Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint Coating Exact Steps

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 10:28 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Curryolla
So, because I love my RX so much, and because I am planning on keeping it for a long time, I gave my RX to a professional for a Full Body Paint Protection Film. Yep, you read that right...full body. Unfortunately, it turns out the RX is too "edgy," can you believe that?!?! My installer had to have three other installers from all around Cincinnati to try and get the film to wrap around edges and stick. Turns out, there is no way to lay film on the doors and rear 3/4 panel without some really ugly cut lines. And that step in the tailgate (below the window and around the emblem)...forget about it!!!

So, turns out Paint Coatings are the best way to go. I got Suntek (originally wanted XPEL but was convinced otherwise) film on the full front hood, full front fenders, grille slats, silver trim around grille, headlights, fog lights, mirrors, A-Pillar, leading edge of roof, door sills, door handle cups, door edges, and full rear bumper. AND (pertinent to this thread), I had the entire car and wheels coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Professional. As Kitlz said, the prep work is a pain. Since I wanted the car decontaminated (IronX, claybar, minor paint correction) before the film was installed, I went ahead and let the professional clean it up to film and coat the car. Pictures to come soon!!!
Really??? wow.. did you try this todd at esoteric? http://www.esotericdetail.com/

he's one of the best in the business.
Old 08-30-16, 10:49 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I really like the work that Todd does and from what I've seen, he is really good. But, Todd is about 20 minutes east of Columbus, Ohio and I bought my car from Cincinnati. It would be too long of a drive and I'd be risking putting rock chips on my fresh paint. And, three of the best installers in Cincinatti could not figure out how to perform a clean install.

It wasn't that the car could not be wrapped in film, rather that there would have too be too many release cuts to adhere properly. He specifically mentioned the area on the front doors around the mirror which has quite a few creases when I really had a look at it. My options were either have a lot of cut lines, take the mirror off and install the film (no thanks), or ceramic coating. I picked the coating. He said everything was manageable expect for the doors, rear fender, and under the back window on the tailgate.

Oh well... this is still more protection than any of my other cars.
Old 08-30-16, 01:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Too bad Curryolla. Someone in the 3RX forum did theirs and the cost was north of $5K. And even that doesn't guarantee protection against all rock chips and still needs maintenance. So look at it this way, you saved yourself lots of money for future details and chip repairs. Where's the pictures?
Old 08-30-16, 02:09 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Too bad Curryolla. Someone in the 3RX forum did theirs and the cost was north of $5K. And even that doesn't guarantee protection against all rock chips and still needs maintenance. So look at it this way, you saved yourself lots of money for future details and chip repairs. Where's the pictures?
Yep, my quote was also $5k, which I thought was reasonable considering the level of protection that film provides verses a coating. But you are right, the film would still get damaged. And I already regularly maintain my cars, so no problems there.

Right now, the film plus coating is quoted at $3k, so $2k worth of savings, I guess. I wish I had pictures, but I could not pick up the car today. Looks like it I'll be getting it back on Friday...

Last edited by Curryolla; 08-31-16 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-10-16, 10:08 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's a good price. I paid $1950 for full nose Suntek PPF plus roof portion prior to panoramic roof and then $1750 for 2 coats of Ceramic pro (including paint correction)
Old 09-10-16, 11:08 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by bwsteg
That's a good price. I paid $1950 for full nose Suntek PPF plus roof portion prior to panoramic roof and then $1750 for 2 coats of Ceramic pro (including paint correction)
I only went for one coat of Gtechniq Crystal Serum. But, I think $3000 is a fair price for all the stuff I got. Completely forgot about this thread. I've got pictures to share that my detailer took...

Old 09-10-16, 11:20 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of brown, but... Damn, that really looks good! Nicely done.
Old 09-10-16, 02:36 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by Zmon
I'm not a huge fan of brown, but... Damn, that really looks good! Nicely done.
Why, thank you! I'm a fan of earthy tones and tend to stick to Green, Blue, Brown, and Grey. Not sure what to get next...but Atomic Silver and Nightfall Mica are interesting Lexus colors. The biggest reason I picked Autumn Shimmer was for the wheel inserts. Just makes the car look cool!
Old 09-12-16, 10:11 AM
astyles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the self-healing paint on the 2016 RX. I've heard various opinions regarding whether to use a clay bar or not. The owner's manual says specifically: "Do not use wax that contain abrasives". Clay would be considered an abrasive.

Should clay be avoided? Also, I assume it is fine to apply a paint coating, but was wondering if it would have any negative impact on the self-healing paint layer.
Old 09-12-16, 10:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

astyles, my'16 RXh has suffered no ill effects from two layers of 22PLE HPC. The self healing paint doesn't last forever. According to the manual the lifespan is between five and eight years. Waxing is recommended. Coating brings it to another level IMO. You can try using Sonax Fallout Cleaner to get rid of most of the contaminants clay normally picks up. Now I did a light clay with Nanoskin followed by Megs 205 applied by hand. I wanted to make sure the surface was prepped properly. After coating, the RX has a glossier appearance. And I know it's protected.
Old 09-12-16, 11:10 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Detailing clay is not an abrasive. The particles it picks up can turn it into an abrasive substance, but a clay bar will not remove any paint material like a compound or polish will. When used properly, a fine grade or ultra fine grade clay bar will not harm your vehicle, so use as needed to remove contamination from your paint.
Old 09-15-16, 02:16 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Detailing clay is not an abrasive. The particles it picks up can turn it into an abrasive substance, but a clay bar will not remove any paint material like a compound or polish will. When used properly, a fine grade or ultra fine grade clay bar will not harm your vehicle, so use as needed to remove contamination from your paint.
would clay bar harm or remove a ceramic coating?
Old 09-15-16, 05:40 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by bwsteg
would clay bar harm or remove a ceramic coating?
No, the only way to remove a ceramic coating is with an abrasive (polish, compound, or sandpaper).

Detailing clay can be used as needed to remove bonded surface contaminants from the coating, though you will probably find that the vehicle does not need to be clayed nearly as often after the coating has been applied as it will resist dirt and contamination much better than traditional waxes or sealants. In fact, on my own cars, I am able to keep the vehicle nearly contaminant free with only ironx. I will clay the car every other year or so before I polish and apply a new layer of coating.

You can find more information in my article:
Maintaining Your Paint Coating by Zach McGovern
Old 09-15-16, 10:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

^Definitely agree on the cleaner part post coating. For some reason when I first got the RXh, dirt stuck like glue on the surface. The shelf on the tailgate was always filthy. Washing it was not fun. There was a huge difference after decontamination and 22PLE application. The surface looks and feels much better. Plus no more dirt trap on the tailgate. I'll hit it later this year with Sonax Fallout Cleaner before applying another coat of sealant. I have VS1 and Reload to choose from.
Old 09-15-16, 10:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I've done so much testing with coatings it isn't even funny.... one of the tests I have done in the past is to put a piece of tape down the middle of my hood. Apply a paint coating to one half and a traditional sealant to the other half. Without a doubt, the coating resists dirt much better, and therefore keeps the paint looking cleaner for longer periods of time.

I've been experimenting with paint coatings for the past 5 years, and I will never go back to traditional waxes or sealants on my personal vehicles.

Quick Reply: Paint Coating Exact Steps