also, I was under the impression that sprinklers cause water spots? Or does rain from mother nature cause this as well? And if so, why is it that if I wash my vehicle weekly I won't get these spots but leaving it untouched for 2 months did? Thanks
Old 09-10-16, 03:26 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Can it corrected? Well, yeah! Anything can be corrected, but the level of work is dependent on how bad the water spots are.

If it's not too bad, I'd start with a simple glass cleaner like Windex. If that does not work, try a clay bar with glass cleaner on the windshield. It's also possible that a solution of vinegar, lemon juice and water could take them out. If they are really bad, straight vinegar would be my next step.

Now, if things are absolutely terrible, you may need to take some polish or so abrasive compound to "scrape" the deposits away. I've never polished my windshield before, but maybe someone else on the forum has.

So, what causes water spots? Technically, if you watered your lawn with filtered water, then your sprinklers would not cause water spots. Hard water, or water with mineral and dirt deposits are what cause water spots. So, yes, rain can cause water spots if there is dirt, soot, or other airborne dust trapped in it. Now, if that airborne material is acidic, then you have acid rain...so yes, you could have acid rain spots on your glass. The other issue is you waited two months to wash the car. Some minerals could have been blown onto the car on a dry day. Once it rains, they stick to the paint and, bam, water spots!

Now...how about some pictures? And before and after picks if something works out!
Old 09-10-16, 04:06 PM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I googled acid rain and it appears that's what the stains on the glass are. Taking it to a detail shop this week and hoping they can remove the marks.

Last edited by bwsteg; 09-11-16 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-11-16, 06:17 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Very good answer above! I can't really add anything to it, but here are some helpful articles that I've written on this topic...

Understanding Water Spots & How to Avoid Them by Zach McGovern
Removing Water Spots by Zach McGovern

and some helpful articles from other professionals...
Ask-A-Pro: Removing Water Spots from the Paint by Chad Raskovich
Window Etching & Stain Removal | Getting the Most Out of Your Meguiar’s Cutting Discs by Brian Guy

-Zach