Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Does Water Repellent Glass Repel Water After Polishing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-17, 06:57 PM
cicio
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Does Water Repellent Glass Repel Water After Polishing?

I've heard Lexus is using rain repellent glass, but I'm wondering if somebody polishes the glass, does it still repels water? Does anyone know this? Just got the car painted last week and overspray on every window. Tried clay bar, razor blade but nothing really works. Considering polishing the glass.
Old 03-30-17, 07:21 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

It depends on how thick the water repellent layer is on the surface of the glass.

I have no answer to this, but theoretically if you remove only a small amount of material (less than the thickness of the hydrophobic surface) then the water repellent properties would be unchanged. On the flip side, if the hydrophobic surface is extremely thin, and the polishing process removes the entire layer, then you cannot expect the windshield to repel water in the same manner.
The following users liked this post:
cicio (03-30-17)
Old 03-30-17, 07:33 PM
cicio
Rookie

Thanks for this information. It's a GX460. I'm not sure about other lexus models but the glass on this one looks pretty thin. I have no idea how thick the hydrophobic surface is though, I guess polishing will be the last option for me.
Old 03-30-17, 07:49 PM
cicio
Rookie

Is there any other way that I can do to remove the over spray instead of polishing?
Old 03-30-17, 08:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cicio
Is there any other way that I can do to remove the over spray instead of polishing?

Try using clay bar.
Old 03-30-17, 08:15 PM
cicio
Rookie

Tried once but didn't work. I'm going to try some new clay bar tomorrow. Hope it will work better.
Old 03-30-17, 11:35 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From the Lexus manuals, it says the water repellant coating on front window glasses can be re-applied by dealerships if the coating gets damaged or worn off. So the worst case is to reapply it.
Old 03-31-17, 04:27 AM
cicio
Rookie

I will probably check this with the dealership. If it's just some kind of coating then I can understand it will be easy to get re-applied. What I am concerning is if the window repels the water because of the glass itself and I damage the glass, it will be impossible to restore.

Last edited by cicio; 03-31-17 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-31-17, 07:04 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cicio
I will probably check this with the dealership. If it's just some kind of coating then I can understand it will be easy to get re-applied. What I am concerning is if the window repels the water because of the glass itself and I damage the glass, it will be impossible to restore.
It is page 472 of owner's manual (for 2016 NX) - 7.1 Maintenance and Care ->Cleaning and Protecting Exterior. It says rain-repellent coating on glass can be repaired. But maybe dealership charges you a premium. Probably a high quality glass sealant DIY would cost less. I put glass sealant on all windows anyway. Especially for side windows , any good glass sealant would last a long time. It won't hurt to ask the dealership first before other actions.
The following users liked this post:
cicio (03-31-17)
Old 03-31-17, 07:38 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

RainX Water Repellent works just as well. Cost ~$5 to buy, and application is easy. Using a MF cloth or foam pad.

Only thing is that you may need to reapply it every few weeks.
Old 04-01-17, 07:21 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I removed the glass coating on my 2014 RX350 as it was blotchy and impeded visibility when it was raining, especially at night. I used a DA with a fairly aggressive pad and polish. It took more than one pass to remove the coating. Once removed, I applied Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating and all is well. This acts like a more permanent RainX.

That said, I'd take it back to the paint shop and ask them remove the overspray. Be aware that what is on the glass, is likely all over your paint as well. Do a baggie test to see how contaminated the paint surface is. The paint shop should be responsible and take care of the issue. But I'd ask them for the details of how they will remove the contamination. Good paint shops that know what they are doing don't get overspray all over the vehicle.
Old 04-01-17, 07:40 AM
cicio
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I removed the glass coating on my 2014 RX350 as it was blotchy and impeded visibility when it was raining, especially at night. I used a DA with a fairly aggressive pad and polish. It took more than one pass to remove the coating. Once removed, I applied Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating and all is well. This acts like a more permanent RainX.

That said, I'd take it back to the paint shop and ask them remove the overspray. Be aware that what is on the glass, is likely all over your paint as well. Do a baggie test to see how contaminated the paint surface is. The paint shop should be responsible and take care of the issue. But I'd ask them for the details of how they will remove the contamination. Good paint shops that know what they are doing don't get overspray all over the vehicle.
Yea. like you said, good shop won't get overspray. If they get overspray, that's probably not a good shop. That's also a reason why I don't want to take the car back to the shop anymore and let them deal with the overspray. I'm afraid that they will make it even worse.