Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Questions on Menzerna 3in1

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 07:00 AM
PEK
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions on Menzerna 3in1

Hi,
Looked it up online but still confused of how to properly used it. Tried using it this weekend with 4inch white pad & porter cable. Saw some improvement but wasn't "WOW" improvement. I did small section with the PC speed of 2 then immediately wiped down. Then continued 1 more time in the same fashion. Here are the questions for the gurus:
- should I put some pressure while using PC?
-should I set a higher speed when using polish? I always set a low speed when using pc for wax just to avoid hologram effect
-should I leave it on a bit before wiping it down?

Appreciate any tricks & tips. TIA
Old 07-20-15, 09:02 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PEK
Hi,
Looked it up online but still confused of how to properly used it. Tried using it this weekend with 4inch white pad & porter cable. Saw some improvement but wasn't "WOW" improvement. I did small section with the PC speed of 2 then immediately wiped down. Then continued 1 more time in the same fashion. Here are the questions for the gurus:
-should I set a higher speed when using polish? I always set a low speed when using pc for wax just to avoid hologram effect

Menzerna 3 in 1 is an all-in-one product meaning it is a cleaner, polish, and sealant all in the same step. Depending on what results you need, you may use it differently to produce the results you are after.

If you need to maximize cut (defect removal), you're going to want to use this product on a polishing pad or even something more aggressive like a light cutting pad. You're going to want to use moderate pressure and a machine speed of 4-6. Make 3-6 passes as needed.

If you're simply looking to add a bit of clarity and gloss to the paint, but don't necessarily need to remove swirls and other defects, you could consider using it on a polishing pad or finishing pad with lighter pressure and a lower machine speed (around 3-4), while making 2-4 passes per section.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you've got any other questions.

-Zach
Old 07-20-15, 09:19 AM
PEK
Rookie

Thanks Zach, that's very informative. Does it need curing time between the pass?
Old 07-20-15, 09:31 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by PEK
Thanks Zach, that's very informative. Does it need curing time between the pass?
No, wipe off immediately after you're finished polishing the section.
Old 07-20-15, 09:38 AM
PEK
Rookie

Thanks Zach
Old 07-20-15, 06:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,550 Posts

I have some of this stuff and honestly I think it is pure crap. I used it once for a few minutes and concluded there is no point to ever use it again.
Old 07-21-15, 05:41 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I have some of this stuff and honestly I think it is pure crap. I used it once for a few minutes and concluded there is no point to ever use it again.
It helps if you can elaborate as to why you disliked a product.

Thanks

-Zach
Old 07-21-15, 09:33 AM
swoo350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to see if anyone actually had good results out of this product. I don't expect it to work like the 2 step compound and finish combos but using this would possibly cut your detailing time down if you're looking to do a quick job?
Old 07-21-15, 09:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PEK
Hi,

I have never used this 3 in 1 and I am not sure how effective a product like that is really going to be in getting rid of swirls and also protecting especially if it uses carnauba but from the sounds of it you are not using the correct polishing method if you were trying to get rid of swirls, scratches, or any defects.

With a PC you need to apply pressure to get rid of swirls and for the polishes to properly break down, you can't just use the weight of the machine. My first time using a PC I did not use much if any pressure and the results were poor, it barely made a difference. Once I applied pressure it was night and day and did take away the swirls and hazing and finished down very well.

You need to use a higher speed when polishing 2 then just 2, I put it on 5 or 6 when polishing to get rid of swirls and scratches and for the polish to break down properly.

I would suggest just using a dedicated polish like Menzerna IP(or whatever the new version is), use a finishing polish if needed, properly wash the oils off and then use a dedicated sealant or wax for your protection. I am not exactly sure how effective a polish is that also has carnauba is going to be at removing swirls/scratches and it may give you issues with pads plus it is doubtful you can use the higher speeds in waxing your car effectively. Seems like this product is just going to hold you back from getting a good finish and providing solid protection.
Old 07-21-15, 11:26 AM
PEK
Rookie

Thanks UDel for your insight, will definitely give it a try again with your recommendation this weekend
Old 07-21-15, 01:28 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by swoo350
I'm curious to see if anyone actually had good results out of this product. I don't expect it to work like the 2 step compound and finish combos but using this would possibly cut your detailing time down if you're looking to do a quick job?
The purpose of these all-in-one type products is to do just that... save time.

The correction will certainly not be comparable to a 2 step correction process which begins with heavier cutting and then careful refining. The AIO will allow you to do some moderate/light correction while also applying protection in the same step.

These types of products are great for someone who is not after a nearly flawless finish, but still wants a car that is leaps and bounds better looking than most others on the road. You can also use an AIO as the 2nd step in a two-step correction process if you wish to save a little time when it comes to eliminating the application of a sealant or wax.

I haven't ever used this particular Menzerna 3in1 product, but the theory of AIOs is not new. Some other popular options are Griot's Garage BOSS Finishing Sealant, Blackfire Total Polish and Seal, Klasse All In One, and Meguiar's Paint Reconditioning Cream D151.

-Zach
Old 07-21-15, 04:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,550 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
It helps if you can elaborate as to why you disliked a product.

Thanks

-Zach
Didn't do defect removal very well, left a haze or residue that is difficult to remove. Just a bad product I'll stick to a 2-3 stage process.
Old 07-22-15, 10:36 AM
swoo350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
The purpose of these all-in-one type products is to do just that... save time.

The correction will certainly not be comparable to a 2 step correction process which begins with heavier cutting and then careful refining. The AIO will allow you to do some moderate/light correction while also applying protection in the same step.

These types of products are great for someone who is not after a nearly flawless finish, but still wants a car that is leaps and bounds better looking than most others on the road. You can also use an AIO as the 2nd step in a two-step correction process if you wish to save a little time when it comes to eliminating the application of a sealant or wax.

I haven't ever used this particular Menzerna 3in1 product, but the theory of AIOs is not new. Some other popular options are Griot's Garage BOSS Finishing Sealant, Blackfire Total Polish and Seal, Klasse All In One, and Meguiar's Paint Reconditioning Cream D151.

-Zach
I may possibly buy this AIO and test it out on my mom's Corolla or something lol. I will post results if I do.
Old 07-22-15, 10:45 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by swoo350
I may possibly buy this AIO and test it out on my mom's Corolla or something lol. I will post results if I do.
I would personally recommend Meguiar's D151 or Blackfire Total Polish and Seal as I have used both with excellent results.

Just to reiterate... you cannot expect the same results as using a true polish and especially not comparable to a 2-step correction process. These AIO products are simply meant for paint enhancement and time savings, but should not be regarded as a replacement for true correction when needed. Many people don't benefit from a true paint correction as they will not maintain the vehicle appropriately afterwards, so an AIO type product may be a great option to restore some clarity and gloss while not spending too much time striving for perfection that will be ruined with one trip through the car wash.

-Zach
Old 08-03-15, 12:58 PM
PEK
Rookie

Meant to update this product few weeks ago. After some advice from Zach & UDel, I tried it again with a higher speed & pressure. The result is day & night. I would give this product 10/10 on depth & clarity, 5/10 for removing fine scratches & swirls and 7/10 on the ease of product removal. Overall I'm satisfy with the Menzerna 3in1 for an amateur detailer since it's pretty much a 1 step process. If I want to completely remove fine scratches, I will need to spend more time with a 2 stepper (polish then wax, the real way).

Deeper scratches

Tried to capture the fine scratches but failed