Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Chemical Guys Products-Good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16, 06:59 PM
kochiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chemical Guys Products-Good?

Hi, newbie here, do any of you use and like Chemical Guys products? Their V Line series, Optical polishes and leather care products. If there's a thread on them please share. Thanks.
Old 02-23-16, 07:44 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

When it comes to polishes, I personally would look elsewhere.

Chemical guys makes (or rather puts their label on) a TON of products. Some are pretty good, most (again, in my opinion) are nothing special.

Here are some of my personal product recommendations:

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Wheels and Tires
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner - Great for heavy brake dust buildup!
EZ Detail Brush - a great tool to clean the barrels of your wheels! Pickup the large and mini brushes!
Wheel Woolies Kit - A great tool for cleaning wheel barrels, and other hard to reach places!
Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner & Tuf Shine Tire Brush
Opti-Bond Tire Gel - Water Based, so it helps nourish your rubber!

Washing:
Foam Lance (for pressure washers)
Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun - Attaches directly to your hose.
CG Honeydew Snow Foam - A great soap for your foam gun/cannon
2 Buckets & 2 Grit Guard (Package) - Essential equipment for safe washing!
Optimum Car Wash - A great maintenance shampoo.
Sheepskin Wash Mitt
Optimum No Rinse (ONR) - Rinseless Washing is a great way to quickly and safely clean your vehicle!

Bug & Tar:
Stoner Tarminator - This tar remover will quickly and easily remove tar buildup

Drying:
Microfiber Waffle Weave Towel
Metro Master Blaster - The safest way to dry your car is to not touch it at all!
Master Blaster Sidekick - This small blower moves an amazing amount of air and is perfect for making sure you don't have any water left in cracks and crevices!

Decontamination:
CarPro Iron X
DI Fine Grade Clay
NanoSkin Glide (clay lubricant)

Polish:
Meg's M100 Cutting Compound (SMAT)
Meg's M205 Finishing Polish (SMAT)

Sealant:
Menzerna Power Lock Synthetic Polymer Sealant
Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection

Wax:
Chemical Guys Pete's '53 Black Pearl Signature Paste Wax
Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax - a truly premium show car wax that

Semi-Permanent Protective Coatings
22ple VX3 Signature Coating - A silica based coating that will provide great protection and maximum gloss! Very easy to apply.
CarPro CQuartz - another silica based coating option from CarPro.

Buffers:
Griot's Garage 3rd Gen DA Polisher - Affordable, Effective, Reliable, and most of all SAFE FOR EVERYONE TO USE! This product is backed by a lifetime manufacturer warranty.

Backing Plates:
5" Backing Plate
3" Backing Plate

Buffing Pads:
Meguiar's MicroFiber Cutting Discs - Great for removing heavier defects or for working with harder paint
Lake Country 5.5” and 3” Foam Pads (I typically recommend Orange Light Cutting Pads, White Polishing Pads, Black Finishing Pads, and Blue Fine Finishing Pads)

Glass:
Stoner's Invisible Glass

Metal
CG Metal Wax Polish and Protection

Microfiber
Quality microfiber is one of the best investments you can make. You must make sure that only the best products are touching the surface of your car so that you are not scratching or damaging the surface.
Black & Yellow Towel - Perfect for removing polishes, sealants, waxes, etc. Plush on one side and shorter nap on the other. My go to towel for most of the work I do!
Double Thick Edgeless Towel - Perfect for quick detailers, rinseless washing, and other tasks where plush towels are needed.
Black All Purpose Towel - A must have towel! The black color helps to hide any stains that may occur during use. I use these towels exclusively on wheels, exhaust tips, engine bays, and other dirtier areas.
Micro-Restore Microfiber Detergent - Works great to clean your microfiber and help them maintain that "like new" softness.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 02-23-16 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 06:29 AM
kochiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Zmcgovern4, thank you for your response! I will take a look at your recommendations. Another question, do you have experiences with Zaino? I have been using them for a number of yrs but want something that is easy, quick and gives that WOW look.
Old 02-24-16, 06:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by kochiman
Hi Zmcgovern4, thank you for your response! I will take a look at your recommendations. Another question, do you have experiences with Zaino? I have been using them for a number of yrs but want something that is easy, quick and gives that WOW look.
Another opinionated response, but to me, Zaino is quite dated. The products haven't been updated or changed in many, many years and while they do work, there are plenty of other options out there to consider.

In the end, if you have something you like, stick to it... but if you are looking for something new, there are tons of great options from other manufacturers out there.

-Zach
Old 02-24-16, 01:28 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

These towels are excellent and even cheaper when you add the subscription:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o08_s00
Old 02-26-16, 09:14 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i used Chemical Guys when i began detailing... i have not used their products in years. end comment... i actually liked the Jetseal 109 and the Blitz. IMO their are much much better products on the market...

Last edited by sydtoosic; 02-26-16 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-26-16, 10:23 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i used Chemical Guys when i began detailing... i have not used their products in years. end comment... i actually liked the Jetseal 109 and the Blitz. IMO their are much much better products on the market...
Which products did you not like? The supplies like towels, mitts and sponges or the cleaners, waxes and polishes? Cause some of the supplies are pretty darn affordable and effective from what I've seen. Be good to get you take on it, thanks!
Old 02-27-16, 05:14 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Most of them work fine, they just aren't anything special. They are very affordable because the majority of the products are simply repackaged from large suppliers. Again, nothing wrong with most of them, but there are just a lot of other products I would prefer in the place of most CG products.
Old 02-27-16, 09:58 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

The worst part about CG is their website and oversaturation of products. Makes it very confusing for anyone shopping.
Old 02-28-16, 05:14 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Which products did you not like? The supplies like towels, mitts and sponges or the cleaners, waxes and polishes? Cause some of the supplies are pretty darn affordable and effective from what I've seen. Be good to get you take on it, thanks!
I did not care for the shampoos... Citrus wash and gloss, honeydew snow foam , maxi suds. I did like the Sasquatch towels, the el Gordo towels... I did not like Lava, or the wheel cleaner (el Diablo)... I did like the HV7... I tried lots of CG products and they just did not do it for me in terms of cost effectiveness and that wow factor... Or the " oh this is cool " reaction. CG is not the only products that do not do it for me... We have Zaino, Blackfire... No offense to anyone who likes or chooses those products... They are just not for me. Did not like CG M-Seal, the glaze, forgot the name... I can go on but this would be a long reply...
Old 02-28-16, 10:52 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
I did not care for the shampoos... Citrus wash and gloss, honeydew snow foam , maxi suds. I did like the Sasquatch towels, the el Gordo towels... I did not like Lava, or the wheel cleaner (el Diablo)... I did like the HV7... I tried lots of CG products and they just did not do it for me in terms of cost effectiveness and that wow factor... Or the " oh this is cool " reaction. CG is not the only products that do not do it for me... We have Zaino, Blackfire... No offense to anyone who likes or chooses those products... They are just not for me. Did not like CG M-Seal, the glaze, forgot the name... I can go on but this would be a long reply...
:thumb: That's great man, appreciate your feedback. One thing I love about forums are the diverse opinions and shared knowledge. We all have our favorites and I like to hear what others like as well as don't like.
Old 03-01-16, 11:17 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Great stuff in tis thread...
Looking forward to some sunny, warmer days out this way.
Time for some paint correction!
Old 03-01-16, 01:11 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Great stuff in tis thread...
Looking forward to some sunny, warmer days out this way.
Time for some paint correction!
You mean like Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and so on and so on?
Old 03-02-16, 01:34 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Yea...go ahead and rub it in bud...rub it in...
Old 03-02-16, 03:21 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

lol...

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Yea...go ahead and rub it in bud...rub it in...

Quick Reply: Chemical Guys Products-Good?